Author Topic: Decisions decisions...  (Read 7861 times)

Offline OxMan

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Just sold my K1300R Dynamic in Racing Red (The fastest colour) - and taken delivery of my Guzzi.
  • Modifications and add-ons:: It's a TT Travel : with panniers; high screen; heated grips; cruise; low comfort seat; top box (!); centre stand; Ohlins; Akra sports can; engine bars; extra front fogs; Caponord mudguard/extended...
Decisions decisions...
« on: August 18, 2019, 09:49:07 am »
...back after enforced absence and with permission to bike...

Question is what to buy...

The easy choice is a 13S - would prefer the R but can’t afford one... would prefer belt/shaft drive and a weight not more than the S... am ogling a couple of Moto Guzzi... even a Ducati ST4S (yes, chain drive i know...)

I know a few of you have converted to Kwakas but they’re too heavy for me, I’m not dead yet so no Deauville or Pan European for me... hmmmm...

Interested to hear your thoughts gang, and glad to be back...
Late emerging biker - took the first bike plunge at 50 with a 12GT : swapped for a 13S 9 months in... then got my mitts on a lovely 2014 13R Dynamic in rrrrrracing rrrrred! Then the COVID came along... so I upped it to France and bought a V85TT... O Sole Mio etc etc!

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: Decisions decisions...
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 01:01:59 pm »
Welcome (back) to the Madhouse that is EuroKClub!

Now then, your enforced absence has obviously addled your brain; how can the easy choice be a K13S (intercontinental ballistic cruise missile) and one of your options be a Moto Guzzi (barely refined agricultural vehicle of dubious purpose)?

That's like asking for advice about whether to eat an apple or murder your entire family... :-\

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 02:11:02 pm »
If you're on here asking which bike to buy then I suggest you're mind is already made up and you're just looking to reinforce that decision. None of the other bikes listed get anywhere near the K1300S. It's not just the best of the bunch listed but the second best "do everything" bike ever. Your decision is reinforced!!! ;)

So, what would be the ideal colour for your new K1300S? :D
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

gibbo

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 03:44:26 pm »
First thing we'd need to know would be what is your budget for this dream bike and what kg your comfortable with then it's just a matter of whittling it down.  ;)

Offline OxMan

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Just sold my K1300R Dynamic in Racing Red (The fastest colour) - and taken delivery of my Guzzi.
  • Modifications and add-ons:: It's a TT Travel : with panniers; high screen; heated grips; cruise; low comfort seat; top box (!); centre stand; Ohlins; Akra sports can; engine bars; extra front fogs; Caponord mudguard/extended...
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2019, 03:53:08 pm »
First thing we'd need to know would be what is your budget for this dream bike and what kg your comfortable with then it's just a matter of whittling it down.  ;)

True enough... probably up to £5k : weight wise a 13S is as heavy as I would want... i did drop my last one once for no particularly good reason I can remember (think I was over cautious pulling away with the good lady on board... that’s not happening again... 😬)

Would prefer the R but their prices seem to be going up! (Could always nip over and nick Blobby’s I s’pose - he never rides his!)
Late emerging biker - took the first bike plunge at 50 with a 12GT : swapped for a 13S 9 months in... then got my mitts on a lovely 2014 13R Dynamic in rrrrrracing rrrrred! Then the COVID came along... so I upped it to France and bought a V85TT... O Sole Mio etc etc!

gibbo

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2019, 04:05:30 pm »
Here's a few weight stats to ponder Owen all in kerb/wet weight of course.

K1300S 258 KG

K1300R 243 KG

ZZR1400 264 KG

H2 SX 256 KG

Z1000SX 235 KG (This could be the one!)

