Author Topic: PR5 Feedback  (Read 6073 times)

Offline armstrongracer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s, KTM 950sm, some racing stinkwheels.
PR5 Feedback
« on: March 01, 2021, 01:38:11 pm »
Been running PR5's for about 5 months now, mostly in winter so this weekend was the first time they could be used in anger so to speak.  Thoughts:

Roll into corners really well, very neutral. Steering a bit slow but I fitted 28mm linkage plates at the weekend which helps.

Grip in rain and on greasy roads is exceptional. Not even a twitch all winter. Since everyone switched to diesel about 10 years ago Dublin roads seem to be covered in a layer of slime on cold winter mornings. My SM on Z8 Interacts was twitching & sliding everywhere. Much higher grip levels when properly wet though. K13 on PR5 doesnt do this, maybe the weight helps.

Dry grip, no issues.  Still exploring this  ;D

Other observations after fitting boxer design plates and doing the 18k linkage service in the process.

Surprised how low unfastening force was on the bolts, certainly less than 38NM, also no signs of loctite ever being used on the bolts. (think plates were still as factory fitted)
Bearings whilst not dry were hardly over greased.  Lots of manufacturers seem to be a bit mean with bearing grease.
On K40 at least dogbone pins are really good, DLC coated. Suspension and swing arm pins are ordinary chrome.
Seals must be good, despite regular power washing no signs of corrosion on any of the needles.

28mm linkage makes it steer nicely but back end is really high and weight is pitched even more onto my wrists. Havent fitted helibars & Sargent seat yet.
I know its counter intuitive but raising the back has dramatically improved high speed stability. Mine was always prone to sidewinds and twitching when passing big trucks at speed. That seems to have gone. Maybe extra weight on front wheel helps.

Finally, I need sidestand extenders. Can only seem to find Chinese stuff, can someone recommend a reputable extender.

Thanks.

Online Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: PR5 Feedback
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2021, 04:37:55 pm »
I have Chinese on another bike. Top stuff and cheap as chips.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2021, 05:55:36 pm »
Been running PR5's for about 5 months now, mostly in winter so this weekend was the first time they could be used in anger so to speak.  Thoughts:

Roll into corners really well, very neutral. Steering a bit slow but I fitted 28mm linkage plates at the weekend which helps.

Grip in rain and on greasy roads is exceptional. Not even a twitch all winter. Since everyone switched to diesel about 10 years ago Dublin roads seem to be covered in a layer of slime on cold winter mornings. My SM on Z8 Interacts was twitching & sliding everywhere. Much higher grip levels when properly wet though. K13 on PR5 doesnt do this, maybe the weight helps.

Dry grip, no issues.  Still exploring this  ;D

Other observations after fitting boxer design plates and doing the 18k linkage service in the process.

Surprised how low unfastening force was on the bolts, certainly less than 38NM, also no signs of loctite ever being used on the bolts. (think plates were still as factory fitted)
Bearings whilst not dry were hardly over greased.  Lots of manufacturers seem to be a bit mean with bearing grease.
On K40 at least dogbone pins are really good, DLC coated. Suspension and swing arm pins are ordinary chrome.
Seals must be good, despite regular power washing no signs of corrosion on any of the needles.

28mm linkage makes it steer nicely but back end is really high and weight is pitched even more onto my wrists. Havent fitted helibars & Sargent seat yet.
I know its counter intuitive but raising the back has dramatically improved high speed stability. Mine was always prone to sidewinds and twitching when passing big trucks at speed. That seems to have gone. Maybe extra weight on front wheel helps.

Finally, I need sidestand extenders. Can only seem to find Chinese stuff, can someone recommend a reputable extender.

Thanks.

I posted a similar route a while bike Dog bones were steeper as i’m Mostly two up, tyre wise started with PR5’s...never overly happy with the front and fitted a Power RS and was that pleased fitted the same on the rear, do keep a PR5 rear in stock which could go on anyone of 3 bikes if we ever become free enough to go any kind of serious distance as in south of the Pyrenees at least....just currently dreaming.....

