Author Topic: Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE  (Read 29524 times)

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
Re: Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
« Reply #135 on: March 02, 2021, 05:12:18 pm »
Flip. Would that be when downshifting if one was unaware of how high the engine was and would be revving? I.e a silly billy? What does the fix do if one tries to smash it down when the new gear would take it over the redline?

I vaguely remember doing that on purpose in maybe an F1 game when it was too easy and over revving would fractionally degrade the engine performance. Computer games yaaay.

I almost accidentally rode to Kawasaki the other day.

Edit: have you ridden the SE+?
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #136 on: March 02, 2021, 07:45:34 pm »
I'm not sure what the actual issue with the quick shifter and changing gear but the bike has a slipper clutch which, I would have thought, should help limit any such down shifting damage.

I've not ridden an SE+ yet. Partially because of a lack of opportunity and partially because I don't want to know what I'm missing.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #137 on: July 21, 2021, 12:18:23 pm »
I thought it was again time for a bit of an update. I had the Kawasaki recall done on the ECU and then sent it off again to Florida to be re-flashed.  There is still no clarity on any of the forums as to what the Kawasaki recall changed/addressed. However, as a result of various customs and other postage issues, Vcyclenut in Florida, who provided my ECU flash, has now stopped shipping across "the pond" so mine will be one of the last such flashes in Europe. I just hope Kawasaki don’t do another recall.

While the commuting has been near non-existent, and the Old Gits trip to Northern Spain had to be cancelled :( , I did manage to get a week riding around the NC500 and other parts of Scotland. That was in the company of 1 x R1200GSA, 2 x KTM SD1290GT and 2 x K1300S. Again, the H2 SX showed that it was the perfect tool for such a trip. The panniers are a good size and swallowed a week’s worth of clothes with ease. I took my tailpack "just in case" but didn’t need it, even to carry the puncture repair kit, extra tools, chain spray, waterproofs etc.

I’d had the suspension set up at MCT prior to the trip, which gave a small but noticeable improvement in the ride/handling, and the addition of the panniers had little impact on the bike. While most of the trip was done at "admire the stunning view" speeds, there were a couple of occasions where there was "some enthusiasm" put into the riding (If you’ve not done it, try the Kinlockleven “long cut”, avoiding the A82 bridge :)  We did it twice!). The panniers didn’t stop some new high scores being set on the dasboard lean-o-meter. Likewise, on one occasion where we found ourselves turning onto a very quiet dual carriageway with clear visibility, where there was the opportunity to pin the throttle all the way up to … er … 70mph, it was very noticeable how the KTMs got some clear space on the K1300Ss but couldn’t touch the H2 SX. Again, the commentary over the intercom from one of the KTM riders was "f*ck that thing is fast!" as he became an ever decreasing dot in my mirror. We completely lost the GSA at this point! ;)

However it wasn’t all good news. One of the KTMs got a hole in his radiator on day 2 of the trip. Despite some epoxy putty and RadWeld, as well as lots of knowledgeable sounding teeth sucking and tyre kicking, the problem couldn’t be fixed and he and the bike were shipped off to the other side of Scotland to the nearest KTM dealer for a new rad. It took the rest of the week for the rad to be delivered (costing £440 in parts – please note) so he hired a car and joined us at our overnight stops.

On day 6 I pulled into the hotel car park in Oban only to discover my radiator relieving itself onto the tarmac. Again, the epoxy putty and RadWeld were engaged to address a very nice little hole in the centre of the radiator, three rows up from the bottom. This time I was lucky, and the fix worked. There was a few worrying minutes while all the previously spilled rad contents boiled off the various bits of exhaust but there were no new puddles.

Moral of the story – buy a radiator guard!

The bike got me home and is now booked in for its annual service (based on time this year, not mileage) where a new radiator, at £770 for parts, (and you thought BMW were bad!!!) will be fitted, along with a radiator guard.

I’d had a set of RoadTec 01 SEs fitted before the trip (replacing Road 5s). Again, these proved to be nicer than the Road 5s with regards to speed of turn in and feel. I’ve not yet been riding on roads where the white lining I experienced previously would be a problem but I did feel that there was more reaction to over-banding than there had been with the Road 5s. I’ll wait and see how they wear but, at the moment, I think I still prefer the Road 5s, but only just.

