Author Topic: Question regarding fuel tank connections  (Read 5121 times)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: Question regarding fuel tank connections
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2020, 07:21:35 pm »
Loads of petrol-proof thread lock products on the market, take your pick  8)

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2020, 07:29:54 pm »
What did you use Bri.

Offline Steve404

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s 2015 Motorsport
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2020, 07:31:32 pm »
The difficult bit is sealing the female in the plastic insert in the tank because just screwing it in isn’t good enough it won’t seal.

Think I can get away with just the male part, the female locking part is fully serviceable it is just that the end of the males inserty bit broke, if I can replace just him the world will be a better place
Steve Joyce

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2020, 08:08:25 pm »
What did you use Bri.

I haven't done it on the K. I fitted stainless ones on the R1150, three in all, male and female. Costly but I did a deal with the supplier back in the day.

I have/had a petrol proof thread sealant from my RAF days but it has sealed itself in the tube  ::)

Loctite 567 is a good replacement...

https://tdsna.henkel.com/americas/na/adhesives/hnauttds.nsf/web/DF25E134F03D909B882571870000D81B/$File/567-EN.pdf

...for the Technical Data Sheet.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2020, 08:16:08 pm »
I found one single product after tipping the world upside down and that’s Gasoila E-Seal cheap it ain’t and to add insult to injury when you open it up has a short life but work( bloodywell should do at the price)it most certainly does,

Offline Terry O

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2006 K1200R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Booster plug. Carbon frame protectors, Power Tech slip on can, oh and pretty little yellow valve stem covers. Nearly forgot...a really useful yellow flashing triangle that tells me me fuel gauge is buggered.
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2020, 10:29:09 am »
Morning all.   

Out of curiosity, what’s the recall associated with the pump connector?   Mines booked to go in for crack checks.   I haven’t seen the recall paperwork but when I booked the bike in for the rear wheel flange replacement I was told I had another two still outstanding - fuel pump related and oil pump chain guide.

You may not get hold of a dealer now but maybe when things are up and running again you could check if there’s an outstanding recall related to this?

Just a though....
My bed is a magical place where I suddenly remember everything I forgot to do.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2020, 04:10:36 pm »
Honest answer no idea,not even sure they are even doing such and the reasons are varied from how long ago it was too the 04/05/06 was/is a world away from 07/08 and the later 1300.

When it comes to recalls all I have ever had done is the camchain tensioner and the dogbones and the latter didn’t matter because the stock K steered like a tank and aftermarket to raise the rear are what is needed and then the side stand isn’t long enough. :o

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2020, 05:57:47 pm »
Morning all.   

Out of curiosity, what’s the recall associated with the pump connector?   Mines booked to go in for crack checks.   I haven’t seen the recall paperwork but when I booked the bike in for the rear wheel flange replacement I was told I had another two still outstanding - fuel pump related and oil pump chain guide.

You may not get hold of a dealer now but maybe when things are up and running again you could check if there’s an outstanding recall related to this?

Just a though....

There was a spate of fuel leaks from the pump connector. The plastic 'base' (through which the fuel and lectrics enter and exit) was found to be cracking.

The recall was a major safety issue and some country dealerships (Greece for instance) simply replaced all pump units regardless.

In the UK, the policy was to remove the tank, check for cracking and replace the pump unit if cracks were found.

If no cracks were found a re-inforcing sleeve was fitted around the oulet and that was the end of it.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2020, 08:15:33 am »
Well remembered Brian i’d Forgotten about that,I had that done on mine but blimey it’s a crap design having to screw the metal female into it anything more than finger tight is hellish risky even with the metal ring around it hence why I spent so much time tracking down what to seal the connection with.

Offline Steve404

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2020, 12:46:19 pm »
This is a common'ish failure.

You want one of these...

https://www.tom-parker.co.uk/products/cpc-plastic-and-brass-couplings/2/fuel-line-couplings/61/brass-coupling-bodies/150/pipe-thread-valved-male-thread/649/clcd100040v/

...not cheap but then the front suspension will break before that does  8)

All hail the Guru that is Brian, contacted Tom Parker, spoke with Shane, the relevant milled replacement coupling arrived next day https://www.tom-parker.co.uk/products/cpc-plastic-and-brass-couplings/2/fuel-line-couplings/61/brass-coupling-inserts/152/elbow-valved-hose-barb/654/clcd230-04v/ (agreed not cheap at around £30 delivered) however quality item, fitted and now fuel tight again

Still amazed that using 'inferior' plastic coupling allowed this to happen after a pothole strike! Anyhow, just the wheel to sort out and ready to go as soon as quarantine is over.

Steve, North wales Correspondent.

Thanks again all for the advice and instruction, it's a lovely place.
Steve Joyce

Offline Steve404

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2020, 12:48:56 pm »
...after coming of worse yesterday after hitting a 4 inch pothole, I am assessing the issues this morning as there is nothing else to do. Not to bad really, I have a buckled rim on the front wheel which I can probably source.

Glad to hear you're OK. The last thing you want is to be hospitalised in this particular climate.

Buckled wheels can often be straightened. If you measure the buckle (i.e. x mm out of true vertically & horizontally) and email/ring Motoliner or similar, I'm sure they'll let you know:
http://www.motoliner.com/motorcycle-wheel-straightening.php

Thanks for the link to Motoliner, corresponded with them and as soon as the crisis is over, I will attempt to ship my wheel to them, seem happy they can sort it with the photo I sent.

This forum once again showing full value for money.

Steve
Steve Joyce

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2020, 01:01:45 pm »
All hail the Guru that is Brian,

All hail the guru that is Brian's iPad. I have 341 tabs open on this one (and luckily for you Tom's place was one of 'em) and about 400 on the other one. Just the way my mind works  ::)

Don't tell anyone about how lovely it is, they'll only join and disturb the peace  8)

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2020, 02:15:28 pm »
This is a common'ish failure.

You want one of these...

https://www.tom-parker.co.uk/products/cpc-plastic-and-brass-couplings/2/fuel-line-couplings/61/brass-coupling-bodies/150/pipe-thread-valved-male-thread/649/clcd100040v/

...not cheap but then the front suspension will break before that does  8)

All hail the Guru that is Brian, contacted Tom Parker, spoke with Shane, the relevant milled replacement coupling arrived next day https://www.tom-parker.co.uk/products/cpc-plastic-and-brass-couplings/2/fuel-line-couplings/61/brass-coupling-inserts/152/elbow-valved-hose-barb/654/clcd230-04v/ (agreed not cheap at around £30 delivered) however quality item, fitted and now fuel tight again

Still amazed that using 'inferior' plastic coupling allowed this to happen after a pothole strike! Anyhow, just the wheel to sort out and ready to go as soon as quarantine is over.

Steve, North wales Correspondent.

Think yourself lucky the 955 Tiger we have went the same way,we are on the way to Monza 5 miles outside of Dover with a mate,I worked out what it was straight away phoned the RAC told them it was kaput and we needed a rental car.

Friend carries on to Dover cross’s over to our regular Ibis,RAC turn up with breakdown truck take us too their compound a few miles away gave us the keys to a rental car we take the luggage off the bike and drive the 200 odd miles back home and arrive at 11pm

Re-pack another bike,up at 3 am down to Dover cross over our friend is waiting and off we go and end up in Basel that night absolutely Bo***ed