Author Topic: My Honda CBR1000 F-H  (Read 3658 times)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
My Honda CBR1000 F-H
« on: February 12, 2016, 12:14:50 am »

Bought new in 1987 on the phone from the Isle of Man while drunk in a bar!

This was it outside a bar (surely not) somewhere in deepest darkest France en-route to a company Sports and Social Club coach trip (?) to Pietra Ligure just over the French - Italian border in Italy. The other guy is Warwick who had just stuffed his ex-my Honda CB900 F2C into a roadside petrol pump while trying to avoid a rampant French bus on his side of the road! Note the very bent right hand spot light!!!!

This was the weekend that the south of England got flattened by a mini hurricane. I had bought the bike by telling my bank manager to sell my company shares. He convinced me to hold off as there was going to be a share issue, potentially doubling my stake. He 'lent' me the money to buy it.

By the time I got back to discover my roof and fences gone and the share price having crashed, I couldn't afford new tyres, let alone the bike  :(

He was very embarrassed and I paid no interest on the 'loan' for the next couple of years!!

This is it at the hotel in Italy....

And this, somewhere up the coast in what passed for the storm on the Med....

And this is somewhere north of Cahors on the way home.

Note the two cases of 1982 Haute Serre Cahors wine strapped to my pillion seat  8) There were another 6 bottles secreted about the panniers and crash helmets  :o )

This was it the day I drove it up to its new owner in Lincolnshire in 2013....

Note the mileage....

Go on, admit it, it is just a K1200S 20-odd years ahead of its time! 130 PS, a true top speed of 160 mph and touring comfort beyond belief. My bottom thanked Honda endlessly!

This bike had been languishing in my mate's garage for 24 years (don't ask) as it stubbornly refused to run. A new set of carbs (sound familiar?) for £30 off fleabay and it was as good as new.

The problem with 'new' is that it was still 25 years old, there was only one fork tube left on planet earth (€800 to you sir) from the mad Dutch.

It held its own against my mates new K1300S in a straight line and a few twisty bends. But, when it came to the real man's stuff, it was left wallowing in the BM's wake.

And, the fabulously comfortable ride almost put me in Swindon's new hospital on the way back from a weekend in Wales. I was actually in tears as I re-fuelled at junction 16 of the M4 and had to get off at every junction to massage life back into my 25 year older backside and knees.

Four days later I bought the K1200S.

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
Re: My Honda CBR1000 F-H
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 05:24:22 am »
No comments
Embrace the wind.

Offline tiggerwood

• Like BMW Bikes but not some dealers
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300GT 2010 (109000 miles)
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Wunderlich Air deflectors, top box
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 06:11:58 am »
The rose-tinted spectacles of youth wrenched from the face bythe complaints of an age-stiffened body.

I can remember journeys on my VFR750 using the full tank range (over 200 miles) where I got off feeling as fresh as a daisy.

A similar riding position on my K1 twenty five years later and I'm suffering after 20 miles.
Business  bikes are tax deductable

Offline Timbox

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 06:26:13 am »
The rose-tinted spectacles of youth wrenched from the face bythe complaints of an age-stiffened body.

I can remember journeys on my VFR750 using the full tank range (over 200 miles) where I got off feeling as fresh as a daisy.

A similar riding position on my K1 twenty five years later and I'm suffering after 20 miles.

And as my 58 year old Ex Copper mate Phil has recently found out, a new Fireblade isnt as comfy as it seemed in the showroom ;D ;D ;D
Isnt it Ironic, no its a BMW what dya expect.

Offline tiggerwood

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 06:41:46 am »
With the ageing UK rider profile, I suspect that's why most dealers only allow demonstrators out for short distances...  apart from BMW.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 11:02:31 am »
When I were a lad................ ::) ::) ::)
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline tiggerwood

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 05:42:27 pm »
The good old days were worse!

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 09:03:44 pm »
It isn't rose-tinted anything.

I rode non-stop (apart from a nap under a tree at breakfast time) from Newbury to Antibes in 21 hours before the Tunnel or even the Hovercraft.

Brian (who used to have young bones and even younger reactions)

Offline Perbunan

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2016, 08:07:06 pm »
Don't you think in that fourth pic down the CBR has a very similar profile to a K1300s?

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2016, 11:36:38 pm »
Absolutely and that is why I like love it so  :o