Author Topic: Air Hawk (style) seat pads K1300S  (Read 3568 times)

Offline andym2

• View Profile
  • Location:: Stratford on Avon (District, the town is 'Upon' )
Air Hawk (style) seat pads K1300S
« on: February 05, 2022, 08:19:20 pm »
Maybe I'm getting old, but I'm increasingly finding the K13S seat to footpeg distance too short to be comfy for longer rides. Rather than trying to lower the pegs and sort out the brake and gear linkages I wondered if just getting a seat pad would help.

So questions...

- Does and Air hawk type seat pad increase the seat height at all, or does it just compress to virtually nothing when you sit on it?

- Which size fits on the K13S seat? The Air Hawk website lists a 'DS' (Dual Sport?) which they no longer seem to make.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Re: Air Hawk (style) seat pads K1300S
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2022, 08:24:43 pm »
The air cushions are supposed to be used with minimal air to avoid wobbling around on the seat. Your best bet would be to get the seat re-worked with extra foam. I could make a recommendation but as you don't have you location in your profile I don't know if it would be any good to you.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2022, 08:26:14 pm by raesewell »

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2022, 10:03:04 pm »
I have a custom-made K1300S seat with around 0.5" extra height. You're welcome to try it / buy it:

https://eurokclub.bike/index.php?topic=3081.msg37065#msg37065

Made by:
http://www.cmseats.co.uk/

Offline andym2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2022, 11:51:32 pm »
The air cushions are supposed to be used with minimal air to avoid wobbling around on the seat. Your best bet would be to get the seat re-worked with extra foam. I could make a recommendation but as you don't have you location in your profile I don't know if it would be any good to you.

Sort of here .... ///online.speedy.incensed

Offline andym2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2022, 11:53:28 pm »
I have a custom-made K1300S seat with around 0.5" extra height. You're welcome to try it / buy it:

https://eurokclub.bike/index.php?topic=3081.msg37065#msg37065

Made by:
http://www.cmseats.co.uk/

I'd be interested in at least trying that sometime, Richard. Why are you selling it? Surely you're not still growing?

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2022, 08:48:35 am »

Hahah on the forum where image uploading is a challenge, you are doing MI5 level encryption there :p. Also, I hope you aren't sleeping on the driveway at this time of year! I go past your place on my way to visit the mother. And you ain't far from our Richard neither.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2022, 09:07:39 am »

Why not just put Ettington in your profile. So my Guy in York will be too far for you.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2022, 10:45:52 am »
I'd be interested in at least trying that sometime, Richard. Why are you selling it? Surely you're not still growing?

Shrinking, more like. What with some weight loss and slightly better joints than previous years, I've come to the conclusion that a lower seat is just fine, as long as it's not the standard BMW one.

You're welcome to give it a spin.

At risk of losing a sale, you're also welcome to try the other two seats I have!

I'll send you my contact details.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2022, 03:40:39 pm »
I have the Airhawk Cruiser Custom which fits 'most things'...

By definition, the Airhawk keeps your bum from touching the seat foam, but only just. As Rae says, minimal air. I find three puffs is enuff. And I mean gentle puffs, not three lungs full...

An extra 1/2" can be gained by using some of those wooden bead thingies beloved of driving instructors and Spanish taxi drivers but be it on your own butt!

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
  • My K bike model:: K1300s 2009
  • Modifications and add-ons:: rear splash guard, Sargent seat and pod, 35mm bar risers
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2022, 12:01:59 pm »
Those bead things are supposed to be good although I've on seen one on a motorcycle.
If you think about it you get air circulation and water should just flow between the beads and not around your bum, plus getting a bit of a bum massage.
Wonder why more aren't seen.
Its not always the destination that counts its the ride, having a destination just stops you going round in circles.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2022, 12:36:52 pm »
Those bead things are supposed to be good although I've on seen one on a motorcycle.
If you think about it you get air circulation and water should just flow between the beads and not around your bum, plus getting a bit of a bum massage.
Wonder why more aren't seen.

