Author Topic: Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE  (Read 29055 times)

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
Re: Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
« Reply #90 on: September 05, 2019, 09:00:59 am »
Minor update: Nothing new to report other than at 11500 miles I had a new set of PR5s fitted. That means the previous set did almost exactly 7500 miles. The rear was still legal but only just. The front had around another 1000 miles left in it but I got them replaced as a pair (£300 the pair, ride in - ride out at FWR in south London).

Due to the wheel change at 4,000 miles, the service at 7,500 miles and the tyre change at 11,500, I've still not had to adjust the chain so even that is proving to be a lot less of an issue than I feared.

I'm still waiting for Sargent to release their new seat and my backside is still complaining about the original seat but I can get to and from work without too much discomfort and I have my AirHawk for any longer journeys.

Fuel wise, I've been adding a little more than recommended in the manual at fill ups. If you overfill the tank the current Euro regs require the excess to flow directly into the inlet track rather than spilling. So, I've been very conscious of not overfilling but increasing the amount in the tank now gives a range of over 200 miles. I've not actually tested that but I fill up at 150 miles with the gauge showing what I know is at least another 70 miles.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #91 on: September 06, 2019, 08:45:51 pm »
Is that ALL into the inlet tract as you keep on pumping it into the top?

Or does it gradually allow it in as you ride?

And if it is the latter, how the hell does the ECU account for the fact that the injectors are mixing neat fuel with an air/fuel mix from the inlet?

We need to know these things... 8)

gibbo

« Reply #92 on: September 07, 2019, 07:02:19 am »
Interesting to hear what you think of the Road 5 tyres David. I'm torn between a set of these or Angel 2's in the near future

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #93 on: September 07, 2019, 11:55:12 am »
I understand that it dumps the entire overfill directly into the inlet tract so the bike doesn't run properly/at all. It's to replace the old drain pipe that used to dump the excess on the ground under the bike.  I assume the latest BMWs  (and other makes) do the same.

I've not tried the Angel II tyres so can't compare but I'm very happy with the PR5s. I had them on my K1300S and would happily recommend them for both the BMW and the Kwacker.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 09:52:39 am by black-k1 »
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #94 on: September 08, 2019, 09:35:13 am »
I understand that it dumps the entire overfill directory into the inlet tract so the bike doesn't run properly/at all. It's to replace the old drain pipe that used to dump the excess on the ground under the bike.  I assume the latest BMWs  (and other makes) do the same.

I've not tried the Angel II tyres so can't compare but I'm very happy with the PR5s. I had them on my K1300S and would happily recommend them for both the BMW and the Kwacker.

I can see an after-market mod coming soon to re-direct it where it should go, which is on the ground to wash away the diesel.

It would be interesting to see if that does apply to oil burners cos that stuff will hydraulic the motor in one gulp. Even neat petrol isn't' compressible, much!

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #95 on: October 31, 2019, 03:12:43 pm »
OK, final report of the year. After 15,000 miles of commuting and a visit to the Dolomites, the H2 SX SE is heading to “bed” for the winter.

I’m still awaiting the availability of the Sargent seat and the current seat remains a pain in the ar*e! :( That said, commuting 150 miles a day is still within the limits of “pain threshold” and doesn’t require my AirHawk.

Fuel consumption improved very slightly when I increased the gearing and is pretty consistently returning VERY similar values to my previous K1300Ss. There really is nothing in it. The tank range now consistently reads well over 200 miles and, while I’ve still not actually tested it, I’ve no reason to doubt it.

The bike has used no oil between services and is showing no signs of wear/corrosion but we’ll see what 5 months in the shed does. So far, component quality appears as good as, or better than, BMWs.

It’s now due its 15k service but I’ll leave that until the spring. I’ve still not needed to adjust the chain (this has happened at services and tyre changes) so the ScottOiler appears to be proving its worth. I do clean the chain (with WD40) then re lube with a traditional chain spray on a regular(ish) basis in addition to the work the ScottOiler is doing.

Now we’re back to dark mornings and evenings, I do miss the HID lights on the Ks. The LED is better than the standard lights on the BMW but doesn’t match the HIDs for range, spread or brightness. The cornering lights are good at slow speed but the extra light they give does not project far enough forward to be of any real use at anything over about 25mph.

