Author Topic: Machine Tools  (Read 3570 times)

Andym535

Machine Tools
« on: May 17, 2019, 12:18:55 pm »
My obsession with buying tools that I don’t really need has got to the point where I’m thinking of getting a Lathe and milling machine. Many years ago I did an engineering apprenticeship so I do know how they work, just after any good/bad experiences of different makes.

I know the first question will be, what do you want to do with it? Although I’d like to say it’s so I’ll be ready if BMW stop supplying parts, a more honest answer would be ‘to convert useful chunks of metal into swarf’.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Re: Machine Tools
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 12:39:15 pm »
I got myself a 12" with 7" swing Mini Lathe on Ebay a few years ago. Use it often to make little bits and bobs.

Offline stevel

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 02:15:49 pm »
Depends on space and budget. Which one is the limiting factor?

Steer clear of cheap Chinese made stuff (this includes the likes of Clarke, Draper, Sealey, Warco etc). A good, used English made machine (from the good old days!) will be far more use than any of them. Make sure the lathe you get works on 240v - larger ones often require 3-phase electrics (unless you happen to have 3-phase in your workshop...)

If space and budget are available, something like a lower end Boxford, or a Harrison would be a very good machine (they're big and heavy, but that's good in a lathe!)

At the smaller end, Myford are the go-to choice of folks with enough cash to spare. They're not cheap, but they are reasonably accurate and rigid. They also have the best aftermarket support (try buying spare changegears for anything else!). ML7's are mysteriously well regarded, but the design is from the 1930's. The design was updated in the 50's, and relaunched as the 'Super 7', and it has changed very little since then. It uses drip oilers for the bearings (regular ball bearings), they need to be topped up etc etc. Their later ML10 model is a bit smaller, but still OK for most jobs, and has taper roller bearings which use grease instead of oil, and needs far less maintenance.

Screwcutting is a good feature to have on a lathe, most will be capable, but some smaller ones might not. Back gear (another name for a really low gearing to enable low speeds with high torque) is really handy. All lathes should come with (as a minimum): A 3 jaw chuck, a 4 jaw chuck, a faceplate, chuck key, a carton of oil for the bed (if not, what were they oiling the bed with???), a set of changegears, some lathe tool bits, and the electrics should have an emergency stop button (not always the case on older lathes).

Whatever machine you get, you should have a go on it before purchase. Listen for dodgy bearings (in the headstock, tailstock and motor), check the bed has no tight spots (move the saddle along the entire length of the bed - it should have a nice even resistance along the whole length). Check for play in the tool mount - best way to do this is to take a light cut in something hard, like steel. If you see/feel the tool post flexing as the tool bit contacts metal, that's not good. Also check for free play when you move the tool - the gear drives will have a little bit of slack, but it shouldn't be much. The more slack there is, the more the machine will frustrate you as you try to do anything with precision.

Last thing I can think of - most machines will be imperial, which for anyone below retirement age tends to be a pain. If you're comfortable in an imperial world, feel free. Otherwise, it helps if you can find a metric machine (it'll REALLY help with screwcutting).

Once you get the lathe, grab yourself a load of aluminium alloy off cuts to practice on, and (it should go without saying really) for god's sake wear safety glasses. They're a pain, but I'd have lost both eyes at least 3 times by now if I hadn't been wearing them. Oh, and make sure you have good lighting in your work area!

Milling machines are a whole different ball game, although the same applies re the Chinese stuff. At the lower end of the market, milling machines tend to be small and bendy - not what you want really. They get expensive very quickly, so my answer was to get a vertical slide for the lathe, which effectively turns your lathe into a horizontally mounted milling machine. You're a bit limited in movement - maybe 80mmx60 or thereabouts, but it allows many jobs to be done.

Of course, once you have decided and purchased, do get back to us with pictures so we can all drool over your new toy.

