Author Topic: K1300Gt exhaust can glowing red  (Read 16941 times)

Offline nookles

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 1300Gt SE
K1300Gt exhaust can glowing red
« on: December 18, 2021, 06:05:19 pm »
Hi all
I have a 2010 K1300GT which is running on 3 cylinders until around 2000 rpm then seems to run fine after that.
I have a seven mile run into work, and the bike must be burning fuel in the can as it is glowing red hot internally by the time I get there. Header pipes are fine and a fairly even temperature across the four.
I have had a BMW mechanic run a 20k full service and diagnostics with no fault codes, but he has been unable to source the problem
All injectors checked for resistance.
Throttle butterflies checked.
All spark plugs renewed.
No 2 cylinder plug cap was swapped for one of the others and then the adaptation values were reset.
Fitted booster plug which registers the air temp correctly and is doing its job enriching the mixture.
At a complete loss what to do next so any suggestion will be welcome.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: K1300Gt exhaust can glowing red
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2021, 10:40:27 pm »
When iit's running on three cylinders, take the temperature of each headerpipe as it exits the cylinder head, with an infra red thermometer. This will show which cylinder is not firing. I'm guessing that you have a faulty coil.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2021, 08:55:37 am »
What he said

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2021, 11:59:19 am »
Well, he does say the header temps have been checked and are fairly even across the four...so was that by a thermometer or by spitting on them and listening to the sizzle?

Offline nookles

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2021, 12:03:01 pm »
Yep, used a thermal image sensor. Don't know for sure but i suspect the mech will have disconnected each coil in turn to determine that its No 2 cylinder.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2021, 01:50:07 pm »
Coils are a known failure on the K, either low down and fine at revs or vice-versa. Either way, you need to change all four despite the cost because the cost of labour to get to them is worse than the cost of the coils. After market coils are available which are more affordable than the OEM ones and just as reliable from reports.

Also, why you have a booster plug fitted is a mystery, richening the mixture is asking for trouble with your current fault and does very little for the performance of the engine anyway.

Offline nookles

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2021, 04:11:35 pm »
The mechanic didn't think we needed to replace all four coils.
The coil caps were swapped between the new coil on No 2 and an adjacent coil.
The problem was still with No 2 which has me thinking its a wiring issue.

Offline Gingerchunkyboy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2021, 08:01:04 pm »
I had a glowing red/orange end can on my K1300s with rough low end running i took my plugs and coils out the plugs were a normal colour . i convinced myself i had an air problem so i loaded the parts cannon with a secondary air valve an idle actuator and a lambda sensor . I fitted all 3 parts and the problem cleared up i cant say what fixed it but my guess would be the lambda sensor. Im no expert just passing on my experience .

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2021, 08:27:55 pm »
That's always the trouble with loading up the parts cannon, you never know what was wrong.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2021, 10:28:36 am »
The problem with the bits on the airbox is that it is a pain to get to (particularly for the mechanically challenged among us) so changing both parts at once is the easy way out. The total cost of the bits isn't exactly crippling so the scatter gun approach is reasonable.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2021, 10:59:03 am »
I understand the parts verses labour, however if you want to know what the problem was you need to change one part at a time.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2021, 01:43:49 pm »
Only if you want to know, most folks want a cheap'ish and effective fix, especially if the bike is your commuter.

Back in the early days of the sticking throttles, when I had the airbox off and on the K12 more times than I could count, I never found what was causing the problem but a cheap (£99) set of throttle bodies of a newer bike fixed it.

Being an anal type I phaffed around with the duff ones for weeks trying to find what was causing it, all to no avail. Most folks would be happy with the fix and bin the old ones.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2021, 04:19:12 pm »
I know Brian, but you know what I'm like.  8)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2021, 10:55:18 am »
 :)

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2021, 11:45:40 am »
A few years ago we did an Old Gits trip to the French Alps. The chap on the K1200S had saved money by only replacing one coil. Sure enough, on about day 2 or 3, his 1200/4 became a 900/3. That was his holiday ruined!

If it were me, I'd replace all 4.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org