Author Topic: Cruise control - if anyone fancies it......  (Read 6347 times)

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: Cruise control - if anyone fancies it......
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2019, 12:11:51 pm »
On my current VFR, I 3D- designed and 3D- printed one myself...

Excellent (and correct) use of technology, Philippe. Top marks.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2019, 10:35:34 pm »
Mine is a modified Kaoko throttle lock.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2019, 07:43:40 am »
In which way modified ? I seem to miss the metal/PVC ring, and see a rubber ring in its place. But what's the benefit of this ?
There are I0 kinds of people : those who can count in binary, and those who can't...

Offline flatfour

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 1300 GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Headlight protector, clear front indicators
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2019, 09:17:20 am »
After having cruise control on my BMW K1200 RS, I moved on to a Kawasaki GTR and then a Kawasaki Versys 1000. It was the one thing that I really missed on both of those bikes and I see that Kawasaki have now included it on the 2019 Versy 1000 SE.

With the K1300 GT, I have already used it quite frequently in the 1000 miles that I have covered so far. Travelling in France in the summer, it is ideal on the AutoRoute stretches.

Not a deal breaker if a new bike that I want doesn't have it, but it is a very useful (and much used) feature for me.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2019, 09:42:27 am »
Conversely I don't use mine much at all except in the average speed roadworks sections, and occasionally on motorways.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2019, 11:01:21 am »
I must admit that cruise control is something I'm really looking forward to on my new bike.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2019, 11:25:51 am »
Call me crazy, but if you're using cruise control on a bike, then you've either:
- taken the wrong route or
- taken the wrong vehicle

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2019, 11:46:00 am »
Too simplistic Rich. I do lots of miles on the A120 and M11 each day to get to/from work. Being able to set an appropriate speed on a cruise control rather than  allowing the inevitable gentle gain in mph that happens when my right hand is in charge will be great for protection of my license. While not the best biking roads, there isn't a viable alternative route that doesn't add a significant amount of time. (And time is important!)

Likewise, due to family and work commitments, the time I have for biking holidays is restricted to 1 week per year. To get to and from any of the "nice" bits of Europe knocks two days off my holiday if I use Auto-routes and 4 days off my holiday if I don't use auto-routes. The alternatives to the auto-routes are no more fun than the auto-routes!!! That means I'll have two days of my holiday sitting a a constant high(ish) speed in a country where speed limit enforcement is enthusiastic. A cruise control option is pretty attractive.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 11:48:29 am by black-k1 »
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2019, 03:36:36 pm »
Good answer, David. Mine was somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but a fair cop.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 05:09:54 pm by richtea »

Offline sitting_duck

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2013 K1300S 30th Year
  • Modifications and add-ons:: LED indicators, LED H7 Conversion, HP Dash
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2019, 04:32:03 pm »
In which way modified ? I seem to miss the metal/PVC ring, and see a rubber ring in its place. But what's the benefit of this ?

filed off most of the "teeth" around the edge - seen that done a few times. If you stare at it for too long you'll see the file marks.

Offline sitting_duck

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2019, 04:36:52 pm »
I wouldn't mind cruise as a feature, but I tend to avoid mways like the plague - I hate squared off tyres, and motorways so can't see the use for me.

That said the cruise in my car is no good either, it's radar adaptive but also will steer too - catch is, they're not designed to work at the speeds I want to go and I can't shorten the distance to the level I want either - it's like max highway code distance x 2, and the damned thing overreacts - it can't seem to brake moderately - it's like all or nothing (bloody Volvo's).

All that being the case, it would have been good if BMW had fitted cruise to the K13S as they did the GT such that any prospective future owners out there could take advantage even if I can't / won't / don't know how to.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2019, 08:29:07 pm »
I'm fairly sure you can buy a set of throttle bodies off a GT at a reasonable cost and that will give you the cruise bits, then you just need the 'tronics programmed to suit.

My Wunderlich throttle friction additive device suits my needs, is less agressive in the cog department than the Kako version and being blue, it used to match my blue and white K12S perfectly. Pity the 13 is black  8)

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2019, 12:25:15 am »

filed off most of the "teeth" around the edge - seen that done a few times. If you stare at it for too long you'll see the file marks.
Correct. I've filed off most of the teeth because I could feel them on the heel of my palm. The photo above is with the adjuster in the tighter position and the remaining teeth upwards. In the off position the teeth are downwards and out of sight.

I find the throttle lock useful on a long journey to give my right wrist a rest without having to stop. It does illustrate how the speed varies with the slightest change in gradient even though the throttle is locked.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

howlindawg

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2019, 08:42:10 am »
I used a throttlemeister on my Triumph and loved it for longer rides.
It's a simple and clever design that disengages the lock as you roll off the throttle.

I'd definitely consider a proper cruise control as part of a spec package on a new bike but don't think I'd bother with a retro fit.

Offline sitting_duck

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2019, 10:18:58 pm »
I'm fairly sure you can buy a set of throttle bodies off a GT at a reasonable cost and that will give you the cruise bits, then you just need the 'tronics programmed to suit.

That's pretty much what is being tried but there's a bit more to it, if memory serves correct the GT switches need modding onto the S which ought to be doable easy enough, a mod to the loom needs doing to accomodate the switch - but there's also something about it can't be done on the 1200's as the ABS is a fairly different system.

I seem to recall there's also an issue with the throttle cable on the S - all very vague sounding I know.

There are a whole 2 threads on the net where this is being discussed, one English one German and I'll be damned if I can find them again.  If I can I'll post em in so peeps can read up.