Author Topic: 2013 K1300s Franchised Dealer Service Costs (I'm sitting down already)?  (Read 16016 times)

Andym535

Re: 2013 K1300s Franchised Dealer Service Costs (I'm sitting down already)?
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2018, 07:00:07 pm »
If it's done 16k miles then it's almost due the valve check (18k) and plug change too unless you're going to leave that for another year?

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
  • My K bike model:: K1300s 2009
  • Modifications and add-ons:: rear splash guard, Sargent seat and pod, 35mm bar risers
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2018, 07:43:45 pm »
Costas, where are you when you are needed

Didn't Costas tell us the oil is developed in one country and then sent on to another eventually ending up in Greece for the final configuration, or something like that?
I also understand that the new oil with additives was developed to cope with the needs of the clutch, so BMW make us pay for it by buying their special oil rather than them fixing it properly and using the cheaper Castrol oil.
According to the I-BMW.com forum the Americans use all makes of oils in their K's.
I wonder if there was a clutch issue on a bike with a warranty and it was found the bike wasn't running on their special oil, would they deal with the matter?
My handbook recommends Castrol as it is a 2009 model. 
I wonder what oil/oils the latest K's recommend?
Had the K13 ceased production when this new oil was introduced?
So many question and so much confusion.

Its not always the destination that counts its the ride, having a destination just stops you going round in circles.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2018, 08:56:19 pm »
BMW don't actually make oil do they, surely? Castrol are the masters of the art IMHO and I refuse thus far, to use anything else.
TB.

Firstly, refuse at your peril...but be stubborn if you wish.

BMW doesn't make much at all, certainly not oil. In this they are no different from most other 'makers'!

What they do do, is design, develop amd specify.

Their specification for the engine oil for the K12/3 was put out for tender, like most things; brakes, seals, bearings etc.

Whoever gets the contract to manufacture is bound by the T's&C's of the BMW contract which means that it can't be made, marketed or sold to or by anyone else.

BMW, like most makers, change suppliers from time to time. The old supplier knows everythimg about the product now being made by someone else but can't do anything about it.

So, Brembo discs and pads are made by Brembo (obviously  ::) ) but to BMW's specification. Buy the ordinary ones from Brembo and you might not notice the difference. Others in here most certainly can.

For the sake of the cost of a couple of tanks of fuel you can chance your clutch.

Me, I don't gamble.

PS I have no idea why you think Castrol are more the masters of the art of oil synthesis than any other major manufacturer. I understand your prejudice, the Duckhams oil mayonnaise in the '60's and '70's put me off their oils for life, but virtually all shelf oils are the same, spec for spec.

In respect of the oil for the K, it is the spec. that is different.

I hear all that, but you've said that all oils are the same in that they're all the same specification and then you go onto say that the spec' of the motor oil for the K is somehow, different?

Well yes different it may be but the Castrol product is actually made by Castrol which is a product that when used in the engines of previous bikes performs better than other similar specced oils. Example in point is that when a Kawasaki dealer serviced a Kwak I used to own they used Fuchs oil or something similar which was no doubt within the specified limits for the bike, but when I serviced it myself the next time and used Castrol Power 1 Racing the gearchange was noticably smoother and the bike ran better.

I've also came across this which shows that the Castrol oil was co-engineered with BMW.

https://goo.gl/cuvuoG

I'm not dissing what you're saying, I'm just not convinced that the rebadged BMW oil is any better than Castrol, a brand which I have years of experience of and confidence in.

Best regards.

John.

Thanks to Richard for quoting me correctly  ;D

You clearly do not hear what I say.

I don't understand what it is that you don't understand about 'specification'. The BMW 'specified' oil can't be bought in Halfords or anywhere else that isn't a BMW dealer so isn't available off the shelf. (By comparison, VW spec. oil for their diesels IS available off the shelf in Halfords etc. but is different, according to the spec. on the can, from other oils by the same maker.)

Castrol is a chemist as are all other oil companies. If you go to Castrol and ask them nicely they will make a litre or a million to your specification. Simples! That is what BMW did and the result was the oil the dealers sell.

You, I can guarantee, you have never put a drop of the BMW 'specification' Castrol (or Shell) oil in any other bike you have serviced, unless you bought it from a BMW dealer. And unless you have had a string of K bikes then you haven't been putting Castrol 'ordinaire' in bikes with the K clutch.

If you think the BMW oil is a re-badge, stick it in your engine and spend the money you save on a couple of bottles of cheap'ish plonk, it sure won't go far if you put it towards a new clutch.

The 'damp' clutch on the K is neither a dry clutch nor a wet clutch; it was designed as a wet clutch but gets way too little lubrication to be so called, really only getting any oil fed to it when the clutch lever is in. The wear and squeal and judder suffered by many are testament to the fact that it is a dog's breakfast and that is with the correct oil in there.

It seems you have made your mind up and that's fine, but then, why ask for advice. Like I said, you pays your money and takes your risk. Go with the ordinary castrol and ignore all the advice.

As for the manual, mine (for my 2012 bike which was lost by original owner and the replacement, which is dated 08.2014, 6th edition, 01) 'recommends' Advantec. As to a warranty claim, I think they would have a hard time chucking one out for not using the BM oil as long as 'good stuff' had been put in, not the stuff from the girl down the chippy.

Offline TurboBevy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S 30TH ANNI
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2018, 09:03:22 pm »
If it's done 16k miles then it's almost due the valve check (18k) and plug change too unless you're going to leave that for another year?

Is the correct answer. WCPGW?
In the name of God, please let me die in peace! Voltaire...

Offline TurboBevy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2018, 09:10:56 pm »
I hear all that, but you've said that all oils are the same in that they're all the same specification and then you go onto say that the spec' of the motor oil for the K is somehow, different?