Steve

« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 02:20:38 pm by stevel »

Andym535

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 04:16:21 pm »
Steve,

Thanks for the reply and the advice.

Space- Double garage that's not wasted on cars, so within reason most stuff will fit. Budget- probably easiest to list the sort of things I've been considering...

I did look at Warco, as even though they are Chinese made some people say they are OK, WM290V Lathe / GH18 mill

As it works fairly well on the K, I'm also thinking of going the weird german engineering route with a Wabeco D2400 / F1200

There's also the various S/H Olde English stuff like the ML7s and others you mention. Although I can see the value for money and quality in that approach, the downsides are that I don't really know enough to tell a good one from a bad one and the logistics of transporting upwards of a ton of cast iron. I've got a 2 ton floor crane for positioning it in the garage, but that doesn't help getting it loaded at the other end.

I don't think I want CNC, though maybe a DRO would be useful.

Offline beech

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S 2009
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Remus Hexcone
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 05:49:07 pm »
Living in the UK you have access to plenty of good machinery from there and Europe. I spent some time collecting tools for my retirement. I find that when you have the tool all of a sudden you realize "I can make that now". It will grow from that. First tool I bought was a wire feed welder. This changed much. Then I bought an EMCO lathe, a small but very accurate machine made in Austria. I added digital read out to it for production work when I make a lot of one item. There is even a club for them based over there somewhere on Google. Here is a short video of that machine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4WjZuNRsLA

I also bought its partner a F3 vertical milling machine. It also had digital location read out which is a really good thing. Turns out this is rather rare. A fine machine but only 1 HP. Good for small work or going slow and mine was ordered with no power feed unit. Rats, I have not been able to find one. I use it for all my aluminum work and light steel work. I also have a Hendey 15x54 heavy duty lathe. Weighs 7500lbs and was made in 1947. This machine has threading capabilities that are at the top of the line. It is 10 hp but the shop that rebuilt the electric motor for me says it is really closer to 15 .Many were shipped to the UK during WW2. I bought a 220 volt rotary  converter to create 3 phase power. But the way to go these days are the use of Variable Frequency Drive units. They are relatively cheap and solve many problems. I also have a Abene mill from Sweden. It is both a horizontal and vertical machine, spindle is 6 hp and the feed is 2 hp. A very cool machine. This does all my heavy work. I have tooling for cylinder head clean up and make various "stuff" with it. My best friend in the shop is a 25" Cincinnati Bickford 21" Super Survice drill press. It is very ridge and can drill holes up to 1.75" in steel with out even breathing hard. Automatic feed. I use it for most all my drill work because of its stability and other qualities. I installed some modernSquare D electronics for motor control as the original was gone and the second set of controls someone put on it was from the 50's and was un reliable.

I used to make wheel balance machines, about 15 every winter, but the Chinese make a good one for 50$ so I quit. I still make various BMW tools such as rear wheel balance adapters and suspension lift plates for K bikes. But it is the odd seal installer, bar end weights for that special mirror, fix stuff for friends that I like. Last job in the shop was rebuilding a coffee bagging machine that was worn out, new bushings for a small sawmill, boat shafting bushings, stuff that a large shop charges 80$ an hour I do for much cheaper. I don't like doing one off complicated work for others because it gets to the point where there are so many hours in it that I can not charge a fair price. I have to do it just to keep busy. The luggage rack for my S bike required the use of the lock works from the original seat which I did not want to remove. An hour or so on the machines and a suitable mechanical lock was fabricated that took a coin to operate. That sort of thing you just can't go buy. So be careful where you start, it grows. The machine is not too expensive, the tooling is important and adds to the cost so be sure to collect as much of it as you can when you buy the machine. You will need a good grinder for tool sharpening. Youtube is your friend.

I love my hobby. As you indicated you love tools, owning some of these machines is like having art on the wall. I have a small shaper that is good for making internal key ways, but the milling machines do most of the rest of the things shapers were used for.