Again, the Kawasaki was the bike that needed to visit the petrol station first, but the K1300Ss were only just behind. The KTMs and GSA all had bigger tanks so could have gone further.

The Kawasaki tended to need around a litre per tank more than the K1300Ss at each fill up but I was running it in medium power mode. The flash for medium power mode is set up with the focus on power delivery rather than fuel economy. Low power mode (still over 200bhp) has been set up to deliver optimum fuel economy and I suspect that, had I used that, I’d have required less fuel than the BMWs. I’m still not used to swapping power modes "in flight" so as to get the most from the economy when doing the boring bits, but enjoying the bike when the fun bits arrive. Even so, it’s averaging around 46-47mpg, as measured by the fuel poured into the tank which, I think is not too bad.

I and a few of the Old Gits are currently booked to do a run to, through and from the Alps in September. Given the current COVID situation, I suspect that the trip will also be cancelled :( but, if it does happen, then I’ll again be alongside 2 x K1300S and 2 x KTM SD1290GT. Those are both great bikes but I’m still 100% convinced that the H2 SX SE is better. I’m looking forward to getting more miles under its belt. :D

Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #138 on: July 21, 2021, 01:05:27 pm »
Excellent write-up David, thanks.
The H2 SX still looks like the closest match to a K, even after 3-4 years of it being available.

Stones - hhm, maybe that's the main reason to keep the mud deflector/ladder on a K.
You might want to add a fender extender too - belt & braces, so to speak.

The secondhand prices of H2 XS SEs seem to be coming down towards K levels too - still a couple of £k to go, but not bad:
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bike-details/202106264263772?advertising-location=at_bikes&sort=price-asc&include-delivery-option=on&make=KAWASAKI&model=NINJA%20H2%20SX

Still don't like the spikey design but it's a minor detail if it works!

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 21, 2021, 02:08:14 pm »
One of the guys in our group had a stone through his radiator on a Fireblade when we were on Skye. The following year he was sporting a rad guard.

Last year he was on a new Blade and on Skye and he put a stone through his rad again. He had traded his old Blade in and not transfered the stone guard.

Looks like a trip up to Scotland warrants stone guards as well as midge repellent.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #140 on: July 21, 2021, 02:49:31 pm »
I have a fender extender fitted, as did the chap with the KTM. They may (or may not) reduce the risk of a hole in the rad but they don't stop such events. After 43 years of biking, and 40 since my first water cooled bike (I still remember my "plastic maggot" with great fondness), all done without a single holed radiator, I'm not a radiator guard convert.

I bet the chap on the Fireblade was annoyed at himself Tom. To get caught once is unlucky but twice! I don't know what it is about "Scottish stones", perhaps they were formed by millions of gallons of Irn Bru and deep fried Mars Bars wearing them to the hardest possible points over many millennia and making them magnetically attracted to radiators, but it does seem that the radiator casualty rate in Scotland is abnormally high. Apparently, that was the third replacement radiator the KTM dealer had fitted in two months.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 21, 2021, 03:38:06 pm »
Excellent write-up David, thanks.
The H2 SX still looks like the closest match to a K, even after 3-4 years of it being available.

Stones - hhm, maybe that's the main reason to keep the mud deflector/ladder on a K.
You might want to add a fender extender too - belt & braces, so to speak.

The secondhand prices of H2 XS SEs seem to be coming down towards K levels too - still a couple of £k to go, but not bad:
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bike-details/202106264263772?advertising-location=at_bikes&sort=price-asc&include-delivery-option=on&make=KAWASAKI&model=NINJA%20H2%20SX

Still don't like the spikey design but it's a minor detail if it works!

I just need 'my' insurance prices to go down for them!

Lovely update though David thanks!
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #142 on: July 22, 2021, 07:30:15 pm »
Unless it’s an old classic, doubt I see me/us buying another petrol driven bike, i’ve Seen the progress electric mountain bikes have made in the last 3 years, and with the Live Wire and Zero motorcycles coming our way to name just two, the writing is on the wall.