Interesting point. You can get all three advantages (lots of air, no water and a massage) from a CoolCover - or so they claim:
https://www.coolcovers.co.uk/products/motorcycle-seat-covers/

With the bonus that your bike doesn't look like it came from a Starsky & Hutch episode.
You don't get much of a height increase though, I suspect.

Has anyone tried one?

[Brian, you can walk down there and check them out!  ::)]

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2022, 01:23:51 pm »
They must be next to Screwfix! They obviously don't have much in the way of street presence as I was there yesterday...

Got to book the car in for its MoT opposite so will check them out.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2022, 03:42:32 pm »
With 5 of the 6 bikes all have aftermarket or some alteration on seat height, blimey I could right a book..at the risk of pointing the obvious out you need to have some idea of exactly what you want..hello mr i’m Not happy with the stock seat isn’t helpful...

My front runner would be Tony Archer, but their are plenty of others, over the years i’ve Gone from buying aftermarket seats(Kehedo) on my K sport, to just keep’t buying and selling...altered seats for my X/R 1000 till the Eureka moment ‘Just what’ve i’ve Been looking for’

The cheap option is to take up the offer of the slighter higher seat to give you some idea of where you are going or what you want.

Offline NIBS

• Bubble up rubber down
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R & K1300S (both 2012)
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Ilmberger this and AC Schnitzer that.
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2022, 03:54:26 pm »
Toughen up those buttocks. Try some heavy squats.  ::)
Prevoius bikes:-Ducati Scrambler 800 Urban Enduro, Aprilia Tuono Factory V41100, VFR800 Fi, K1300S, K1300R, YAMAHA MT10 sp, K1300R, K1200R, GSX1300 Hayabusa GEN1, GSXR1000k3, GSXR750Y2K, YAMAHA EXUP RU,NC30-VFR 400, GSXR600WW, XL600R, Z1B, GPZ1100B1, GPZ900R, GS550, Z1B, Z1A, GT380, GT185, FS1E.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2022, 05:16:07 pm »
They must be next to Screwfix! They obviously don't have much in the way of street presence as I was there yesterday...

Got to book the car in for its MoT opposite so will check them out.

MoT successfully booked and so popped over the road to Cool Covers for a quick chat with John Small, the owner of the business. The business has been going for over four years and it turns out they have been located at their current site for the last 3 ½ years and make all their own covers on site here in deepest, darkest Ledbury. Who knew?

John was still recovering from the Motor Show, having just got back in the early hours, but still took the time to have a chat and to show me the material, which is the weirdest stuff I have ever seen and I should point out that these are slip-on covers, not a seat recovering measure, with each one being tailored for a perfect fit, unlike the 'warp round and tuck-under' flubber sheets sold by some bike outlets.

What isn't obvious from the pictures on the website, (where it looks like a cross between that non-slip perforated flubber you use to stop things flying around the car and a string vest) is just how complex this material is. It is specially made for Cool Covers and they are just beginning to branch out into car seats and office chairs with an eye on the temperature and pressure relieving benefits to the medical world to boot.

The whole 'knitted' material is 8mm thick and consists of two grids, gratings or matrixes (matrices?) held apart by an abundance of coiled filaments which allow the two grids to compress together whilst still being something like 85% fresh air. I sat on a sheet of this stuff while we were chatting on the office sofa and it was undetectable through my chinos, so hardly likely be obtrusive in use. No matter how much I squeezed the material between finger and thumb, I could still blow air between them, so I can see the air- and water-flow part of the material being very effective. It does, however, feel very grippy which would solve the problem for those of us who find their saddles too slippery, but might not suit the 'hang off the side' merchants among you. I have only ever taken a pillion passenger once on the Sargent pillion pad and he was sliding all over the place from start to finish.

It is worth mentioning that the covers are already available for the K12/13 S and GT, both high and low versions and the covers are in the KTM catalogue as an official accessory and they also feature in the Wunderlich catalogue, so obviously good quality kit.

I have arranged to pop back with the component parts of my Sargent seat for them to take a look at to see what they can do with it once John has recovered from the deluge of orders from the bike show and will report back with more information and details of a discount voucher scheme for members.

More anon...
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 05:27:44 pm by Phmode »