Start your collection with a good small lathe. As mentioned don't go cheap. The end quality of the work and other problems will drive you nuts. Learn how to set your machines up. Buy some books, look some on line but all the how too machine books, some good ones out there, will really help you to learn quality working skills and of course be safe, fingers fly and it is all too easy to get sucked in and spit out badly hurt.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 06:03:34 pm by richtea »
beech
K1300S
S1000R

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 05:01:11 pm »
I got dragged into a discussion between a newbie machinist and an old hand along similar lines to your comments.

After much advice and questioning the newbie (who was retired, so not a fresh-faced kid) finally admitted he would probably end up using the machines he was lusting after to 'turn useful pieces of material into useless piles of swarf'.

I think that beautifully sums up my attitude to anything bigger than a small pillar drill  8)

Online richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 05:28:28 pm »
I think that beautifully sums up my attitude to anything bigger than a small pillar drill  8)

Me and Matt both have small pillock drills.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 06:02:23 pm »
I have it on good authority that pillocks are very hard to drill, on account of them not wanting to stand still for long enough.

Online richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2019, 06:14:11 pm »
I have it on good authority that pillocks are very hard to drill, on account of them not wanting to stand still for long enough.

That, and they're very dense.

Anyway, back to the real discussion. Sorry for the thread hijack.  :-X

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2019, 09:52:10 pm »
No yer not   8)

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2019, 09:15:31 pm »
I struggle for space to keep my vehicles and would certainly not have room for a machine workshop. And to do it proper one would of course require three phase.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Andym535

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2019, 10:45:53 pm »
I was talking to a neighbor the other day, while helping him remove a wheel from his car that had a flat tyre and really tight wheel bolts thanks to KwikFit. He's now working at a place that makes bits for F1 cars and they have some really interesting machine tools including some 5 axis CNC stuff and a 3d printer that prints in metal. They use it for custom made titanium manifolds apparently. Anyone have an stl file for an Akra?

Offline beech

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2019, 05:09:35 am »
Turning 18x4" studs, nuts on each end to bring up two flanges. These were fitted bolts for a rudder to rudder post, called palm bolts. Scrap once remove. Made 20 fourth of july cannons from them. Not precise machining but fun product. Seems I can't make enough of them. One version or another I have sold over 65 of them in the past few years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYVmdTFBQcE
beech
K1300S
S1000R

Offline beech

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2019, 05:31:31 am »
I make some BMW useful tools on my machines. One is a rear wheel adapter for the 5 bolt rear wheels so you can balance them. Mine is heavy duty. Yesterday I had a guy over for new tires on his 80's Honda Interceptor. He also needed wheel valves. He pre ordered some but they were 14mm and the rim holes about 11mm. BMW 15mm valves fit into a 14mm hole in the rim. I worried. Went down to the local honda shop and asked the parts manager if I could use the larger as I was really not wanting to, I have seen thinner diameter valves in the past for this. He said yes, they just lube them up and pull them in. I went for it and worked out fine. Learned a good lesson. So today I took one of my rear wheel adapter tools for BMW 5 bolt wheels and gave it to him as thanks. He was shocked (he was watching me with suspicion as I walked in thinking here comes trouble). He was shocked for the gift as I told him that his location on a local major highway might induce troubled bmw riders to stop in for emergency repairs. With this tool he could do tire changes and offer the proper balance job. Got the big introduction to the dealer general manager. He talked to me a while and offered me a job in the shop. Most of the shops are short techs, don't pay enough the last few years. Sorry, I've turned that down a couple of times. My own shop keeps me busy enough. He might want me to show up at 0900 every day! But it was an ego boost. So, some  of these tools do make good stuff. I like to use a diamond lathe tool to finish nice aluminum tools. Cold bluing for steel tool finish.

beech
K1300S
S1000R

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2019, 11:13:00 am »
I applaud your kindness. Well done  8)