Author Topic: Is it just me...?  (Read 2581 times)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Is it just me...?
« on: September 05, 2018, 09:33:46 pm »
I've just spent an hour ranting and raving at the haunted fish tank in the corner.

This is not unusual, it happens almost every time I turn the bloody thing on, which is why I don't do it very often.

My DVR had recorded 'Horizon: The dawn of the driverless car.'

I sat as passively as I would have to do in a driverless car and drank in all the guff the experts were spewing out.

Every single 'expert' or 'designer' started with the premise that people are not good at driving and are dying in their millions as a result.

The 'experts' decided that they should therefore spend billions of dollars not on making drivers better at driving (cos that would only cost millions of dollars after all), but rather on eliminating the driver from the car control equation.

What the fuck?

What the fuck happened to the generation of folks who loved learning to drive and then learned to love driving?

I absolutely love driving my car, riding my bike, even riding my push-bike, on wide open roads at the dead of night; on traffic clogged roads during the rush hour; on motorways; on my favourite twisty stuff; on roads I have never been on before.

The premise is that 'everyone' 'wants' to be driven by a machine. Now, call me Shirley and slap me sideways, but isn't that what 'public transport' was supposed to do. For way less than the development costs of driverless cars we could have a public transport system that worked. Everywhere!

I was screaming at the bloody screen 'What about those of us who enjoy driving!'.

Not one mention was made about the ability of a driverless car to 'overtake'. I have a feeling that 'overtaking' will be outlawed. 'Why are you in a hurry?'. Thankfully, none of this nonsense is going to bother me as it isn't going to happen in sleepy Herefordshire any time soon. After all, almost every other road user around here is on auto-pilot anyway...

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
Re: Is it just me...?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 09:51:59 pm »
The premise is that 'everyone' 'wants' to be driven by a machine. Now, ... isn't that what 'public transport' was supposed to do. ...

LOL  8)
There are I0 kinds of people : those who can count in binary, and those who can't...

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: Is it just me...?
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 08:07:00 am »

Not one mention was made about the ability of a driverless car to 'overtake'. I have a feeling that 'overtaking' will be outlawed.

"Ah, that's an optional extra, sir. It's included in the Sport Pack.
Don't forget to register your Sport Pack here."
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 12:43:09 pm by richtea »