Author Topic: New member  (Read 2551 times)

Offline Paul R

• View Profile
« on: February 21, 2020, 01:51:57 pm »
Hi everyone - it's a newbie from Yorkshire !

I'm sneaking onto the forum, in advance as I don't own a K but am looking at buying my first one.

I currently have a Ducati 748 that I will be keeping, but I am wanting something that me and the Mrs. can go do some mileage on - starting in the UK and then wandering into Europe. ( And no, that's not happening on the 748 ! )

I am looking to buy a K1300S so I am just starting looking for one -albeit at the bottom end of the price range as that was the only way I could get it past t'other half - circa £4k - but that seems to get something reasonable with 25-35k miles and history.  If it something a little more or a little less, but really stands out then I'll still have a look.

So my intention is to use you all where I can for a little knowledge, support and suggestions on my road to BMW ownership please - watch out for the soon to appear post "Help  buying a K1300S" - unless there is a 'sticky' for that sort of thing?  I am still finding my way round the site at the moment..............

And then hopefully I will have a shiny (old) K1300S sat in the garage alongside a yellow 748.

Cheers in advance and always happy to contribute / assist in return where I can !

Paul.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 03:27:38 pm by Paul R »

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Re: New memeber
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 01:57:52 pm »
Hello and welcome Paul.
A BMW extended warranty is a very very good idea and will save you a fortune should anything go wrong.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: New memeber
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2020, 02:54:05 pm »
Hi Paul and welcome to the madhouse that is EuroKClub!

Unlike the K12 which had lots of warnings for would be owners, the K13 is fairly bullet-proof bar a couple of odds and sods, the hot start issue for one and peeling paintwork on final drive and forks being another.

The warranty that Rae spoke of is available to any K whether or not you buy from a dealer although you get one from a dealer if you buy there and can then extend it once it runs out. Budget around a pound a day for the warranty. If the bike already has the warranty make sure you can transfer it into your name, we have experts on everything in here and Richard will be along in a moment to enlighten you on this.

If you intend to go touring, make sure the bike has the Sport Cases fitted (canvas-look expandable bubble boxes). You can buy them second-hand but it can be an expensive way of going. Dealers will leave them on, some private sellers will take them off and sell separately. If you buy eith them fitted you get keyed-alike features without having to pick locks etc.

Needless to say, I would always go for a full BMW service history which buys you peace of mind that all the correct fluids have been used.

A bang going into 1st is normal (they really do all do that sir!) but make sure you are fully happy with the clutch, squeals, judders or rattles and I would walk away.

Good luck and keep us informed. Brian

Offline Paul R

• View Profile
Re: New member
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2020, 03:53:53 pm »
Cheers gents for the quick replies above.

Are there different BMW warranties (dealer based/insurance underwritten) ?

I had a quick look ( admittedly very quick) but it read as though there was a £1000 limit for something that cost £400 in the first place.  Or have I been looking at the wrong thing ?

And I have seen 1 post about buying a K13 - is there a general/sticky guide ?  Before I go and put a post in next with questions that makes everyone roll their eyes for the 487th time of answering the same questions !

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2020, 03:59:47 pm »
...and Richard will be along in a moment to enlighten you on this.

Warranty - 3 types:
- non-BMW. If you buy from a non-BMW dealer you usually get 30 days warranty. I wouldn't pay to extend that, unless you have prior knowledge of the dealer, and trust them to do a good job if a problem occurs.
- BMW dealer warranty. Not transferable to the next owner. Don't get fooled into paying extra for this!
- BMW personal/bike warranty. This is transferable from one owner to the next, so it has some value, depending on the time left to run.

Both BMW warranties have a choice of excess - £0, £50, £100. I've only ever gone for £100.

If the seller claims it comes with a BMW warranty, ask which one. As Brian says it's around £350-400 per annum, and you can add European breakdown at a reasonable price.

If you do find a bike with warranty, ring BMW insurance before buying, and make sure they will transfer it. I believe they have the option to refuse - can't think why, but if they did, alarm bells would be ringing!

