Author Topic: Google Maps  (Read 1691 times)

gibbo

Google Maps
« on: July 22, 2017, 06:57:18 am »
Well, as per Rae's advise, I had a look at how to use this system. It would seem to be a great piece of kit if I were a bike courier and for those that do hefty mileages on their steeds. But for my small usages it's just not cost effective.

Firstly, I'd have to replace my old mobile and spend out big bucks on an android or i phone, then a cradle to fit all the gubbings to the bike plus the blue tooth thingy to receive all the info. For me, this is a total waste of money. I'm happy either to use a hard copy map or lately my trusty car sat nav which I've adapted for the bike to find my way around. And, with a bit of common sense and ability to read road signs this will be my mode of getting about for now.  ;)

All in all, it's just another distraction that could compromise safety on our already crowded roads. Just my pennies worth.  ;)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: Google Maps
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 09:21:27 am »
Erm....I don't think Rae was suggesting using Google maps as a means of on-bike navigation Jon.

His problem, when putting places up on our member's map, is getting the exact location spot on.

If we all use Google maps as a means of telling him the location by finding the place on the map that we've just eaten in, for example, then clicking on it to place a 'Dropped Pin' and then clicking on the square box with an up arrow at the top of the blue area to the left of the screen, you get the option to mail or copy the location among other things. Paste the copied location in your 'recommended places to eat' post and viola, a stringed instrument.

Rae gets the exact location and doesn't go daft trying to work out how you got to Phoenix on a loan bike and once we know where it is, by studying the member's map, we can stick the place in our sat-nav by whatever means we choose.

Simples? I think so  :D

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 11:01:23 am »
Correct Brian I just wanted a link so that I could put it on the members map, which you kindly provided.

gibbo

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 09:51:29 am »
Erm....I don't think Rae was suggesting using Google maps as a means of on-bike navigation Jon.

His problem, when putting places up on our member's map, is getting the exact location spot on.

If we all use Google maps as a means of telling him the location by finding the place on the map that we've just eaten in, for example, then clicking on it to place a 'Dropped Pin' and then clicking on the square box with an up arrow at the top of the blue area to the left of the screen, you get the option to mail or copy the location among other things. Paste the copied location in your 'recommended places to eat' post and viola, a stringed instrument.

Rae gets the exact location and doesn't go daft trying to work out how you got to Phoenix on a loan bike and once we know where it is, by studying the member's map, we can stick the place in our sat-nav by whatever means we choose.

Simples? I think so  :D

Thanks for the explanation Brian and apologies to Rae as well for the misunderstanding.