Yea yea I hear the range and charging being trotted out, but when we are into 250 miles and 45 minute charging, which frankly I do not think is 2 years away, it’s going be a whole new ball game.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #143 on: September 24, 2021, 09:02:14 am »
A quick update following the recent blast around the Alps saying farewell to the K1300S MotorSport owning Mark.

The bike was serviced just before the trip with a hefty bill of £1221 but .... the cost of buying and fitting the new radiator and the new guard accounted for almost £950 of that so the actual service wasn't too bad. I'm running a spreadsheet to compare the servicing costs of the H2 SX vs. my two K1300Ss and there is actually very little difference between all three if the costs of the holed radiator are removed. The servicing is now being done on a time basis as I'm not doing enough miles to need it on a mileage basis which will make continuing comparison a little difficult.

Part of the service was for a Kawasaki recall to replace the rear wheel hub bearing due to too little grease being applied at the factory. I had heard of this being a weak spot early on and had ensured it was well greased at previous services so, while mine was replaced, it was still in perfect condition. That mean that in over 30 months of ownership I've still not had to adjust the chain tension as tyre replacement, servicing etc. have all arrived at the time the chain needed adjusting. :D

The only other item of work done outside of the normal service was the replacement of the front wheel bearings.

So, to the trip. I was again impressed with the luggage capacity of the panniers. Packing for 9 days/nights, including alternative biking gear like gloves, tinted visor, waterproofs, floro waistcoat (for French Motorways)  etc. plus rudimentary service items like TyreWeld, plug kit, chain lube (I'll explain that later to the BMW owners :D ) and a few tools, all fitted into two panniers and a small tank bag, and nothing was "rammed full". I could have left the tank bag at home and got everything in the panniers if I'd wanted to squash things in a little.

The bike handled the luggage really well. It wasn't particularly noticeable when riding although what was noticeable was that when the panniers are fitted, I get around 10 to 15 less miles to a tank when travelling at motorway speeds. That meant that the Kawasaki was always the first bike to need fuel on the trip but on most occasions the 2 K1300Ss were only about 10 miles or so off needing fuel themselves. The KTMs, with their 23l tanks, were drinking fuel as quickly as the other bikes but still had a good range left when we were filling up.

While not as comfortable as the seat on the K1300S, the Sargent seat with the AirHawk cushion was comfortable enough for 9 days, each of 7 to 9 hours in the saddle. Likewise, the overall ergos of the bike meant I was no more or no less in need of a stretch/change of position than any of the other riders.

When it came to performance, the difference between the bikes was very noticeable. The KTMs were  easier and quicker to chuck around the hairpins than the K1300Ss but, as regards acceleration, there was little to choose between them. That meant that when we were all trying, the KTMs would consistently pull out some space on the BMWs. The Kawasaki was as least as quick around the hairpins as the KTMs but was noticeably quicker on acceleration, whatever speed we started from. The extra 45+bhp was both noticeable and usable. It meant I was always running with performance in reserve, even when the others were pushing towards the max, and on the occasions where the opportunities allowed for the full potential of the Kawasaki to be used, it pulled away from the other bikes with reasonable ease.

I had Metzler RoadTec 01 SE tyres fitted before the Scotland trip and these were superb. Only on wet over banding on tight switchback hairpins did I get any movement from them, and that was not significant or hugely worrying. They were completely sure footed in the wet and allowed for lean angles up to around 40 degrees (my limit, not the tyres limit) and handled some really serious lean angles (up to 55 degrees) in the dry with complete confidence. While it's totally a subjective judgement, I'd say these are better both in the wet and at more extreme lean angles, wet or dry,  than the Michelin Road 5s. That said, the rear is pretty much worn out at a little over 5500 miles (probably about 2000 less than I'd expect from a Road 5) so the apparent extra grip is being paid for in mileage. Given I no longer do the big commuting miles I used to, it's quite possible I'll stick with the better grip/slightly less mileage compromise.

The white lining issues I'd experienced with my previous set of RoadTec 01s, on my MotorSport, were probably still there but the roads I've been riding have meant that there were significantly fewer situations where that would be a problem.

