Author Topic: S1000XR Big Bum  (Read 3055 times)

Offline Belco100

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: ex K12R Sport, K13GT, K13S, multiple K16GTs. But now Ducati Multi V4S & KTM 1290 SAS.
S1000XR Big Bum
« on: June 20, 2018, 05:18:46 pm »
Just got hold of a set of BMW Panniers for the XR. After the usual three days to change the locks (the pannier lock are the same as the K1300S once you have stripped them right down) I fitted them.

38 inch wide - same as my K16GT    ;D ;D ;D ;D

Not quite as nippy through traffic as I thought it would be!

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: S1000XR Big Bum
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 10:32:23 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D

Offline mab1067

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Titanium / red short levers, Invisible patterns, Modified rack to fit Givi topbox. Large BMW Soft bag.
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 07:49:18 am »
Hmm, not so good.
My K13 has the panniers fitted etc. However been used to a top box for commuting the last 2 years.
Anywa brings my question:
What is the K1300S like through traffic with panniers on full time? Looks the same width as mirrors but any info would be great. Dont want to fit if going to hold me up and will adjust rack to fit top box if required again??
Mark Barbour

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 09:01:50 am »
Hmm, not so good.
My K13 has the panniers fitted etc. However been used to a top box for commuting the last 2 years.
Anywa brings my question:
What is the K1300S like through traffic with panniers on full time? Looks the same width as mirrors but any info would be great. Dont want to fit if going to hold me up and will adjust rack to fit top box if required again??

The panniers are less width than the mirrors, even expanded (mirrors = cats' whiskers!).

But note that the panniers are lower down than the mirrors, and cars/road furniture can be wider lower to the ground.

I went for a nice gap between a car and a temporary roadworks sign thinking 'Ah, neat', and then clipped the (low) road sign with the pannier. At least I didn't hit the car. Just a scuff on the pannier, so not a huge problem - just a surprise.

In summary, they're smaller than you imagine. Most of the time.

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
  • My K bike model:: K1300s 2009
  • Modifications and add-ons:: rear splash guard, Sargent seat and pod, 35mm bar risers
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 04:56:07 pm »
Weaving through traffic if the bars go through the rest of the bike will,
add paniers and more room needed so OK,
forget paniers and embarrassment could follow.
Its not always the destination that counts its the ride, having a destination just stops you going round in circles.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 07:42:20 pm »
Every part of the Sport Case is available from BM as a spare.

Filter to your heart's content and get new plastic wrap-round bumpers pronto if you take someone's door off  :-X