Author Topic: Old new member.  (Read 6111 times)

Offline Devon 1200s

• 2008 k1200s
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200s
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Akrapovic slip on can. MRA screen. Standard BMW sport panniers, SW Motech rear rack, Krauser k5 top box, 55 profile rear tyre, Carbon Fibre rear hugger, Power commander 5
Re: Old new member.
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2020, 10:38:30 am »
Now you need to order the screws to go with it, take them to your local emporium and buy stainless ones the same size, then bin the horrid originals  8)

What type/size screws are they? I’ve probably got something similar but if you can recommend something, I’d be very grateful 👍
k1200s. 08 plate. Located in Devon.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2020, 12:40:11 pm »
Hmm! If only I had a pound for every time someone has asked me that down the years. Being a wally, I wrote it in a yellow sticky which was in a box of bits but in the great move the box got binned along with the sticky...

They are only self tappers and go through the rear mudguard (the bit you've ordered) and into what I would call the rear mudguard (the black plastic tail end unit) which has holes/bosses with holes moulded in.

If you get down and dirty with a decent torch you'll see what I mean. A poky stick will tell you the length and a bit of Plasticine or BluTack will tell you the plain diameter of the three holes.

The stainless screws are really only an issue if you need to remove the thing in the future e.g. to remove your number plate if it is fastened with nuts and bolts as the mudguard thingy covers the top two nuts. When I tried removing the mudguard on my K12S (the only bike in known history which had the guard fitted as standard as it was a press bike) the screws just chewed up and trying to drill the heads out just melted the plastic...

Offline Devon 1200s

• 2008 k1200s
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200s
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Akrapovic slip on can. MRA screen. Standard BMW sport panniers, SW Motech rear rack, Krauser k5 top box, 55 profile rear tyre, Carbon Fibre rear hugger, Power commander 5
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2020, 09:13:56 pm »
I’m pretty sure I’ll find something to fit it. Thank you for the pointers
k1200s. 08 plate. Located in Devon.