I've also came across this which shows that the Castrol oil was co-engineered with BMW.

https://goo.gl/cuvuoG

John.

I think Brian was saying 'all shelf oils are the same', as in common or garden oil of the correct viscosity.

However, Castrol was recommended until maybe 1 or 2 years ago.
Someone will be along in a minute to explain why the newer BMW oil is better than Castrol. For the clutch, I suspect...

As my bike is a 2013 model and hasn't materially changed much if at all since 2009, I suspect that's up-to-date enough.   ???

My 2002 Honda VFR has 70,000+ miles on the orginal clutch thanks to Castrol oil and myself & the other previous owner having some mechanical sympathy. This BMW should be no different.

Andym535

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2018, 09:26:42 pm »
Whoever gets the contract to manufacture is bound by the T's&C's of the BMW contract which means that it can't be made, marketed or sold to or by anyone else.

I'm not certain, but I suspect, that's illegal under the EU block exemption rules unless they don't apply to bikes. BMW must provide the spec to anyone who wants to make a 'BMW Spec' oil (like Halfords do for the VW, BMW, etc car oils) for a reasonable cost. It's probably the case that the relatively  low volume makes it not worthwhile for other oil companies to do it though.

Andym535

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2018, 10:04:36 pm »

In my experience BMW engines are a lot more fragile and expensive to fix than their glossy adverts would have you believe. WCPGW... quite a lot! On the other hand, don’t expect much goodwill from BMW if it does break out of warranty, even if it has been fully main dealer serviced.

Offline TurboBevy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2018, 10:58:18 pm »

In my experience BMW engines are a lot more fragile and expensive to fix than their glossy adverts would have you believe. WCPGW... quite a lot! On the other hand, don’t expect much goodwill from BMW if it does break out of warranty, even if it has been fully main dealer serviced.

Okay I hear that too. Think my plan is go independent with this year's service and sell my first born in time for the BIG service next year - or - just chuck the bike back and walk away.  ;D

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2018, 11:09:35 pm »
I think you'll find that the market for first borns has collapsed since the big crash of 2008   ;D

Selling a kidney and half of your liver might be better. And a lung if they actually need to change the shims... 8)

Offline TurboBevy

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2018, 06:12:55 pm »
I think you'll find that the market for first borns has collapsed since the big crash of 2008   ;D

Selling a kidney and half of your liver might be better. And a lung if they actually need to change the shims... 8)

That's my life, mate....

About the 18k service. I did push the salesman on the fact that I knew fine well that was looming in the near distance and how much would that cost, the BIG service?

He went all coy on me and said well, John, the bike has just been serviced and we even changed the brake fluid and you have your 24month copper bottomed BMW warranty - let's not worry about that for now. Just sign here..... YKIMS.

I then haggled a further £100 off the price of the K and a free T-shirt and the deal was done. So musn't grumble. I certainly don't regret buying the bike it's a missile and I LOVE IT!  8)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 06:20:53 pm by raesewell »

Offline TurboBevy

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2018, 06:23:25 pm »
I'm actually going to email the dealer contact who still hasn't called me back and ask them to quote me happy on this interim service and depending on the great deal they can do me I'll bear that in mind for the BIG service early next year when it will actually prolly be slightly overdue and they'll also have the cherry on top of fitting my new PR5s at the same time and also retain my custom, maybe? I'm also going to request that Castrol oil is used just to be ***t.

My wife's brilliant! Suzuki VeeStrom 650cc V-twin will go to Bloys (enthusiastic independent motorcycle shop) for a service as it's out of warranty now and I trust them more that I trust the local(ish) Suzuki dealer who gave it back to her after a full service and recall work and new dealer supplied rear tyre with the chain tension like a - bungie rope - as my late pal Dave would have said. The dangers of main dealer servicing! I had to correct it - many brownie points banked!

They then charged her for her first MOT, when the bike came from them spilt new with a free MOT for life! I complained and they refunded her the same day. Very sorry Mr G, don't hate us....

More on this story next week.

Turbobevy.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 06:28:02 pm by TurboBevy »

Andym535

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2018, 07:43:11 pm »
'Sales' and 'Service' are almost like two separate companies at most dealerships, so I think all the Sales guy is likely to do is forward your email to the Service Manager. Unless you're happy to just go with the 2/3 year PCP deals that Sales will want to flog you, you need a dealer with a good Service Manager who's interested in keeping your bike running properly for years. Turn up with enough to buy a bike outright, without one of their finance schemes and consequently no interest in the monthly payment and Sales don't know what to do with you. Sales love the sort who are on their 5th or 6th GS, not those that keep the same bike forever.

Offline TurboBevy

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2018, 09:21:23 pm »
'Sales' and 'Service' are almost like two separate companies at most dealerships, so I think all the Sales guy is likely to do is forward your email to the Service Manager. Unless you're happy to just go with the 2/3 year PCP deals that Sales will want to flog you, you need a dealer with a good Service Manager who's interested in keeping your bike running properly for years. Turn up with enough to buy a bike outright, without one of their finance schemes and consequently no interest in the monthly payment and Sales don't know what to do with you. Sales love the sort who are on their 5th or 6th GS, not those that keep the same bike forever.

This just pushes me back to my first instinct of visiting my local enthusiast motorcycle shop who're only interested in keeping my bike running properly for years! I don't need a service manager, I need a competent motorcycle mechanic and correct parts.

5th or 6th GS does not apply!

Offline TurboBevy

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2018, 09:01:22 am »
Email sent to dealer asking them to quote me happy and also requesting the use of Castrol 5w-40 Power 1.  ???

Offline TurboBevy

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2018, 03:31:37 pm »
Here's the oil data from the Horses mouth.