Author Topic: Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE  (Read 29055 times)

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
« Reply #105 on: November 01, 2019, 12:42:16 pm »
Thems big figures! (lean, average and max speeds).

Is it the thought of getting off the seat that forces you to make such good progress? :P :P :P

Andym535

« Reply #106 on: November 01, 2019, 01:20:29 pm »

They sure are!. How have you still got a license?

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #107 on: November 01, 2019, 01:26:09 pm »

Is it the thought of getting off the seat that forces you to make such good progress? :P :P :P

:D

They sure are!. How have you still got a license?

The speed was done in Germany on the autobahn, so was totally legal.

The lean angles were on the mountain passes in the Dolomites so were done in 1st gear below or only just above, the speed limit.

When and where are, as always, amongst the most important considerations for such events.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 01, 2019, 03:42:18 pm »
When and where are, as always, amongst the most important considerations for such events.

When and where are, as always, amongst the most important considerations for such events, Mr policeman officer8)

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #109 on: March 20, 2020, 11:50:35 am »
OK, time for a quick update. Over the winter I have fitted the new Sargent seat and had a remap. Now, the Kawasaki built in throttle restrictions have been removed so that 100% of twist grip = 100% throttle butterfly opening at engine speed above 9000 rpm (up to the 12,500 rpm red line) This has resulted in almost 220bhp at the rear wheel but with no loss of traction or usability. In fact, the new map has made things even smoother and more tractable throughout the entire rev range. While I've had very little chance to do serious testing, the fuel consumption doesn't appear to be impacted unless I'm using all of those 220 horses.

The Sargent seat is, so far, proving to be up to the job. the longest journey I've done on it is just under an hour, but there was no discomfort or suggestion of impending discomfort where, the OEM seat would have been making it's presence felt. The shape of the seat is very different to the one on Brian's K1200S that I hated, so that worry has been removed. It is the heated version so the trip to the dealers this morning for the 15,000 service was with a warm botty! :D

It's the big 15,000 mile service today and I've been told to expect a bill of around £850. :(  That said, by the time I hit 18,000 the total servicing cost is not expected to be significantly different to either of my K1300S's (allowing a little bit for inflation) as they would have had 3 service by then where the Kawasaki will only have had two. I'll be tracking the service costs over the 3 years I expect to own the bike and we'll see if, by 50,000 miles, there is a huge difference in costs compared to the BMWs.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #110 on: March 20, 2020, 03:11:29 pm »
Glad to hear that the seat is a different shape, I did think you were taking leave of your senses as it took a couple of days to get the feeling back in your thighs after a few hours on mine.

For £850 I would be expecting a total strip down and a clean and polish of every moving part of the motor and gearbox   ::)

So, compared to 175 bhp, what does 220 actually feel like. I mean, I know what 220bhp feels like because I go past it on the way to 310 in the car but you know what I mean. It is, after all, the power to weight ratio and controllability that matters and you have said the tractability is even better.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #111 on: March 20, 2020, 03:56:06 pm »
Given that the original 190bhp was only "that low" because Kawasaki mapped the fly-by-wire throttle butterflies to start closing at engine speeds above 9000rpm, despite the twist grip being fully open, the bike feels the same up to 9000 but then doesn't tail off the way it did before (although that was relative!!). The best word I can use is probably relentless. With the throttle pinned it just surges for the horizon, and keeps pushing, constantly feeling like it's trying to lift the front end, but with the traction control/anti-wheelie stopping it. In the first 4 gears it is just blisteringly quick and despite travelling at significant autobahn speeds is still trying to pick the front wheel up. I've not tried 5th and 6th above 9000rpm as there's just not been the road opportunity to do so.

The K1300S was no slouch, either through the gears or in roll-on but this is just a completely different league. I had a test ride on an S1000RR in dynaic-pro (or whatever the mode is you need the dongle for) a couple of years ago. It was nuts, despite me being used yo the K1300S. The Kawasaki now feels like the S1000RR but with the comfort/luggage/tractability/"grunt" of the K1300S. It really has put the sports back into sports tourer. :D

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #112 on: June 19, 2020, 10:00:29 am »
While, as a result of COVID-19 I’ve not done many miles this year, and I (and the other Old Gits) didn’t get to Spain, I’ve still managed a few miles and some significant "milestones".

Firstly, the 15,000 miles service. I knew it was going to be big but that came in at £1088! Ouch! That said, it was the valve check and supercharger end float service. Surprisingly, the valves needed 9 new shims. I must admit I don’t think I’ve ever needed more than 3 shims over the whole time of ownership of any single BMW.

However, the costs needs to be put into context to compare with a K1300S. The H2 SX is serviced every 7500 miles with the “big” service on the 15,000 mile intervals. The K1300S was every 6000 miles with the big service every 18,000 miles. As the H2 SX will have no more service costs to get to 18,000 miles I feel it’s fair to compare to the costs of my two K1300Ss to 18,000 miles.

2013 K1300S Sport - £1135
2016 K1300S MotorSport - £1026
2019 H2 SX SE - £1362

Give a little for inflation and that’s not too bad, especially compared to the 2013 bike.

