Author Topic: Raw Spirit  (Read 2262 times)

Offline Paul C

• Global Moderator
  • ...ooh, why not?
    • View Profile
Raw Spirit
« on: February 14, 2015, 12:24:19 pm »
Raw Spirit by Iain Banks is a good read for the road aware whiskey lover. Not only do we get an often humorous trip around Scottish Distilleries he also enjoys driving and riding so many "Great Wee Roads" are detailed too.
I recently re-read this as "research" for a distillery tour I am planning to do with an old friend later this year (all being well as he's just had an op' on his thumb).
GSA, CCM GP450, Moto Guzzi Lemans II. Once had a K1200GT

Offline ddtrash

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Akrapovic exhaust, Wunderlich Levers, HID lights
Re: Raw Spirit
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 01:58:39 am »
Paul

it is indeed a good read, though I think Mr Banks must have been sponsored by Glenfiddich judging by his end choice for favourite dram.  ( Be warned book spoiler alert )  While I have tried and enjoyed the Glenfidich rum cask finish there are ( IMHO ) better ones out there.  Funnily enough one of the rum cask finishes I prefer is the Balvennie 14 YO Cuban Selection, Balvennie being the sister company of Glenfiddich.

For your tour, some suggested stops:

Glendronach:  Lovely distillery, very good sherry cask matured whiskies.  One of the better tours I have been on.

Edradour:  Small but worth a visit.  The shop for me was the highlight as the owner of Edradour also own Signatory, the independant bottling company.  There was a large selection of Signatory offerings for sale.

Ardbeg:  This was my favourite distillery visit while looking round Islay.  All the Islay distilleries are great to visit but for me Ardbeg just came out on top.  Lovely setting and buildings, cafe was fantastic too. 

Glengoyne:   This is a good choice as it is relatively close to Glasgow and handily placed for a stop on your outbound or return journey from the fantastic West Coast roads and scenery.  You can buy a limited release bottle called the teapot dram direct from the distillery shop.  I enjoyed this bottle, dark and rich.

Happy hunting, slainte!

Offline Paul C

• Global Moderator
  • ...ooh, why not?
    • View Profile
Re: Raw Spirit
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 07:47:34 am »
Cheers!
GSA, CCM GP450, Moto Guzzi Lemans II. Once had a K1200GT