Author Topic: R1200RS  (Read 6333 times)

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
R1200RS
« on: December 04, 2017, 08:37:06 pm »
Had this bike for a week as a courtesy bike and did 500 miles in wet cold windy and occasionally sunny weather.
First impressions were not great as I was battered by heavy rain and wind for about 90 miles and less rain and spray for another 60. Weather protection not as good as the K12, I tried the windscreen up and down with little noticeable effect other than noise. I believe you can mount it in 2 positions by  unbolting it and refitting on another set of lugs but I didn't get that far. I thought the bulk of the front end of the bike and the engine would help but it didn't. The aerodynamics are smooth enough in better weather, not when it gets unpleasant.
The fancy display screen gets covered in water when its raining and the small print is difficult to read. The display has various options. I started off with one that had a linear rev counter but I binned that one as it was difficult to see, and used one that had the speed in big digital numbers which given my recent record was the most appropriate. I would guess you can tailor the display by fiddling in the menus somewhere but I just wanted to keep it simple.There's a conventional speedo too but I more or less ignored that as the big numbers were easier.
Took a few miles to figure out all the buttons and switches on the left hand bar especially in the dark but I found I don't really need all of them. The high beam button is a flick with your forefinger which was a bit odd. Cruise control was a faff initially but I got used to it, the only niggle was its difficult to be smooth when disengaging, if you don't accelerate slightly so you know you've caught the engine with the throttle then theres a jerk of deceleration as you brake or disengage.
It did 53.7mpg first tank and then 58.7mpg with the cruise control nailed on 70. Call it 56mpg average.  Would have saved me nearly £1700 over the last 3 years / 54000 miles compared to the 43mpg of the K. I managed to squeeze 17litres in after 221 miles and getting down to range = 2 without knowing the tank size or the fuel gauge reliability but have just found out its 18 litres so 200 mile tank range easy.
I dare say you might ride it a bit harder as it loosens up , there was a noticeable difference in the response when I picked it up at 512miles and gave it back at 1020. However the early instant torque response soon becomes breathless, which isnt what the mags say, maybe still not run in, but you are past traffic easy and I can understand why the engine is liked by so many. Its no sports bike though, more tourer, whereas I think the K is more sports than touring. Very light clutch, goes into first so quietly I had to check it was in gear. If you are doing less than 10mph per gear it chugs a bit, especially at lower speeds. I found myself in 3rd a lot around Hinkley.
The suspension is plusher than mine, I tried road and dynamic but stuck with road as I bounced around the Somerset lanes as dynamic was a bit crashy over the bumps. I'm sure there is infinite electronic menus to adjust to your liking but I didn't have the time or daylight to fiddle and ride the various combinations. Initially I could feel the steering pushing back at me and was having to use the widespread bars to lever it into corners, but that went off after a few days, maybe the tyres hadn't been scrubbed in. There were a few funny sensations of the tyres moving on the road, it was slippery and wet generally, but after the first couple I wasn't too worried as the bike didn't get upset. Forgot to note the tyres but not as positive in the wet corners as my PR3s. The brakes are very good, at least as good as my K12.
The riding position reminded me of my old Suzuki TS trail bikes that I started riding on in 1978. Sitting up and you can see further. I was pleased I could get my feet down, sufficiently lower seat than a GS to be comfortable at the lights. There's a bit of shuffle space in the seat too. However the water runs into your crutch in the rain.
Mirrors ok and blur free, just a bit small
The main beam headlight is crap, like riding into a black hole, and could not find how to adjust it, dealer having a look. Good spread on dip though.  The rear lights spread so wide I kept catching sight of the light in the corner of my eye, makes you think there's something behind you when there isn't.
The heated handgrips are a typical bmw quirk, 1 press for maximum heat which is almost too hot, 2 presses for low, but with first frost of the year on the seat, thank you anyway i'll have some of that
There was a rack on it which my large soft bag went straight onto with the strap underneath and a couple of the tie straps that come with the bag fixed to the grab rail. So easy I am contemplating getting a carrier for the K. My tankbag strapped vertically to the front of the bag with a couple of bungees. Still plenty of room from me.

If i was given one I'd probably keep it, but spend £12k on it - no chance. I'd say a bike for maybe the 8 months of the year when the weather isn't too bad. If they put a half fairing or K style fairing on it it and dropped the riding position a bit, it would be a better proposition.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: R1200RS
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 09:55:07 pm »
Good write-up. Thanks!

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 11:39:18 pm »
So, we won't all be forming a queue at our local dealers then...