Also on the warranty front, be aware that the suspension (ESA) isn't covered after 30k miles - nor is any radiator clogging.

If you intend to go touring, make sure the bike has the Sport Cases fitted (canvas-look expandable bubble boxes). You can buy them second-hand but it can be an expensive way of going. Dealers will leave them on, some private sellers will take them off and sell separately. If you buy eith them fitted you get keyed-alike features without having to pick locks etc.
Sports panniers are around £300 per pair secondhand + you'll need a frame & mounts at £150. So if you want them, get one with them on already.

Other things to think about:
- full service history. I'd definitely favour bikes with this.
- mileage. We have a 1200 about to hit 100k on the forum, so both 1200 and 1300 will go a decent distance, and the warranty is good up to 100k.
- number of owners. I'd normally tend towards low owners (= some care/love for the bike), but to be honest for my two K1300s it made no difference. 3 previous owners with only 8k, and no problems. I guess they just didn't gel with the bike.

Lastly, as a 748 owner, you won't believe how comfy a K can be. I did a 24 hour rally with someone on a 748, and he was crippled at the end. And I thought I would be the one to suffer on super-vibrating Laverda. Turns out I had it easy.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 04:01:55 pm by richtea »

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2020, 04:05:30 pm »
Policy book, if you want to have a read:
www.poqit.com/Policy_handbook_0518.pdf

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2020, 04:09:11 pm »
And I have seen 1 post about buying a K13 - is there a general/sticky guide ?

Its a very good point. We might just have to do that.
You ask the questions, we'll build the guide!

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2020, 06:04:08 pm »
The BMW extended warranty underwritten by Mondial is transferable if paid yearly if monthly it's not transferable.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2020, 06:38:20 pm »
I think that the budget might be a bit on the meagre side.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2020, 07:11:11 pm »
Blimey Tom you must have worked in the diplomatic service in another life  :)

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2020, 07:21:47 pm »
I think that the budget might be a bit on the meagre side.

Depends on what you're after, but another £500 gets you some sensible choices - all with full service history.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-K1300S-2009-34k-miles-Good-condition-12-months-MoT-HPI-clear/233498274853?hash=item365d94ec25:g:KK0AAOSw7rReJHGX
Some caliper bolt corrosion, but no obvious flaking paint. Nice screen if you're tall?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202001236469955?postcode=de30sg&radius=1501&model=K1300S&advertising-location=at_bikes&make=BMW&sort=price-asc&page=1
No obvious corrosion (to my eye). Slightly iffy hugger from Puig. Centre stand & non-standard rack. Replacement levers. RAM mount for satnav. Heated grips.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202001276617605?postcode=de30sg&radius=1501&model=K1300S&advertising-location=at_bikes&make=BMW&sort=price-asc&page=1
Quite new, high mileage, and with matching shaft and fork corrosion. It is just cosmetic, but it's not so pretty. Centre stand.

Online Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2020, 07:43:48 pm »
That's the worst corrosion I've ever seen! It's spreading like scaly face on a budgie!

The lava orange one has what looks like engine corrosion at the back of it, and the seat looks at the bottom edge like something has been going on.

I do like the tricolour one still. Memories! Good to see bmw stamps.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2020, 08:12:55 pm »
Looking at second hand 1300's is not something I do so its certainly been done with a fresh approach,the only one that comes even close is this one and even then over budget and assuming it stands up the un-clogged radiator inspection.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-K1300S-SPORT-QUICKSHIFTER-AND-HEATED-GRIPS/223875510559?hash=item342005311f:g:C7kAAOSw6hZcwM80

With the correct rear rack on as well for a 55L soft BMW bag which carries the kitchen sink....I don't pack it  :)

Online Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2020, 08:18:20 pm »
Those Dymag on yours Chris?

The linked one looks nice, much cleaner rear drive and forks.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2020, 08:25:57 pm »
I’m rather keen on Dymags with 3 other bikes that have them but at the time I was looking for the K all those years ago Dymag were bankrupt and they are BST’s which came from a dealer in the States.