Author Topic: Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE  (Read 29031 times)

Online Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
Re: Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
« Reply #120 on: June 20, 2020, 10:37:12 am »
Thanks David, good to hear!
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Online Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #121 on: June 20, 2020, 04:03:52 pm »
But if teenagers like you start buying them Matt, the insurance is gonna go through the garage roof  8)

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 20, 2020, 06:18:57 pm »
But if teenagers like you start buying them Matt, the insurance is gonna go through the garage roof  8)

:D  Call him a "youngster", Brian   ;)
There are I0 kinds of people : those who can count in binary, and those who can't...

Online Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 20, 2020, 06:38:58 pm »
Haha!

You know it's too cool for me, I'm sticking with my GS for the next 36 years :p

"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 20, 2020, 07:30:16 pm »
Haha!

You know it's too cool for me, I'm sticking with my GS for the next 36 years :p

Brian is just jealous because he forgot how long ago it is that he looked like a youngster, Matt  8)
There are I0 kinds of people : those who can count in binary, and those who can't...

Online richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #125 on: June 20, 2020, 08:38:52 pm »
You're as young as the (style of) bike you ride.

Online Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 20, 2020, 08:52:20 pm »
And I'm having a reverse mid life crisis.

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 21, 2020, 09:37:47 am »
Anyway ... Forgot to thank you for this update, David, this is one of the threads that interest me above average. But I continuously ask myself if this H2 SX wouldn't be too much for my riding abilities (and driver's license). Considering costs, I also made some calculations ... The K1300S came at 17000€ at the time (I'm speaking of 10 years ago), the SX SE comes at 22600€ now. Even considering 10 years of inflation have passed since then, I still have the impression it's a more expensive machine. Adding some firmware flash upgrade and other goodies, and the bill still increases. I agree that the maintenance cost isn't too far off, like you say.

It's quite interesting to read, from time to time, such detailed updates on this other exceptional bike ...

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #128 on: June 21, 2020, 11:31:46 am »
Thanks for the feedback.  It's good to know there is interest in what I'm writing. 

A quick calculation using the UK RPI suggests the H2 SX SE is almost exactly the same price as the K1300S from 10 years ago.  As for too much bike, it's just like the K1300S, easily capable of doing some very "naughty" things but very easy to manage in a way that allows for loads of fun without too much risk to life, limb, licence or liberty.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Online Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 21, 2020, 12:26:03 pm »
Thanks for the feedback.  It's good to know there is interest in what I'm writing. 

A quick calculation using the UK RPI suggests the H2 SX SE is almost exactly the same price as the K1300S from 10 years ago.  As for too much bike, it's just like the K1300S, easily capable of doing some very "naughty" things but very easy to manage in a way that allows for loads of fun without too much risk to life, limb, licence or liberty.

Aha, I did a quick head maths taking 2% inflation at ten years being not far off too :D.

I agree on two counts, I love this thread, and yeah after just the test ride (nobody check what I said at the time please) it's just as friendly as the K. Though I've not really ridden any modern bike that's had lots of power and been scary in the employment of any degree of it.

Although saying that I've almost only ridden BMWs due to either demo or broken bits on mine. Did try the gsxr1000 a year or so ago though. That was more wild than the s1000rr but still easy. And the gsxs1000 was just annoyingly hard suspension.

I like big bikes. :)

Online Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #130 on: June 21, 2020, 01:26:46 pm »
I like big bikes. :)

Me too! When I'm out on the wee Honda (250cc, 24bhp, 70 odd mph) I get bounced around quite a bit but the HUGE problem is spotting an overtake, ripping the throttle open and sitting there wondering why nothing is happening.

Even worse is getting an overtake at lower speeds, getting the gear right and popping alongside only to find that up-shifting only decreases the noise, not the distance to the landing zone I spotted earlier.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #131 on: June 21, 2020, 02:06:50 pm »

Oh blimey i’m Fascinated  :) reading about such for no other reason it’s a million miles away from what floats my boat,I walked away from Jap big bikes in 1999,although in fairness keep my XT660X at the back of the garage just to remind me......

I have two 4 cylinder bikes the K and the X/R great bikes very effective but jeez neither could fill a thimble with character,but with an old boxer an almost as old Tiger triple and KTM 1290 that have plenty of warts and all, always interesting swapping between them.

As for speed.... my X/R got me 6 points in one go last year  ::)

Online Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 21, 2020, 02:29:47 pm »

Oh blimey i’m Fascinated  :) reading about such for no other reason it’s a million miles away from what floats my boat,I walked away from Jap big bikes in 1999,although in fairness keep my XT660X at the back of the garage just to remind me......

I have two 4 cylinder bikes the K and the X/R great bikes very effective but jeez neither could fill a thimble with character,but with an old boxer an almost as old Tiger triple and KTM 1290 that have plenty of warts and all, always interesting swapping between them.

As for speed.... my X/R got me 6 points in one go last year  ::)

I'll take that XT660X for you :P

Remind me, which is your old boxer? I still think fondly of the (yes I know not old at all) R Nine T mid-life-crisis liveried thing I rode last year. Someone is going to have to direct me to a bike with character one of these days!

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #133 on: June 21, 2020, 03:39:29 pm »
Where motorcycle ownership becomes so complicated this old bus wouldn't know which way that Kawasaki went over a tank full of fuel,but if A/B is a couple 100 or more this will do it at a steady 100mph and do it on a tank full(5 gallons) the tank is modded just about like everything else on the bike,but then I've had it over 20 years....

Oh the XT

« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 03:41:37 pm by chriscanning »

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #134 on: March 02, 2021, 04:36:38 pm »
OK, So time for an update. Firstly the good news. The insurance this year was under £400 so I'm not in the slightest disappointed.

The bike appears to be handling it's age well. While still only 2 years/15,000 miles old, it still looks pristine. By the same age the BMWs were starting to show early signs age but I'd suggest that, at the moment, the Kawasaki looks "better quality" than the BMWs did.

Now the bad news! I'm now going to have to pay for being a power crazed maniac! Kawasaki have put out a recall for an issue (not seen on any of the forums) where the engine can over rev due to missed gear engagement when using the quick-shifter. The recall is for an ECU reflash, which will over write the flash I had done to give me 220bhp. :(  According to the chat on the forums and the guidance from those doing the reflash, it's better to get the Kawasaki flash done (and the recall box ticked)  then get the 220bhp flash written back over the top! It's not a huge technical or financial issue (the re re flash will be discounted) but the 220bhp flash was done in the US so I'll have no ECU, thus no bike, for about 3 weeks!

Still, it'll be all set up ready for the Old Gits trip to Northern Spain (if we're allowed to go) in June and I have a trip to ride a whole load of Alps passes, the Route des Grande Alpes and the Route Napoleon in September so I'll get to use every one of those 220 horses! (Well, maybe on the autobahn to get there!)
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org