Author Topic: My K has departed but...................  (Read 8279 times)

gibbo

My K has departed but...................
« on: May 17, 2016, 10:24:41 pm »
After much soul searching, my K has finally departed. After nearly three years of much enjoyable ownership (mostly) and with the 30K mileage creeping ever nearer, my thought process was that my extended warranty would not cover any ESA failure which could run into a four figure sum to put right.

In the last few weeks I've been testing other bikes including younger K bikes in R and S formats and they are still brilliant bikes, but I've gone for something else, hence demoting myself (with the Moderator's permission) into the bowels of the 'Other K bikes or anything else' section.

So here it is.................

This bike is so comfortable, smooth, vibe free and effortless to ride, it beggars belief. I'll let you know in due course when I've put a few hundred miles on it and report back if anyone's interested. If you have the opportunity the test ride a ZZR, then do so and choose the model from 2012 onwards as Kawasaki seemed to have ironed out the small glitches that previous models had.

Offline JackSnipe

• View Profile
Re: My K has departed but...................
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 10:37:29 pm »
Nice looking bike and a great engine. Interested to hear what you think of the riding positionand if you take pillions on what is the verdict,

Enjoy it,
JS

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 02:19:12 pm »
Nice! I always liked the looks of the big Kwak and it almost seems as if it was designed to be produced in Kermit Green  8)

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 02:24:17 pm »
Beutifull bike, color could easily be a subject for discusion but only the owner can expalin his choice and we all have to live with it. Its like women for only a handfull few we all agree.
Have only one objection the brakes.most owners here change the rear disc on demand at dealers before delivery.
Embrace the wind.

Offline Expo

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1300s
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 04:48:47 pm »
Very nice bike. I like the colour,I'm a traditionalist lol. Please keep us updated.
"Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence."

Offline Dusty

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200R Sport; 2007
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 05:53:18 pm »
I have a soft spot for Kawasakis, having owned several of them in the 70s and 80s. That looks like a cracker. Enjoy! When I do move on fom my K, I intend to have a close look at the Z1000SX.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 07:42:08 pm »
They also do an Ohlins special version with a bit more go  ::) but as someone who doesn't suffer any financial restrictions from his other half when it comes to bikes the two up ability of that bikewould get me in the divorce court. :)

Offline JackSnipe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 08:33:09 pm »
Apparently needs more down shifting than the K bike when going for overtakes according to the road tests, as it has less torque lower down than the BM, bit of a different story at the other end of the range though !
JS

gibbo

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 08:57:24 am »
Thanks for all the comments chaps. I'm a good reader of other bikers opinions and value them.

JS. I find the riding position very similar to the test ride on the 1300S, fairly forward than the R, but if it becomes a problem in the future, I'll fit some helibar risers. I won't be carrying a pillion as my dear wife wouldn't be able to alight it. I've not found any problem with overtaking, it just seems to take off in any gear and that's on low power mode.

Costas. The colour is subjective, but I've started to get used to it. Looks especially nice in the sunshine. You're right about the rear brake, a little vague when up to temperature, just need more pressure to operate it but the front brake makes up for it big time.

I've only just found this write up from Hedgehogs old website on Big Bike Mad. Just about sums it up really. Here's the link.

http://bigbikemad.com/old/kawasaki-zzr1400.html

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2016, 09:23:36 am »
I was talking to a trader a few weeks back who had ridden the Ohlins model and he gets to ride just about everything the look on his face when he was saying it's the only bike he's ever ridden where at over 100 the speedo climbs faster than the Rev counter :o

Offline Perbunan

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2016, 09:03:34 pm »
Nice choice, I toyed between the K and ZZR and obviously chose the K, my mate has test rode a few and will be getting the performance model as soon as his divorce is finalised so I shall grab the chance to test ride it and may well go down the same rode in a couple of years once my mileage climbs nearer ballpoint time  :D

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2016, 06:46:47 am »
Nearer ballpoint  or ball joint time? :D
Embrace the wind.

Offline Perbunan

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2016, 11:01:37 pm »
Nearer ballpoint  or ball joint time? :D

Well spotted, damn auto fill! I suppose balljoint leads to ballpoint time!  :D

Offline Expo

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1300s
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2016, 11:44:20 pm »
And maybe ball ache  ;D
"Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence."

howlindawg

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2016, 11:17:44 pm »
Great choice!
If I didn't have a K13 this is the bike I'd have.
And with the big K deleted from the BMW range it might very well be the next.

There's something about the louvres on the side that puts me in mind of the Norton Rotary F1 racers.