Author Topic: Alarm Removal  (Read 4874 times)

revd

Alarm Removal
« on: November 27, 2020, 06:36:01 pm »
Removing MetaSystems Alarm from K1200R. This is the factory fitted alarm.  I presume it is just unplug and away you go?  Awaiting a new battery to be delivered, Motobatt my preferred flavour.

The alarm does have new batteries in it and also the fob.  It was not turned on and was working if used in seconds after the bike is turned off.  Light in dash would flash if activated.

I would prefer to not have the alarm on the bike as they drain batteries and after a while can cause issues.  Right now it is sitting on my desk. Trying to find a bypass plug for it, if such a thing exists.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
Re: Alarm Removal
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2020, 08:45:41 pm »
I didn't have the alarm on my 1200 but did on both 1300s. Assuming it's the same alarm it doesn't drain the battery as it switches itself off after either 48 or 72 hours. The battery does get drained but the alarm is not really the culprit. 
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2020, 09:22:13 pm »
Assuming you don't have TPMS then you can just remove the alarm unit and bin it or flog it.

If you do have TPMS, then the alarm unit is also the TPMS unit so removing it means TPMS won't work.

revd

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2020, 09:29:41 am »
No TPMS on my bike.  Not a worry as I check my tyre pressures with a separate guage.  New Motobatt will be delivered Monday, so I can test it then and will have saved myself some weight on the bike!  Alarm will appear on Ebay for the cost of the battery.  New batteries in the alarm and remotes as well!  Good to know I can just pull it and bike will still work fine! Thanks for the info.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2020, 11:05:35 am »
I don't doubt what you say Brian but what is the point of the alarm if the oiks can just remove it.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2020, 05:50:45 pm »
Nothing. But you do have to get the seat off first. It's easier to nick the whole bike in a Transit than try to nick the alarm  ;)

revd

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2020, 10:22:53 am »
Right ho! Motobatt installed. Bike started on the button! Got it up to temperature and then put battery back on "frost" protection setting being used.

Should all be fine now going forward.  Taking alarm off was fine. No issues there. One alarm up for sale with new batteries and two fobs with new batteries fitted.  Wonder that those are fetching on the interwebs?

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2020, 07:00:29 pm »
You need to make sure which version of the alarm you have for sale.

The larger, clunkier one is the basic alarm. The smaller, glitzier one is the combined alarm/TPMS unit.

Not that this helps as you only have one so you can't compare.

I'll dig out my photos and pm them to you.

revd

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2020, 06:05:09 am »
Basic alarm by the looks of it. Should I roll it in glitter and sell it as a Christmas ornament for the BMW Afficiando?

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2020, 09:57:43 am »
No need for glitter:

Carpet/table cover for sale (BMW alarm included).

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2020, 01:16:14 pm »
If you have seen my pm with piccies you will have seen that you are selling a combined alarm/TPMS unit. Like I said, do your homework.

revd

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2020, 03:30:58 pm »
If you have seen my pm with piccies you will have seen that you are selling a combined alarm/TPMS unit. Like I said, do your homework.

Bike has not got TPM on it. Alarm system only has pins on one side of that unit.....

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2020, 04:14:10 pm »
Ah yes empty pin holes!
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2020, 10:46:35 pm »
They all only have connections on one side of the unit.

What you are selling IS an alarm/TPMS unit.

If you want to use TPMS you can use either unit, whether you use the alarm unit or not.

If you have only TPMS, you only need the clunky unit, which you don't have. My bike, a 2012 K13S, had TPMS as standard but no alarm so had the chunky TPMS only unit.

If you want an alarm unit AND you have TPMS, you need the unit you are selling. I wanted to have the alarm as well as the TPMS, so I bought the alarm/TPMS unit from a member who was emigrating. In my case it was plug and play.

If you want an alarm unit but don't want/need TPMS, you still need the unit you are selling.

Look at my photographs in the personal mail I sent you. If you haven't seen it check your rubbish bin.

It is worth about £40...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143869701458

The TPMS only unit by itself is worth about £10...

OR £130...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171315217853

...if someone is daft enough.

Seeing as I couldn't find any on ebay in UK, perhaps it is 'worth' more at the moment.

To make it easier for you, I'll give you £5 for the alarm/TPMS unit. Simples! And I'll pay the postage  ;)

Brian
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 02:02:57 am by Phmode »

revd

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2020, 04:54:35 am »
No email forthcoming I'm afraid.