Author Topic: Typical  (Read 8375 times)

Offline joelK_1300R

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Typical
« on: February 23, 2015, 10:36:31 am »
I think I've got a slow puncture, RDC warning this morning showing the rear at 2.4 bar, riding to work it went up to 2.5 and the light went off.

Stopped at two petrol stations on the way only to find the air machines not working....what a Monday!  I'll have to check it at lunch and maybe top up...hopefully it's fixable as I've only done 1000 miles on it!
Currently Riding : BMW K1300S, Suzuki TL1000S
Previously : BMW S1000R, BMW K1300R Dynamic, 2007 R1, 2003 R1, 2002 R6, 2000 CBR600F, 2000 Honda Hornet.... Suzuki TS125, Kawasaki KE100, Kawasaki AR50

Offline TomL

• View Profile
Re: Typical
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 10:41:41 am »
You probably know that the rear should be 2.9 bar.

Not being smug but I never travel without a pump and a Stop&Go tyre plugger. ;)
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline joelK_1300R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 10:43:49 am »
Yeah I figured it was low, must've picked something up on my Sunday ride (lots of shat on the roads) hoping it's slow enough for me to get time to sort it out today/tomorrow/Weds...
Previously : BMW S1000R, BMW K1300R Dynamic, 2007 R1, 2003 R1, 2002 R6, 2000 CBR600F, 2000 Honda Hornet.... Suzuki TS125, Kawasaki KE100, Kawasaki AR50

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 11:04:11 am »
Amazing how often a new tyre will pick up a nail and of course old tyres are that thin that they puncture real easy.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Online Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 11:26:39 am »
Well, having been in the deep-freeze since before Xmas, my pressures will be low on account of the cold.

I wonder how many drivers bother to take seasonal temp changes into account with their tyres.

It was amazing to see how mine changed on the trip over the Alps and then down to the Adriatic and finally into a very warm Athens. And, of course, having dropped them gradually I then had to top them back up again a couple of times on the journey back home.

Is it true that the BMW system gives the pressures factored back to what they would be at 20deg C ?

Brian (whose after-market TPMS gives the 'real' pressures but he isn't sure it is accurate!  ??? )

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 11:38:01 am »
Would be interesting watching the pressure changes going over the Alps. Mind you I suppose that you have to go into space to register an increase of 14lb.

Always annoying when we flew with our bikes and the baggage handlers would let our tyres down if we didn't. BA had decided that it was no longer necessary but they didn't tell the handlers. The worst were at Figari in Corsica where they removed the valves altogether and threw them away.

Online Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 11:47:41 am »
It was the cold that dropped the pressures although I think the pressure drop is about 2psi per 1,000 metres altitude (to mix units up totally). The cold and the altitude really get the little air molecules slowing down.

Brian (who hates tyre pressures and wish someone would invent something else ::) )

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 11:50:15 am »
Would you like to learn the effect of a tarmac at 85 degrees Celsius?
Embrace the wind.

Offline bobtail

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S (05) departed but well loved! Now R1200RS I am now a Boxerboy.
  • Modifications and add-ons:: I had no bling on my K12 and was proud of it! And it never, ever let me down, honest! And it still had the o.e. battery going strong, honest!
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 01:07:45 pm »
It was the cold that dropped the pressures although I think the pressure drop is about 2psi per 1,000 metres altitude (to mix units up totally). The cold and the altitude really get the little air molecules slowing down.

Brian (who hates tyre pressures and wish someone would invent something else ::) )

I think they did Brian early on when vehicles were first invented........solid rubber tyres methinks.

Bob
Are we there yet? I said ARE WE THERE YET? I SAID ARE WE THERE YET?!!

Online Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2015, 01:38:25 pm »
 :D ;D :D ;D ;D

Brian (who's gotta himself some of them)

Offline joelK_1300R

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2015, 02:08:21 pm »
Turns out (after closer inspection) that I have a screw in my rear (ooer)

Right in the centre.  Nice.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2015, 02:35:11 pm »
In the centre is good. Nice and easy to plug. Get one of these kits and you don't even have to take the tyre off.

http://www.mandp.co.uk/productinfo/554658/Tyres/Puncture-Repair-and-Prevention/Stop-and-Go

Get yourself a 12v tyre inflater and you are then totally independent. BTW you can't run the inflater off the plug in socket on the bike because the can bus will shut it down because it draws too much current. Connect direct to the battery and leave the engine running while the inflater is working.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Slime-40001-Motorcycle-Tire-Inflator/dp/B000ET9SB4   

Offline bobtail

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S (05) departed but well loved! Now R1200RS I am now a Boxerboy.
  • Modifications and add-ons:: I had no bling on my K12 and was proud of it! And it never, ever let me down, honest! And it still had the o.e. battery going strong, honest!
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2015, 03:42:30 pm »
Yep the puncture repair kits are good. I repaired a mates once and he ran the rear with the roadside repair until he needed a new tyre. Personally I wouldn't do that just use it as a get you home and then get to the tyre shop asap. And if the puncture is too close to the sidewall then you really are stuffed and it's then a case of Mr AA man.
But yes they do work but keep checking the kit periodically as the rubber solution can go off and if it does then you can't repair the puncture properly.

Bob
Are we there yet? I said ARE WE THERE YET? I SAID ARE WE THERE YET?!!

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2015, 05:17:13 pm »
Ah, but that is the beauty of the Stop & Go repairs. They don't use any adhesive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKCsh6jST_U

I've repaired with Stop & Go and then continued for a few thousand miles until the tyre was worn out.

Offline Snowy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1100RS
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2015, 07:25:49 pm »
I have a stop n'go plug kit and slime compressor fitted to both of my bikes and I've used them on my own and friends bikes with good success. Once had a slit in my rear (if you know what I mean!) and used three plugs next to each which although leaked slightly allowed me to get the 50 miles home. I replaced that tyre but on others I've ran them to they need replacing. On my GSA I've also swapped the power socket so its a powerlet one running via a fusebox under the seat so there's no canbus limits.   
K1100RS & R1200GSA & CB900FA