So, that’s all the factual, measurable bits dealt with. Now the emotion. I love this bike! No, I REALY love this bike!

The engine has always been absolutely stunning, with more grunt than the “Flying Scotsman” but in a controllable and easy to use package. The steering is light, quick and precise. It can be ridden with some significant enthusiasm while feeling completely safe and predictable. Keeping the revs below 5000rpm (85mph in top) gives quick and relaxed progress but giving it just a little more has the world going backwards. Take it over 9000rpm and you have to wave to Captain Kirk as you overtake the Starship Enterprise. (190bhp at the wheel is available over a 3000rpm range). :D

Even with my significantly increased gearing it’ll still pull top gear from below 30mph (Tesco 99RON fuel) without complaint, and will gain speed at a reasonable rate, but the ease and willingness of the engine to add revs means using the gears is way more fun. I’m also a total quick shifter up and down devotee. Running the engine between 4000 and 7000rpm, just using your left foot to flick between 3 or 4 gears really brings out the hooligan (in a good way) and puts a grin on my face a mile wide.

Knowing what I know now, and if I were in the position of having to buy a replacement for a K1300S, there really is no competition. For me, the H2 SX SE really is the best “do everything on tarmac” bike on the market, beating the previous champion (the K1300S) by some significant distance. I’m one happy punter! :D

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 31, 2019, 04:56:07 pm »
Nice to read. How did it handle in the Dolomites (i.e., compared to the K1300S); is it well behaving in the (curves of the) mountains ? The K used to be a little hard turning on curvy terrain, how does the Kawasaki compare to it ?
There are I0 kinds of people : those who can count in binary, and those who can't...

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #97 on: October 31, 2019, 05:38:13 pm »
Excellent write-up as ever. Thanks David.

Those HIDs weren't standard K fitment, so methinks you may have yet another tick for the H2 there.

The chain sounds much less hassle than I remember, which is also good. (Do you have a centre stand for oiling/adjustment?)

Odd about the seat. I hope you've told Kawasaki about their one and only oversight!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 06:39:52 pm by richtea »

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 31, 2019, 05:58:53 pm »
Great write-up as always David and I'm really glad that your initial enthusiasm has not only stood the test of miles but has increased with familiarity.

So, even if we all move from the K to the H2, we can still keep the name  :D

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #99 on: October 31, 2019, 07:37:38 pm »
Nice to read. How did it handle in the Dolomites (i.e., compared to the K1300S); is it well behaving in the (curves of the) mountains ? The K used to be a little hard turning on curvy terrain, how does the Kawasaki compare to it ?

Dolomites write up on page 5 of this thread.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #100 on: October 31, 2019, 07:45:32 pm »
Excellent write-up as ever. Thanks David.

Those HIDs weren't standard K fitment, so methinks you may have yet another tick for the H2 there.

The chain sounds much less hassle than I remember, which is also good. (Do you have a centre stand for oiling/adjustment?)

Odd about the seat. I hope you've told Kawasaki about their one and only oversight!

HID not standard but a common and easy upgrade.  An upgrade option not available on the Kawasaki.

And yes, center stand included

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 31, 2019, 08:30:08 pm »

Is the max. angle of bank readable from some menu on your display, or did you obtain it from some (maybe mobile phone) software ?
There are I0 kinds of people : those who can count in binary, and those who can't...

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #102 on: October 31, 2019, 08:56:48 pm »

Is the max. angle of bank readable from some menu on your display, or did you obtain it from some (maybe mobile phone) software ?

It's one of the very many options on the dash.

ETA Willy waving pictures ;)

« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 08:00:54 am by black-k1 »

Online Swindon Andy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Straight bar conversion, HID dip, clear front indicators, LED rear indicators, TomTom mount, top box (on rare occasions)
« Reply #103 on: October 31, 2019, 11:38:50 pm »
A friend of mine has an H2 SX and is thinking of selling it purely because of the seat. A trip to north Wales left him in agony,  he had to borrow an airhawk, which he didn't really like.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #104 on: November 01, 2019, 08:02:58 am »
A friend of mine has an H2 SX and is thinking of selling it purely because of the seat. A trip to north Wales left him in agony,  he had to borrow an airhawk, which he didn't really like.

It's such a shame Kawasaki have made such a huge, but easy to resolve, mistake. If the offered a "comfort" seat that actually was … it would sell like hot cakes!