Author Topic: unusual brake fault  (Read 7676 times)

Offline farmer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1200rs, k1300s
unusual brake fault
« on: August 07, 2019, 11:30:52 am »
hi all, one of my riding buddies got a bit of a scare on his k1300s. upon startup and taking off his brake lever felt "empty" with no braking. couple of pumps and everything is back to normal, it dosn't do this every time but has done it a few times always shortly after start up...make any sense to anyone?

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Re: unusual brake fault
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 11:37:27 am »
The first thing to do would be bleed the brakes or hook it up to a GS911 and hope the ABS pump is not on it's way out.

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 11:48:55 am »
Need to bleed system correctly, afterwards fill it up with bmw fluid and install a new sponge.
This is common on users of some aftermarket fluid. You're looking at the first step prior to destroy abs pump.
Embrace the wind.

Offline farmer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 12:06:56 pm »
that'll impress him no end. he's had the bike about a year now, it is due a service, would a brake fluid change "save" the abs pump or is it terminal ?.
like myself he's not near any motorcycle dealers....think beverely hillbillies without the money...or weather...or indeed neighbours...so would normal bleeding be worth a shot?
does everything need to go through a computer now.....most annoying!

Offline John

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Seat modded
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2019, 01:36:37 pm »
Sounds like front wheel bearing failure... the excess side to side play in the wheel, caused by worn wheel bearings, pushes the pads back into the caliper which then requires a couple of brake pumps to push them back out.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 01:57:37 pm by John »
Ex Motor mechanic. Retired

Offline farmer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2019, 02:26:38 pm »
never thought on wheel bearing failure....it does tick a lot of boxes on the symptom side and probably a lot cheaper fix.
i've been thinking also(dangerous i know) would an abs failure not leave the brakes as normal just no abs feature...if that makes sense, surly an abs failure that left you with no brakes would be highly dangerous, compared to the old days when brakes either worked or didn't.

Offline farmer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2019, 02:31:38 pm »
should have said the brakes have been untouched this year..i.e they haven't been worked at in a way that they would need bled...dunno if thats relevant but generally bleeding the system is only necessary after work is done on the bike.
then again this is the wonderful world of k1300s...

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2019, 02:44:29 pm »
Costas's point about the foam sponge in the brake master cylinder reservoir is also a good one. A mate suffered horrendous brake 'failure' on his K13 before they introduced the foam insert.

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2019, 08:39:20 pm »

never thought on wheel bearing failure....it does tick a lot of boxes on the symptom side and probably a lot cheaper fix.
i've been thinking also(dangerous i know) would an abs failure not leave the brakes as normal just no abs feature...if that makes sense, surly an abs failure that left you with no brakes would be highly dangerous, compared to the old days when brakes either worked or didn't.

Any chance of posting if the fault was rectified, and what the problem was?

Offline John

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2019, 12:14:21 pm »
Is it just me?... or do others also think it discourteous when posters seek solutions but can't be bothered to post back the outcome!

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2019, 12:27:26 pm »
No it's not just you  ??? A lot of members forget that these forums are about sharing experiences so others can benefit.
Of course it could be it's not been fixed yet.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2019, 12:55:51 pm »
The solution may not have been found yet...

Offline farmer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2019, 06:08:25 pm »
relax guys....no need for panic.
was a few days before i got over to look at his bike and until today for the weather and time planets to align...but this is probably the easiest,cheapest and silliest problem solved yet.
when pulling the brake pedal it went in a lot...uncomfortably so yet there was for sure a pedal there, sponge present fluid correct and wheel bearing seemed ok. while doing the normal head scratching and feeling/ribbing round the "affected areas" i happened to turn the small lever adjuster which i didn't even realise was there, it turned a little a fell into place and locked.(if that makes sense) anyway i pulled out the lever and screwed the lever out....hey presto brake problem seemed solved. some "passer by" has be noseying round his bike and turned the screw for no good reason.....my thoughts anyway.
today we took the bikes out a run and he seems happy with the brakes now.
however the course of true love does not run smooth and i think his starter button failed today....it's definitely not working now as two cross bikers set upon it on the first good biking day in a long time passed us by.....grrr
that said.....brakes success!!!! thanks for the suggestions folks   

Offline farmer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2019, 06:13:34 pm »
(well, the nice ones anyway)
discourteous indeed , i'll have you know i resemble that remark !!!

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2019, 06:32:50 pm »
Tossers, if it was meddling.

Now then, starter button/kill switch is a known failure requiring new switchgear on the right.

OR

Someone else has flicked his kill switch to off...you have checked I hope  8)