Author Topic: Beef or K?  (Read 5629 times)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: Beef or K?
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2018, 01:46:13 pm »
You make it sound as though our policies are to not go to war Rae.

I don't think Costas was suggesting that we should go to war simply that eventually a war is inevitable and that sorts us out for a while. Just simple history.

Offline CC Mac

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K 1200 R SPORT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Ohlins front and rear, Black Laminar screen , grip puppies, adjustable brake and clutch levers, Phillips extreme vision bulbs,.
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2018, 05:20:46 pm »
My wife considers herself vegan. I told her (untruthfully) that 37% of all plastic particles in the oceans come from vegan shoes. It freaked her out but I couldn't resist it.
Watchin you Focker

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2018, 12:17:31 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :D ;D :D ;D ;D

Offline Ady00

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300r
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2018, 04:49:57 pm »
I could have told them that the human race avoiding meat and dairy products would cut greenhouse gases and save the planet, it’s also known as malnutrition killing off the human race therefore reducing greenhouse gases coz there won’t be any humans to create them in the first place....simples eh? 😁👍
Light travels faster than the speed of sound that’s why some people appear bright until they speak.

Offline CC Mac

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K 1200 R SPORT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Ohlins front and rear, Black Laminar screen , grip puppies, adjustable brake and clutch levers, Phillips extreme vision bulbs,.
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2018, 10:59:32 am »
You make it sound as though our policies are to not go to war Rae.

I don't think Costas was suggesting that we should go to war simply that eventually a war is inevitable and that sorts us out for a while. Just simple history.
War has a huge carbon footprint. We are told to curb our carbon footprint and then they (the governments) invade other countries in the name of protecting freedom and cultivating democracy. Not a second thought as to how that affects the climate.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 10:19:22 am by CC Mac »
Watchin you Focker

Offline Blobby

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Fuel filler mod
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2018, 11:31:13 am »
After they discovered certain refrigerants for example R11, R12  destroy the ozone layer and are greenhouse gasses so we are told to stop using them. All the UK did was ship all our surplus to India.  ::)

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2018, 12:04:01 pm »
Today's meat alternative - chestnuts. With the winds, there will be plenty near you. And boy there are a lot of them here:

Had chicken yesterday - half normal amount. It was still great.
Will I last, though? Ha. Probably a one week wonder. Who knows...
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 03:05:03 pm by richtea »

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2018, 02:47:58 pm »
'Chestnut steak please, blue!' Doesn't have quite the ring to it...

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2018, 06:22:11 pm »
Dilemma potentially solved for the price-conscious, which includes me:
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/oct/25/no-deal-brexit-could-raise-price-of-mince-by-50-meat-industry-says

Spend the same, get less beef.

Brexit to the rescue. Who would have thought!
I reckon this is the one positive bit of news I've seen from Brexit, so far. Heh heh.
  ::) :-X

Offline tiggerwood

• Like BMW Bikes but not some dealers
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300GT 2010 (109000 miles)
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Wunderlich Air deflectors, top box
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2018, 11:58:54 pm »
If 100g of beefproduction  results in 105Kg of C02 emissions, that's roughly 10 miles of extra riding for each gramme of steak not eaten.

So to offset my 30,000 miles, I only need to reduce my steak consumption by 3Kg per annum or one 500g steak every two months: good job I eat more.
Business  bikes are tax deductable

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2018, 09:55:37 am »
What we omnivores need is a Methane conversion to keep our very, very, very small consciences clear  ;D

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2018, 10:16:06 am »
If 100g of beefproduction  results in 105Kg of C02 emissions, that's roughly 10 miles of extra riding for each gramme of steak not eaten.

So to offset my 30,000 miles, I only need to reduce my steak consumption by 3Kg per annum or one 500g steak every two months: good job I eat more.

I love it when someone does the actual maths to work out just how much (little?) of a change is needed to make a comparative difference. :D

While it's not a cow, I assume that deer, as another large herbivore, also have an impact on CO2 production so now feel confident that my recent "deer event" (which I assume resulted in an ex-deer) gives me enough CO2 "credit" to run my bike for the next 3 years!! :D  :D  :D

I love a clear conscience!!

Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Online Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2018, 12:58:50 pm »
Haha, if we each go out and shoot a deer...!

This reference to a study suggesting all the fly-about-ee insects are dying is a bit scary also.

I've actually stopped eating beef for a while (well, since summer), but frankly that was simply because I had some bbq beef burger that was terrible, and then thought, "I know, I'll just stop eating beef. I make decisions unrelated to inputs."

A side-bonus is feeling better about the fricking cows farting.

The clothes thing was also flipping scary, however much like Richtea (maybe our career paths have something to do with this!) I buy new clothes so infrequently I miss entire trends/years. But I do think every clothes name we know of at the moment is a massive "oh other countries have fewer laws, let's exploit," pending PR bomb. I hope.

Overpopulation is interesting, in that we see a bit here that all us relatively developed countries are gradually decreasing family size. Actually this one from the UN is good, as it clearly shows the differences.

In my still developing think-brains on the subject, neoliberalism is just helping keep these countries down. Ref the clothing industry above. The money flowing from south to north (poor to rich countries) vastly outweighs 'aid' sent down.  Oh it's got a name! The "Lucas Paradox". Sheesh.

Anyway I'm hungry so probably making less and less sense. My friend is building an aquaponics thing, that sounds like fun.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 03:26:20 pm by richtea »
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2018, 03:39:51 pm »
Good post, Matt.
I have to say there is some clothing that I could where I could avoid plastics - fleece -> wool in particular.
I do have a new-to-me wool jumper for winter. It's a start. Although its manufacture obviously involved farting sheep. Dammit. Can't win.

Anyway I'm hungry so probably making less and less sense. My friend is building an aquaponics thing, that sounds like fun.

It's output of hydroponics that gives you the munchies, not aquaponics.  Now that is fun. ;D ;D ;D

Online Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2018, 06:55:31 pm »
Haha! Well he should have a bit of both!

And I expect that jumper will last a good long time. I got quite distraught yesterday when the zip on my "used to be work but now everywhere else" Levi jeans zip broke! They normally last me several years, and so now i've found myself in a pair of crimson cord's I've had sitting in the wardrobe for years!

Now, I'm making a fair bit of beer at the moment, which I suspect has a fair impact all round :(.
1. Electricity from the 3k watt and 1.5k watt elements being used throughout the brew day. Smart meter says a day brewing 20L of beer costs me ~£1.50 in electricity.

2. Water. More than half of making beer is cleaning. It starts at sterilizing then sanitizing everything post-boil (so fermenting buckets, tubes etc), all the way to after pouring a bottle it gets rinsed using probably twice its volume. Then lumped in with other stuff in the dishwasher.

I'm trying to cut down on water use though. Steriliser and sanitizer solutions can be re-used through-out the day. I assume (pray) breweries are more efficient, but then their shareholders are probably wealthy enough!
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022