Author Topic: Fitting K1300S mirrors on a GT?  (Read 534 times)

Offline GlynH

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2010 K1300GT EE
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Touratech heated seats
Fitting K1300S mirrors on a GT?
« on: January 12, 2024, 01:33:24 pm »
I've been thinking...and I'll warn you all now that could be a very dangerous thing...about the possibility of replacing the mirrors on my K1300GT with those from the S what with its fancy indicators and all and wondering whether they would fit?

I don't know what the S mounts look like and whether they might be a straight swap for the existing GT ones and I would probably have to drill a hole to get the cabling through before finding a neat & proper way to connect to the existing harness so am asking here if anybody might have any idea of whether they would fit or not?

TBH I'm not even sure if I will like the different shape or not as its just an idea swirling around in the cesspool that is my mind at the moment so maybe I should take a closer look at an S first to decide if;

a) I like the look of them
b) If the view compares favourably with the existing ones
c) Do they use the same mounting & swivel arrangement

But I thought I'd ask here first anyway...

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
Re: Fitting K1300S mirrors on a GT?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2024, 01:48:28 pm »
A very quick look suggests that the angle of the fairing where the mirrors mount is different enough that the K1300S mirrors will point in a very strange direction without a custom mounting plate between the fairing and the mirror. A nice idea but I think it would be a lot of work to get something usable.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2024, 02:28:29 pm by black-k1 »
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline GlynH

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2024, 01:55:08 pm »
Thanks for the quick reply BK1.

I hadn't got quite as far as considering the angle of the fairing...only as far as the mirror mounting points!

But I'm not looking to make work for myself so I'll shelve that idea in its infancy then.

Guess I'll just have to console myself with a pair of those illuminated 70mm emblems I've been threatening to buy for ages now.

Probably be a bit much what with indicators, emblems & mirrors flashing my intention to turn although can't have enough visibility I suppose.

-=Glyn=-

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2024, 04:53:19 pm »
And to add to the complications, the S mirrors are not adjustable as a unit. The glass inside the shell moves a little, just like a car system, to adjust the view but the mounting arm and shell are fixed. Nice idea though...

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2024, 07:19:32 pm »
And just to irritate Glyn, the K1300S mirrors were a revelation getting off an Aprilia onto a K.
They are by far the best I've used - stable, nearly completely vibe-free, and I can see past my wide elbows. And the adjustment is good.

Offline GlynH

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2024, 01:04:37 pm »
Ah well it was a nice thought while it lasted!

Oh and Rich thanks for letting me know in detail just what I am missing.

I can only hope you don't go out to ride your steed one day and some thug from just down the road has smashed your mirrors... :P

Actually my mirrors are one of the best ones I have had. Stable, nearly completely vibe-free, good rear vision unlike my Thunderace where all I could see was my elbows and good adjustment.

I can also fold them back when I need to squeeze past in the garage.

Still be good to have indicators in them though although with clear lenses instead of orange...

-=Glyn=-

Offline nealchaykin

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2012 K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Heed crash bars, Givi top case, classic windscreen with Laminar Lip, gel seat, carbon everywhere
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2024, 02:21:21 am »
Vibration free? Wow, if only they made them for the “R” model.
Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world.