Author Topic: Today's tyre is.....  (Read 2063 times)

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Today's tyre is.....
« on: November 15, 2018, 02:02:57 pm »
...the Metzeler Roadtec 01.

I've hated Metzelers since I put an atrocious pair of Lazers (sp) onto a Laverda triple many eons ago.
Near lethal - and that's in comparison to Pirelli Phantoms - phantom as in you thought you had some grip, but hey where's it gone. In the wet Metzeler Lazers were a grippy as having Scottoilers mounted centrally over both tyres.

But today, Wheelhouse convinced me Roadtecs are 'just the same as Pirelli Angels, mate. They're like a newer model of the Angel by the same company in effect, just a different tread pattern.
Oh and they're £15 less. No brainer.'

I'm such a cheapskate tart.  ;D

However, MCN did award it tyre of the year for 2016 & 2017, and it has few German awards too.
But the main reason was to try the 'third' choice - I've already done Pirelli and Michelin. In about 6,000 miles time, I'll know which is best - for me at least.

The front is a standard Roadtec, the rear is the heavyweight one (aka 'HWM'), as recommended by Metz/Wheelhouse.

Coming off were Mich PR4s. Not as good as the Angels on my previous bike, but only by a small margin. The main annoyance is whitelining even though there was plenty of tread left*. This was my second try of Mich PRs (last time was on my prev K), and that rear also whitelined well before the tread expired. Not so the Angels - they were steady, if a bit squared off, all the way through to the end of their life.
The new bike has only done 11300 miles, 4k in my hands, so I reckon these PR5s were the second pair of tyres, and had maybe done around 5,000 miles.

*that, and/or I have some wear in the steering. It feels slightly vague as I tip in, and then once I'm over, everything is OK. It may be slightly wandering while riding through town too. Still trying to decide. Another couple of dry trips needed on the new Roadtecs.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 03:46:40 pm by richtea »

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Re: Today's tyre is.....
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 03:18:05 pm »
Thanks Rich, keep us posted.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 05:01:37 pm »
*that, and/or I have some wear in the steering. It feels slightly vague as I tip in, and then once I'm over, everything is OK. It may be slightly wandering while riding through town too. Still trying to decide. Another couple of dry trips needed on the new Roadtecs.

It's yer ball-joints I tell you  8)

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 05:26:32 pm »

It's yer ball-joints I tell you  8)

Could well be, Brian. Its just a vague uneasiness at the moment, and then you're over in the turn, and no problem.

I just thought I can't bitch to the garage if I've got 3/4 shot tyres on. So I'll give it another few spins, if the weather stays as glorious as its been in the past few weeks (answer: it won't be - sez Sods Law), and let you know.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 06:10:37 pm »
In both cases when mine went, there was a distinct weave at about 30'ish, a low amplitude, low frequency wandering either side of dead ahead. For those old school riders, on any other bike it would be a case of shot head bearings.

Also, in both cases, mine had 'brake judder' at high speed, above about 80, which obviously wasn't the brakes as it turned out.