Now, with over 21k miles on it, the Kawasaki H2 SX SE is still proving to be a superb bike. The finish is still spot on and the bike cleans up like new. Despite getting "familiar" with it, the performance is still breathtaking. The ride remains plush enough for both motorways a bumpy back roads while the handling is better than anything else I'd consider using for a 2800 mile, 9 day Alps passes blast. Sure, a super naked would get up the passes quicker, and a tourer would be more relaxing on the motorway but no single bike could do it all any better. Even the likes of the S1000XR would have been totally outclassed when we hit the unrestricted sections Autobahn. Only the K1300S and the SD1290GT get anywhere close.

It is worth mentioning that the two KTM SD1290GT owners were both extremely happy with their bikes. One of the owners had been a long term (8+ years) K1300S owner and felt that the KTM did everything the K1300S did, only just a little better. After much discussion over a number of beers on the trip, I think that the general agreement was that the H2 SX was the slightly better bike but, even if you could still get one new, no one, including me, was sure that the benefits were worth the extra cost over the SD1290GT. (Unless, of course, you feel a little "inadequate" and need to compensate! Well, that's my justification! ;)  )

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 24, 2021, 09:58:11 am »
Thanks David, great write-up as always!

Related to your last paragraph and having surveyed your KTM boys: were/are there any standard of finish concerns from them? Having come from BMW I'd imagine they're used to such!

I'm now off to do my annual insurance quotes for both bikes :). :winkthumbs:

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #145 on: September 24, 2021, 10:16:51 am »
There were no issues or concerns from the KTM boys for either finish or reliability. The only comment was that the older KTM that didn't have the TFT screen, was harder to read the instruments in the sunshine.

The fairing on the SD1290GT is noticeably smaller than on both the K1300S and the H2 SX. That meant there was slightly less weather protection. It didn't cause any significant issues either during the rain, or on the 150mph autobahn run, but it was commented on.

Both the KTM boys were seriously impressed with the semi-active suspension, and could notice the difference as road surfaces and pace changed.

The one place that the H2 SX really out shone the KTMs was on flexibility. The transition from open road speeds to village road speeds and back up to open road speeds was regularly done in 6th gear on the H2 SX (and on the BMWs) where the KTMs were having to drop from 4th/5th down to second, then back up to 4th/5th. With the up and down quick shifter, that wasn't a huge issue but it didn't stop the chatter on the intercoms consistently mentioning what gear we were each in. ;)

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 24, 2021, 10:33:18 am »
Ah the 30 zone dropping a few gears is something I noticed with my 1250GS too.

Well my quick quoting has shown the H2 SX SE to maintain its place at the top of the quotes (~800GBP if you must know!), whereas a 20 plate 1290GT is down at 4-500 for similar providers. And yes yes, it's lots but remember... loose lips sink ships!

Stage 2 is to see if I can find a low seat for the KTM. And then maybe remember my photocard if I ride to my closest garage again.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #147 on: September 24, 2021, 11:45:46 am »
Good luck and enjoy the test ride. :winkthumbs:

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 24, 2021, 04:21:38 pm »
And book that Suzuki in for November whilst you're at it. For our benefit, not yours - naturally.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #149 on: March 14, 2023, 02:53:35 pm »
So, it's that time of year again, and I've pulled the H2 SX out of the back of the shed for its MoT. This will only be the second time it's been on the road since September last year due to a number of other commitments, and the timing of bad weather. (My free weekends since Sept. almost always aligned with bad weather! :( )

At 25.5k miles, and 5 years, the original chain still looks fine. I'll be surprised if I need to replace it before the autumn, so I expect another 4000 - 5000 miles out of it. The eScottOiler seems to have been worth the money. The move from shaft drive to chain has been really easy - far easier than I thought it was going to be.

The bikes components, fasteners etc. still look like new. They have lasted MUCH better than those on my BMWs did. The bike was expensive but it's easy to understand where Kawasaki spent the money.

After 5 years the engine is still sublime.  Stump pulling torque in every gear right across the rev. range. It can still go very fast very quickly or it's just as happy in 6th gear at 30mph, if asked.

I was looking at replacing it this autumn (with another H2 SX SE) but the condition it's in and the way it rides means I'll probably hold onto it until autumn 2024.

I'm still one very happy owner! :)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2023, 07:27:31 am by black-k1 »