Author Topic: Something I discovered today about the Zumo 590  (Read 5444 times)

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
Re: Something I discovered today about the Zumo 590
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2018, 07:02:45 pm »
The reason I use the thing all the time (in either car or on bike) is because I can't remember ALL the speed camera locations in the country, not to navigate me.

The way I use it mostly is not navigating, but if I need to nip from Ledbury to Northampton in the car in the rush hour I want it to tell me about traffic (I have the traffic dongle) and auto-route me. I do NOT want to sit down for half an hour before I rush off and plan a 'route' across country.

This traffic-dependent routing is something I never used on my 660, I just now remember it was possible (with the 660), wasn't this with the special TMC antenna ?

Even on the 595, I haven't activated that service (there you certainly have to pay for it). I am not that big a fan of all these paying services (apart from the weather radar info). According to mrgps.nl, the real-time traffic information on the TomTom Rider works quite a lot better and accurate, he blaims the (worse) quality on the TMC information...

As for the speed camera information I don't pay either, as I retrieve that data from OpenStreetMap (for free), extracting the most recent updates myself some days before, or at the very latest the day before leaving for a holiday trip : as freshly baked as it gets  8)
There are I0 kinds of people : those who can count in binary, and those who can't...

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2018, 07:51:05 pm »
I don't use traffic information and have switched off the speed camera audible warnings because they get on my nerves. I'm obviously not using it to it's full potential.

When I ride a route I have plotted on Basecamp I switch off recalculate and if a road is closed I deviate and then use common sense to get back on route.

If I want the satnav to get me to a destination I switch auto re-calculate on and let the satnav do it's stuff.

I have a Zumo 590LM which is okay but not as good a display as my Zumo 550. Too much small print info round the edges which I don't have time to read because I'd rather be looking at the road.

I also have a Montana with OS mapping which is great for off road trips.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 07:52:50 pm by TomL »
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2018, 08:13:18 pm »
TMC used to work a whole lot better than it does, even in UK. At one time the whole of Europe was well-covered. One morning on the way to Greece as we left the hotel in France it was warning us of a tunnel closure in Lugarno, our hotel stop that night. Of course, by the time we got there the accident was cleared and the tunnel was open but I was well impressed.

These days I am lucky if I get the green car symbol telling me it is receiving data.

As for the camera database, I use pocketgpsworld data. It's £18 or so a year which is a trifling amount. The database is updated constantly by users with a new update released once a week. It's a model that works for me, so far.

The trouble with the bloody Garmin is that it squawks constantly if you exceed the speed limit so you can't distinguish the warnings for the camera sites. And if you don't exceed the limits, it keeps quiet but you don't need to hear the warnings for the camera sites  >:(

This neat 'feature' may have cost me my licence a week or two ago, still waiting to hear, literally  8)

The trouble with all these (American) devices is they are starting to tell you 'how' to drive, not just where. Sheila's 590 has advance warnings of bends and level crossing etc. In UK we have road signs warning us of these...
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 08:15:02 pm by Phmode »

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2018, 09:25:15 pm »
Still using a map, and occasionally, my phone :-X

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2018, 10:05:47 pm »
The trouble with the bloody Garmin is that it squawks constantly if you exceed the speed limit so you can't distinguish the warnings for the camera sites. And if you don't exceed the limits, it keeps quiet but you don't need to hear the warnings for the camera sites  >:(

This neat 'feature' may have cost me my licence a week or two ago, still waiting to hear, literally  8)

Strange that you mention this, and this made me wonder why I don't have that. Then I thought this could be because I have, in the (595's) menu "Proximity Alerts" -> "Alerts", the "Garmin Safety Cameras" DISabled, and (only) the "Custom POIs" ENabled. These speed cameras from OpenStreetMap are loaded into the device as POIs - using Garmin's POILoader.exe (I think these paying speed cameras are loaded as POIs as well ?)

Also all audible warnings - schools, dangerous curves, animals crossing, what have you more - are DISabled (which are one of those most useless and even annoying features on that device).
There are I0 kinds of people : those who can count in binary, and those who can't...

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2018, 01:53:56 am »
The 660 has the Proximity Alerts on/off for Custom POI's and I obviously have it turned on. What the 660 doesn't have is the ability to turn speed limit warning tones to 'Off'.

My 'potential' run in with a camera van was caused (by me speeding) in a 70mph zone and the constant chirping of the speed limit warning drowning out the one tone I wanted to hear, the speed camera site warning tone.

I need a more user-friendly and customisable device...

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2018, 07:21:09 am »
The 660 has ...

Sorry, I realise my input wasn't that useful, as in my previous reaction, I was thinking that you had been on the road with the 590 when that happened (regarding the 660, I don't remember any more how its warnings worked).

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2018, 07:59:46 am »
The 660 has the Proximity Alerts on/off for Custom POI's and I obviously have it turned on. What the 660 doesn't have is the ability to turn speed limit warning tones to 'Off'.

My 'potential' run in with a camera van was caused (by me speeding) in a 70mph zone and the constant chirping of the speed limit warning drowning out the one tone I wanted to hear, the speed camera site warning tone.

My old 660 (now deceased!) did have the speed limit warning tones off. I had cameras "ping once" IF I was very close to or over the speed limit.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline kennyc

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200GT 2008
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2018, 11:44:01 am »
I have suddenly realised that instead of being a "go get 'em" future friendly person, I am in fact a semi-luddite  :-[ I look at a map, chose a destination and then get the satnav to take me to it  :P then if I need to go further, I fill up/have a drink and enter the next destination. simples  :P

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2018, 11:48:28 am »
Embrace technology don't fight it.  ;D :o

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2018, 01:35:52 pm »

I realise that you are rapidly becoming an 'old git' David (in small letters note) but can you remember how you turned the bloody noise off? I'm fairly sure that when I first got it, second-hand but virtually unused, that the speed limit warnings were nowhere near as intrusive as they are now.

I wonder if one of the many s/w updates has taken away the ability to have a 'bong' rather than an incessant stream of noise...

My old 660 (now deceased!) did have the speed limit warning tones off. I had cameras "ping once" IF I was very close to or over the speed limit.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2018, 09:36:50 pm »
Thanks. I had been there and tried that. My 660 doesn't have a button for 'Cameras'.

Proximity Points only gives me the option to turn on/off Custom POIs and to change the audio for those Custom POIs. It is the Custom POIs that I want to hear the bongs for because that is my reliable camera database. What I want ti kill, literally in the case of the 7-year-old programmers, is the constant bonging telling me that my speed is in excess of the posted limit. My speed is ALWAYS above the posted limits outside of 20,30 & 40 zones  >:(

Nothing about speed limits nor about the base cameras within the native Garmin in Proximity Points!

Ta muchly for the heads up though   :D