Offline armstrongracer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2021, 06:01:42 pm »
Cheers,

I do 1200 miles/month just on commuting so PR5's are probably the best compromise between life and grip. Just as an FYI in case I wanted more grip on the front. Can you mix Power RS front with PR5 rear?

Thanks also Phil, the Chinese ones are cheap enough to buy 2 and double stack the pucks. Looking at the pictures they've thoughtfully through drilled the mounting holes.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 06:25:07 pm by armstrongracer »

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2021, 06:31:44 pm »
Did exactly the same with Dunlop’s , Sport Smart front and Road Smart rear and had no problems with Mich’s, but use wise we are both ends of the spectrum, I haven’t worn a tyre out in years...the moment the tyre starts to square it’s gone.

Offline armstrongracer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2021, 07:09:29 pm »
Like you I'm still dreaming of wearing my tyres out on a trip to Imola or Portamao. Maybe next year...

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2021, 11:15:21 am »
What I forgot....

Side stand..never found an extender I was happy with, so got your classic oval plastic puck that you put you sidestand on dodgy ground...put it on a piece of plywood(mine is 20mmthick) bang a couple of self tappers in, then cut around it with a jigsaw then run a sander round it, and I carry that in my tank bag, must be 10 years old now...

Offline armstrongracer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2021, 08:50:54 pm »
When I fitted the riser plates I left belly pan off pending fitment of full akro system.  Planned to do it this weekend but Motogp got in the way so I put belly pan back on.  I then discovered an issue:  With bike sitting leant over on sidestand (no extender) the back of the pan touches the back tyre.  If I put a block under the stand to match normal angle it doesnt touch but its close. When I sit on the bike it's clear but not a massive gap, about the thickness of a hand.

I'd worry about it clouting coming off a big bump. Is this clearance ok to ride with, anyone with experience of riser plates?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 08:52:43 pm by armstrongracer »

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2021, 09:58:05 pm »
I'd be very wary of riding it like that. Maybe you could trim the belly pan a bit.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2021, 10:03:08 pm »
Is this the same pan that gets trimmed to fit the centre stand? If so at least we have trimming precedent! And I believe there are indents or something to guide the cuts.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
  • My K bike model:: K1300s 2009
  • Modifications and add-ons:: rear splash guard, Sargent seat and pod, 35mm bar risers
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2021, 10:50:12 pm »
What I forgot....

Side stand..never found an extender I was happy with, so got your classic oval plastic puck that you put you sidestand on dodgy ground...put it on a piece of plywood(mine is 20mmthick) bang a couple of self tappers in, then cut around it with a jigsaw then run a sander round it, and I carry that in my tank bag, must be 10 years old now...

I keep my puck in my pocket. Have tied a length of string so I just drop it on the deck and move it under the side sand and wrap the end of the string round the bar grip. Easy to pickup while astride the bike when leaving.
Its not always the destination that counts its the ride, having a destination just stops you going round in circles.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2021, 08:09:42 am »
Bending down to pick it up is my check on flexibility  :) :) :)

Offline armstrongracer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2021, 11:51:03 am »
Hi Chris,  I know you have done various linkage plate modifications, not sure if they were on the S model. However, have you seen the back wheel get this close to the bellypan before. 

Online Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2021, 12:16:09 pm »
Bending down to pick it up is my check on flexibility  :) :) :)

When you get to be as old as Ron, then you'll probably forget to tie the strong to the bar, bend over to pickit up and fall on your head...

Online Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2021, 12:17:27 pm »
Is this the same pan that gets trimmed to fit the centre stand? If so at least we have trimming precedent! And I believe there are indents or something to guide the cuts.

Not the same trimming needed...when correctly trimmed, the cuts can't be seen unless you get run over by a K  8)