Author Topic: Promoting Scotch Whisky globally  (Read 4024 times)

Offline Dusty

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200R Sport; 2007
Promoting Scotch Whisky globally
« on: March 06, 2015, 09:45:41 am »
Some of you may be interested in this: http://liquortolips.com/scotch/4588378699

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
Re: Promoting Scotch Whisky globally
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 10:27:26 am »
Why the hell the have not acquire a PNI (product protected origin) mark under the EU law when others get it easily for cheese and olives so far is beyond my understand. At list for malts from dedicated areas to start.
That would have protect the product and its producers, and then Indian or Japan brands could have to change the name to Visky or something similar but distinctively different from whiskey.
I'm can not be considered a friend of brands commonly sold at any super market, but when I get my hands on a good old malt, its a perfectly good reason for a big celebration.
Embrace the wind.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 11:13:49 am »
Scotch Whisky is protected, Costas; by EU Regulation 110/2008 and the Scotch Whisky Regulations 2009. However, the problem that is being addressed is the alleged fragmentation of the message behind Scotch Whisky marketing. Brands do their own thing without anyone promoting the category properly. Obviously, it's a popular view but not necessarily shared by the marketing people within the industry.

Offline Costas

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 12:05:32 pm »
Not the way I mean protection, for example FETA is a protected name, the regulation you are referring to is protecting only the origin and not the name, that is the deference.
The way this regulation 110-2008, I'm reading now is written lives a hole lot of space for manufactures all over the world to make any liqueur wants and name it Whiskey.
Any way I'm not the best qualified person to support or advocate it, but I do like to enjoy it and it bothers me when more and more I'm presented with a Japan made one, more frequently than a Scottish made. It just doesn't suits my taste. 
Embrace the wind.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 05:16:38 pm »
Ah, I see what you mean, Costas. Scotch Whisky, with those two words in that order, is protected, but, as you say, whisky is not. But, neither is vodka, gin or many other spirits. I don't think it's unreasonable for other countries to make whisky and to call it that. We Scots don't have a monopoly on whisk(e)y and, there is some very good spirit made in Japan, Canada, the USA and, no doubt, elsewhere. I have visited distilleries in Japan and their method, technology and product is in no way inferior to Scotch or other offerings. It is, however, different and I'm delighted to hear that you prefer Scotch Whisky!

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 06:07:31 pm »
I thought that the best single malt whisky was made in Australia.

Tasmania to be precise. 
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 06:50:04 pm »
I've never tasted that, Tom.  However, if it's as good as Australian beer, I must try and find some. ::)

Offline Costas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 06:50:39 pm »
Globalization effect, or is it a good old Scotch effect? :'(
Embrace the wind.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2015, 04:21:16 pm »
I thought that the best single malt whisky was made in Australia.

Tasmania to be precise. 

It featured on 'A Chef Abroad' on't telly this week. Rick Stein visited the distillery on a visit to Tasmania to sample Wallaby bush meat recipes and some other forgettable delicacy.

He is a pleb when it comes to whisk(e)y of any stripe (by his own admission) but was as amazed as the next man when he was told the owner had turned down offers in excess of £20,000 stirling for one of a very few bottles of 15yo left on the premises.

The company won best single malt whiskey in the world award last year.

http://www.worldwhiskiesawards.com/sullivans-cove-french-oak-cask.20337.html

Brian (who thinks Tassy is a long way to go for a tipple at the distillery)

Offline bobtail

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S (05) departed but well loved! Now R1200RS I am now a Boxerboy.
  • Modifications and add-ons:: I had no bling on my K12 and was proud of it! And it never, ever let me down, honest! And it still had the o.e. battery going strong, honest!
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2015, 01:18:07 pm »
Agree, he calls himself a cheffie type person he didn't know or had never seen a 'dragon fruit' before (think this was when he was in Viet Nam)! My local Tesco has been selling them for many moons ::) Maybe he never frequents supermarkets anymore you know with him being a mega celeb type person.

Bob
Are we there yet? I said ARE WE THERE YET? I SAID ARE WE THERE YET?!!