Now, consider that the H2 SX costs include the fitting of the sprockets when I changed the gearing – not part of a normal service but just under 2 hours additional work – and I got the rear hub needle roller bearings greased this time (suggestions from the USA that these might be a slight weak point if not regularly greased) – not part of a normal service but, again, just under 2 hours additional work – and the servicing costs are very comparable to the K1300S.

Time and more miles will tell if the costs remain comparable but I’ve no reason to think they won’t After all, in just under a years’ time I’ll be factoring in the costs of the BMW extended warranty or the cost of new radiators. ;)

One slightly amusing anecdote, and just to ensure that the BMW owners on here wouldn’t feel too left out if they moved to an H2 SX, I had to have the right hand switch gear replaced under warranty as one of the buttons became "sticky". :D

I’ve now used the Sargent seat in earnest. It looks great, the seat heater is brilliant and, comfort wise, it is a real improvement over the OEM seat. That said, it’s still far from perfect and will definitely still require the AirHawk “whoopee cushion” for long motorway days across France. The seat really is something that, for me, the K1300S has no equal.

The ECU flash to remove the Kawasaki "neutering" is very noticeable. The Kawasaki ECU program has the engine red lining at 12,500 rpm but, while the twist grip remains fully “open” the throttle butterflies start to shut off from anything above 9,000 rpm. Thus, at 12,000 rpm with the twist grip on the stop the throttle butterflies are only about 20% open.

The new flash gives 100% butterfly opening to the red line. The bike always was warp speed fast but it’s like Kirk has just been given Pickards version of the Enterprise. :D  Using the bike in "low power" mode (still over 200bhp) gives about the same fuel consumption as the old ECU flash. Put it into "high power" mode and the consumption drops from around 48-50 mpg to 42-44 mpg but the performance is simply ballistic. The throttle is instant on uptake and gives earth moving drive from any speed in any gear. Think it and it’s happened! It’s a real adrenalin rush and extremely rewarding if you’re focused and on your game but, while I love to swap into full power mode for a blast I find medium and low power mode better for general road riding. Luckily, modes can be changed while on the move! :D

So, after just over a year of ownership, what do I think? The quality is there. The finish is superb and shows none of the 15,000 miles the bike has done. The handling is sharp and quick, making the K1300S feel a little lardy and ponderous by comparison, and the brakes (well, the front brakes) are excellent.

The seat comfort is improved with the Sargent seat but could still be a lot better, however it is a very easy bike to live with. You can ride it fast or ride it slow and it rewards and compliments your riding. It never feels flustered or that it’s struggling to do anything and there is always more there if you want it.

However, the jewel in the crown remains the engine, which has only got better with the recent flash. Instant, controllable, predictable, linear power from anywhere. It’s as close as I think you could get a petrol motorbike engine to an electric motor without removing any of the character of the petrol engine. It really has to be experienced to be appreciated but, trust me, after a K1300S, it really is the next step for a sports tourer.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #113 on: June 19, 2020, 11:03:36 am »
Nice review David.

Is that flash an official K one or a back-street-kids type?

You mentioned that low power mode is over 200. What do the other modes give, or is it how it is delivered that changes?

Who would ever have thought that you would end up spending voluntary time on a Sargent seat... 8)

Online Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #114 on: June 19, 2020, 11:08:00 am »
Lovely! David, what is your insurance cost for this little sausage? I believe when I was looking I found (35 ish, max NCB, the deadly Berkshire), the K was still around 400 but the H2 SX was over £1,200.

After the S debacle I dread to think and refuse to check!
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 19, 2020, 03:18:02 pm »
At the speed the Ninja goes, Matt, you can move to Oxfordshire - or even Gloucestershire - and still get to work on time, thus saving insurance money.  ;D

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #116 on: June 19, 2020, 03:22:21 pm »
He wouldn't save on speeding fines though  ???

Offline CrazyDave

• View Profile
    • BigBikeMad
  • My K bike model:: K1300GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Too many to list
« Reply #117 on: June 19, 2020, 03:42:12 pm »
Reminds me of my old ZZR.... ah lovely things are big Kawasaki's.. 8)

Bigbikemad Channel

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #118 on: June 19, 2020, 10:49:23 pm »
Nice review David.

Is that flash an official K one or a back-street-kids type?

You mentioned that low power mode is over 200. What do the other modes give, or is it how it is delivered that changes?

Who would ever have thought that you would end up spending voluntary time on a Sargent seat... 8)

The different power modes make a slight difference to top end but the delivery is noticeably "softer" in low power mode and will kick the traction control in a little earlier.  While there is over 200bhp available it really would be very hard to be "caught out" by anything the bike does.

It's not an official Kawasaki flash but it's a very popular upgrade in the states.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #119 on: June 19, 2020, 10:57:47 pm »
Lovely! David, what is your insurance cost for this little sausage? I believe when I was looking I found (35 ish, max NCB, the deadly Berkshire), the K was still around 400 but the H2 SX was over £1,200.

After the S debacle I dread to think and refuse to check!

Insurance this year was just under £700 and that's with 8 years NCD and a large claim ( 1 x K1300S MotrorSport  - the Bambi victim)  just 15 months ago. It also covers the carbon wheels.

That's in rural Suffolk and in a garage.

I cost of insurance on these did start high but is becoming more realistic.