Moto Guzzi Norge 257 KG

Just general examples of course, not that I'm Kwacker biased.  :)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 04:09:48 pm by gibbo »

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2019, 04:22:31 pm »

K1300S 258 KG

K1300R 243 KG

ZZR1400 264 KG

H2 SX 256 KG

Moto Guzzi Norge 257 KG

It's not just the weight that needs to be considered but how that weight is carried. My H2 SX feels substantially lighter than my K1300S yet there's bugger all in the actual numbers.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Blobby

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Fuel filler mod
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2019, 04:54:56 pm »

True enough... probably up to £5k : weight wise a 13S is as heavy as I would want... i did drop my last one once for no particularly good reason I can remember (think I was over cautious pulling away with the good lady on board... that’s not happening again... 😬)

Would prefer the R but their prices seem to be going up! (Could always nip over and nick Blobby’s I s’pose - he never rides his!)

Nice try  ;)
I just got back from me holidays and aim for another trip to London next weekend minus another new tyre bill of course, so that'll be the 3rd time this year..

Ooo I better calm down, I don't wanna be known as a hardened all year biker.. I did that for 30 years commuting to East London in all weathers, them days are very much over.
I was going to take it out today but looking at the sky there's a cloud floating over Ireland that could be threatening to head East  :D

Offline OxMan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2019, 06:14:16 pm »
Hmmmm... I guess the question is : how much of a pain are chains...? I don’t have much time or talent for maintenance, hence the preference for shaft/belt...

gibbo

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2019, 08:49:32 am »

K1300S 258 KG

K1300R 243 KG

ZZR1400 264 KG

H2 SX 256 KG

Moto Guzzi Norge 257 KG

It's not just the weight that needs to be considered but how that weight is carried. My H2 SX feels substantially lighter than my K1300S yet there's bugger all in the actual numbers.

Never a truer word spoken David. When I met with my friend up at the Broadway Tower a couple of weeks back, he turned up on his Goldwing. An absolute massive bike! I sat on it and it was like reclining on a Parker Knoll, however though, it was relatively easy to get  it off the side stand which really surprised me. All the weight seemed to be at the lower levels. He also owns a Pan and a K1200GT and he states the Goldwing is by far the easiest to move about and control whilst riding.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 09:16:38 am by gibbo »

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2019, 01:11:01 pm »
I wonder why there is so much emphasis on weight. Power to weight ratio I can understand, but raw weight?

I can't even lift my 155Kg Honda without a) getting a hernia or b) calling my breakdown service (on a dirt track...).

The very thought of even thinking about lifting the K brings beads of sweat to my trousers.

Your comments about the Gold Thing prove the point amply.

Logic rarely comes into bike-buying decisions (David being one among very few who did the logic job properly) and if it is a 'fun' bike rather than a 'fun-commute-holiday-scratch-shopping' bike then buy the funniest bike you can afford  8)

Offline OxMan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2019, 05:31:43 pm »
Oh i have missed you lot... the weight thing is just about making sure I can manage the buggah and not keep dropping it... reliability the only other thing I forgot... so.. of those bikes listed above... how do they do for reliability.. (ducks!)  >:(

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2019, 06:24:45 pm »
Dropping it is a matter of experience (or rather inexperience) rather than weight.

The K13 is one of only a few bikes I haven't dropped (shouldn't have said that)...

Every time I've dropped a bike it is because of stupidity rather than weight and in the same circumstances even a step-through would probably have gone down. Almost every drop has been at a standstill or walking pace at most and this is the time that the bike and gravity (i.e. the bike's 'weight') always conspire against you.

I can't shove the K around a) like I used to when I were younger and b) like a lot of other riders do.

Hell, I can't even shove the little Honda around that much. How the hell Phillipe pushed his dead and fully loaded K13 at a running pace (that I couldn't manage in just my gear) for almost 2 hundred yards on a pavement on the Wrinklies two years ago I will never fathom.

The difference between dropping a K and dropping something 20Kgs lighter is almost negligible (unless you are underneath it at the time) and amounts to no more than a tank of fuel, so a lighter bike with a full tank etc. etc.

Online Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2019, 11:21:43 pm »
I'd say seat height is more of a consideration than weight. A jidiot f800gs thing probably weighs less but I'm tippy toes with half my bum off the seat so I assume I'd drop it eight times a week.

I've dropped my k on a hill and managed to pick it up. It's all about getting as much lower back damage as possible I think.

"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline OxMan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2019, 09:05:44 am »
Hmmmm.. dark side calling... anyone tried an R1200R...?