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 01:21:27 am »
No.
With the K1300 model being 8 years old now, you might expect something to get close soon.

Or maybe it's that the owners are stuck in their ways, and won't change! :-X :-X :-X

Offline OxMan

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Just sold my K1300R Dynamic in Racing Red (The fastest colour) - and taken delivery of my Guzzi.
  • Modifications and add-ons:: It's a TT Travel : with panniers; high screen; heated grips; cruise; low comfort seat; top box (!); centre stand; Ohlins; Akra sports can; engine bars; extra front fogs; Caponord mudguard/extended...
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 07:43:28 am »
There have been a few reviews of this bike on here as loaners... don’t think any concluded with a deposit cheque...
Late emerging biker - took the first bike plunge at 50 with a 12GT : swapped for a 13S 9 months in... then got my mitts on a lovely 2014 13R Dynamic in rrrrrracing rrrrred! Then the COVID came along... so I upped it to France and bought a V85TT... O Sole Mio etc etc!

Offline Eyore

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Lots of Polish. Titax levers. GPR end can.R&G Protectors, carbon fibre bling, Tom Tom mount,daytime led lights.Low seat.Oberon clutch slave cylinder.Airblade DB screen,fender extender.Michael Dunlop sticker.
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 08:32:39 am »
Pretty well  in line with other reviews here . Pity as its a bike I thought I would like too, but after the performance of a K its too much to expect.
The fastest Pizza delivery bike in the west.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 09:03:33 am »
Thanks for the review. As per the other responses, it's very much aligned to my feelings when I rode one. My frustration is that the R1200RS as "almost" there, but BMW appear to have hobbled it a the final hurdle.

If Ducati & KTM can both produce usable, efficient 1200cc two cylinder engines producing over 150bhp, then why can't BMW? Give the R1200RS 150bhp and it would be a (near) perfect replacement of the K1300S! :(
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline bobtail

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S (05) departed but well loved! Now R1200RS I am now a Boxerboy.
  • Modifications and add-ons:: I had no bling on my K12 and was proud of it! And it never, ever let me down, honest! And it still had the o.e. battery going strong, honest!
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 11:23:12 am »
So, we won't all be forming a queue at our local dealers then...

I did and what a brilliant replacement for the brilliant K1200(which never, ever went wrong and was still running the o.e. battery after 10 years)
Had the R1200RS for two years now and just like the K I am so in lurve with it.

But hey horses for courses! It's a completely different bike than the K and it takes a while to get used to it's idiosyncracies but once mastered it is the dogs doo dahs. Anyway that's my opinion. And it was my first boxer twin and I am proud to be a boxer boy, I have been converted! ;D

BoxerboyBobtail
Are we there yet? I said ARE WE THERE YET? I SAID ARE WE THERE YET?!!

Offline panman

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1300r
  • Modifications and add-ons:: mra screen givi top box center stand frame and tank protectors
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 12:14:34 pm »
I bought myr1200 rs se in june this year to replace my pan 11500 miles in now, 3 track days and a few European trips average 58 to the gallon.I seriously cannot fault it. Would recommend it to anyone
looking for a comfy forgiving ride.
panman

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 12:43:33 pm »
Nice to hear the other side of the bias  8)

I was a boxerboy before I bought the K12S but in a very different incarnation, the R1150GS!

Loved it, absolutely loved it and swore I would ride it into my grave,but not just yet...

It would ride round the outside of Sunday cowboys on their weekend racers and would scare children, horses and truck drivers with its presence.

Then I discovered a little bit of the sports tourer itch that hadn't been properly scratched back in the '80's and 170bhp is very, VERY addictive, even if you don't actually use all of it all the time, and no-one does!

Maybe I'll have become too old for the K13 power and performance by the time it needs replacing.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 01:55:22 pm »

Maybe I'll have become too old for the K13 power and performance by the time it needs replacing.

When that happens to me, my next "vehicle" will be made from oak, with a silk lining and brass handles!   ;)
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 02:09:48 pm »
I have had demo rides on a few boxers and try as I might I just can't find the love for the boxer engine.  :-[

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 03:58:15 pm »
It's a Marmite thing. And before you ask, I loathe the stuff.

Brian (who absolutely loves Twiglets, weird or what  :o )

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 10:28:44 pm »

When that happens to me, my next "vehicle" will be made from oak, with a silk lining and brass handles!   ;)
You do mean the brass effect plastic handles? Don't ask me how I know.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2017, 11:10:39 pm »
OK! How do you know?