Author Topic: It's still grain: Home brewing  (Read 9780 times)

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
It's still grain: Home brewing
« on: June 26, 2018, 10:03:21 pm »
There's even some beer where they've added whiskey to it apparently.

Anyway.

I used to do a bit of home brewing ale when I lived in the flat, however due to lack of space and incredible new-build insulation I always struggled with controlling the heat.

Now i'm in a house with a garage, and having built a bunch of pallet stuff, I'm making a list of stuff to buy.

My main challenge first of all is to build a fermentation 'chamber', which will include a fridge/freezer to cool, and some heating element, all connected up to a thermostat thingy.

Anybody else into this? I made some nice beers until summer meant 26-28 degree temps in the wort and all sorts of rubbish outcomes.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: It's still grain: Home brewing
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 11:25:10 pm »
Oi  loiks warm beer 🍺

Offline Blobby

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Fuel filler mod
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 07:19:50 am »
Is this your shed

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 09:03:19 pm »
In my farkled dreams  ;D

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 11:03:09 pm »
Building an insulated box or digging a hole is pretty straightforward. People built cold rooms long before we had had all this new fangled refrigeration stiff

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2018, 11:04:24 pm »
Yeah but the ice to cool them had to be lugged all the way from Spitzbergen...

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2018, 09:29:56 am »
Yeah I read somewhere that maybe in Germany, they'd have caves which would be open in winter, and in summer they'd fill an area with ice and close it up. Presumably some natural airflow over the ice to do the cooling.

In any case, with my highly profitable (not profitable at all for the foreseeable future) mining machine living in the garage too, it gets way too warm in there at this time of year.

Now someone bring me their fridge!
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"

Offline Blobby

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2018, 09:47:26 am »
I see on the news this morning there's a CO2 shortage (honestly) The CO2 company (Didn't catch who, maybe BOC) didn't predict the sudden need for it.. Mainly beer i guess

Online raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2018, 09:53:57 am »
It's not just down to demand, there have been some machinery breakdowns and a shortage of ammonia orders. CO2 is a by product of ammonia production. Combined with a hiccough in the raw material supply chain.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2018, 12:52:56 pm »
Another one I read mentioned a couple of large suppliers had shut down for maintenance. Seems unlikely to have such poor timing but who knows, I've seen such hilarious mistakes in my world before.

A chicken murdering factory has also closed due to the shortage. Something about the CO2 being used for the ... murdering? I dunno, maybe they feed the chickens lager.

Online raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2018, 01:17:41 pm »
That's down to Co2 powered bolt guns.

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2018, 02:15:20 pm »
They gas them with CO2. Same for slaughterhouses. I heard a abbatoir in Scotland was having to send pigs elsewhere for the same reasons

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2018, 07:59:44 pm »
Yesterday I went to a Go Ape place. Then I went to dinner and an old work friend said I could have his fermenting bucket and assorted stuff that he's never used. So my budget approach is looking brighter!

And putting that bucket in a bigger bucket full of water is apparently a way to help regulate temp, along with a fish tank heater. I'll share the setup fun when I get round to buying.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2018, 05:52:43 pm »
With the hot weather remaining and my cheap approach to cooling failing to get the temp down, I went and got a chest freezer and a thermostat (Inkbird 308) to control it. I've got a little tubular space heater to add for cooler times, but for now whilst outside is higher than 20C I only need cooling and it isn't fluctuating too much.

First pic illustrates the bucket in the freezer with the thermostat prob thing strapped to the bucket side with some insulation (packing foam stuff).

Second pic shows my wall art. The thermostat shows the prob temp on top and the target below. There's a fancy word for the above and below ranges it's allowed before it turns on/off the cool/heat. It's at 0.5C either side. The little display next to it is the garage temp just so I can see how ridiculous it gets in there. The rest is a raspberry pi with camera which is hanging from an LED bar thing I made. That lot was on the 3D printer, but for now it's providing the ability for me to keep an eye on the temperature without having to go into the garage :).

Anyway now it gets to do its thing for about 14 days, hopefully getting from 1044 starting gravity to 1014 or 1012, which translates to around 4%. When it's finished fermenting I've a bunch of bottles and a couple of growlers to throw it all in.

Oh yeah, it's an imperial stout! Or it will be. That also means low carbonation if I'm going to be traditional - which I am.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 05:56:32 pm by Matt »

Offline Blobby

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2018, 07:37:01 am »
I'm impressed with your commitment Matt..
When i was younger i used to home brew making bitters etc..