Author Topic: K1300s 2013 Dip Headlight Not Working  (Read 13426 times)

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: K1300s 2013 Dip Headlight Not Working
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2016, 11:17:43 pm »
We will find out when the OP posts up and tells us what they found.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2016, 09:25:09 am »
Just found the K1200S wiring diagram in the resources section.

Assuming the K1300 is similar, all lighting & other ancilliaries wire direct to & are controlled by the ZFE unit.
Switches also connect direct to this unit, so there is no direct control from any switch to any light / horn etc.

So either the wire to the ZFE is disconnected or the ZFE is broke.

The ZFE seems to be permanently connected accross the battery to keep it powered up, so it might be worth disconnecting the battery for a minute then re-connecting & see if the function is restored.
It's not the same and the canbus is also adjusted at deferent current values.
Embrace the wind.

Offline clockers

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Fenda extenda, Hugger, Clear Lenses,Heli bars,Hid, Carbon parts
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2016, 11:53:29 am »
Thanks for all the feedback. :D
Somehow after moving switch gear and wiring loom about I now have power. Been out on 200 mile ride all OK, thinking it could have been a bad earth?

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2016, 04:05:51 pm »
Good news but keep an eye on it cos it could be the switchgear on the way out and I would still mention it to the dealer!

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2016, 09:13:53 am »
Take it to them and insist to change the swichgears free of charge , they have to do it.
Embrace the wind.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2016, 12:38:47 pm »
...and they should change both sides even though only one is playing up! If they don't they are just wonkers as well as cheapskates and rubbish at customer satisfaction  :o

Offline Unclemicky

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2018, 03:12:13 pm »
My dip head light blew again so instead of just putting in a new one I had a good look at the two connectors that slide and supposed to click into the very small holes on the rear of the H7 bulb , they were a very loose fit so I put a thin screwdriver into the rear of the connector and forced the spring clip back into position , put the connector onto the bulb and it was a much better fit , and to hold it into position better I put a piece of scouring pad with sponge into the screw on cap hopefully to stop it wobbling about , we'll see , Heath Robinson is alive and well in my shed  :)

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
  • My K bike model:: K1300s 2009
  • Modifications and add-ons:: rear splash guard, Sargent seat and pod, 35mm bar risers
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2019, 01:17:57 pm »
Just got back from the Dolomites. Lost my main beam after getting off the train, it was working beforehand.
Tried one bulb and it is working OK. I suspect the switch but have recently changed the position of my Helibars so maybe the wiring being in a slightly different position maybe broke a wire or something and as I am no bloody good tracing electrical faults i'm stymied.
Its not always the destination that counts its the ride, having a destination just stops you going round in circles.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2019, 03:30:46 pm »
I'm sure Tom has a multimeter  8)

You could try putting the Helibars back and see if the light comes back.

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
  • Modifications and add-ons:: rear splash guard, Sargent seat and pod, 35mm bar risers
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2019, 07:09:49 pm »
That was my next move. Like the pun Brian
Its not always the destination that counts its the ride, having a destination just stops you going round in circles.

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2019, 10:26:21 am »
Well the bulbs are working, so costed out a replacement cluster at £198. Apparently they were replaced under warranty in 2010 so only have a 2 year warranty on the replacements. My 1991 VFR clusters are stillworking fine, why are BMW's such crap?

The heated grip has to be removed so are there any tips or dodges in getting it off.

I'll have a fiddle around moving bars etc to see if breaths some life into it but I fear I will have to pay up.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2019, 12:24:18 pm »
The heated grip just slides off after you take out the screw/bolt (can't remember which) that lurks beneath the flange on the inner end of the left grip.

Pull the rubber flange away from the switchgear with your thumb, about level with the indicator switch.

After that, you are into the switchblock screws. I can't remember if there is enough free play in the heated grip cable to allow it to come off the end of the bar or whether you have to remove the Helibar from the top yoke to get enough play.

Good luck.

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2019, 08:04:04 pm »
Things had turned for the worse.
The engine needs to run to check headlights so the starter button jams on me. I guess the spring behind it has jammed. Ahh well.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2019, 08:31:54 pm »
Don't bother doing the lottery this week Ron  :-[

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2019, 08:15:56 am »
I did and didn't get one number out of five lines