General forum area > The Euro K Club Lounge

K1300S key - any intelligence in it?

(1/7) > >>

richtea:
I've managed to lose my key - the cat ate it or something (if in doubt, blame the youngest member of the household).

Is the K1300S key a plain key, or does it have some active piece in the plastic? It looks too small to hold anything to me, but what do I know.

In other words, can I buy a blank off eBay and get it cut, or am I beholden to BMW?

Thanks.

Phmode:
It has the immobiliser circuitry in it. The ring antenna (the black circular bit round the ignition lock barrel) interrogates the key and if it doesn't get the right answer the computer it says 'NO!'

You can buy one off flea bay and get it cut but I think you will need to pay the man to pair it to the bike. And don't ask me how you get it to the man when it won't start...

Never let my cat eat my key so I don't know for sure about the pairing bit but if any old key off eBay would work then I'd have had your bike away years ago. Me or the drug addicts down the road.

richtea:
Thanks for confirming, Brian.

It's a bit weird to have both a unique cut key AND a microchip.
Normal two-factor authentication (2FA) is 1) something you have and 2) something you know.
Not 1) something you have and 2) something you also have, wrapped in the same physical item.

I guess it's the equivalent of a cat microchip. So if I insert the cat's neck into the keyhole the bike will start, right?

Phmode:
Of course!

Now, if only it was the ring antenna that had gone astray, I always have a spare on the bike. But you do need the key to make it work.

You could have a key cut but not paired with the bike to allow your valet to unlock the steering, wheel it out of the heated bike cave, clean and polish it and put it away again without the risk of him/her/it/they riding off on it.

The reason for the immobiliser is to stop the tea leaves screwdrivering the ignition lock without the key and riding off on your pride and joy. No key, no joy! Simples!

Anyway, how did you manage to not be able to find it?

And have you looked in the seat lock under the tail light, that's where mine is when I can't find it  :thumbsup:

Matt:
Would you like to swap a day riding in Wales for a meet up at yours where we ransack the house to locate the key? :police:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version