Author Topic: After Market performance air filters  (Read 8101 times)

Offline S BMW

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s anniversary model
After Market performance air filters
« on: August 18, 2020, 08:48:36 pm »
Hello All,
Just wondering if anyone has after market Performance air filters fitted , and what difference they make. What make is best.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
Re: After Market performance air filters
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2020, 08:51:57 pm »
With a K  R Sport,I only have one filter but that is a DNA and it’s cone shaped to give more surface area.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2020, 10:07:21 pm »
K&N have a similar shape and worked well on my K12S.

Main difference is longevity. They last for a squillion miles as long as they are cleaned and re-oiled.

You won't find any air filter that makes much of a difference in terms of performance. If you need more than 170 bhp, you bought the wrong bike  :)

Offline Swindon Andy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Straight bar conversion, HID dip, clear front indicators, LED rear indicators, TomTom mount, top box (on rare occasions)
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2020, 11:55:50 pm »
I had K&N filters on my last K1300S, previous owner fitted. The bike was louder than the motorsport, induction roar. That bike didn't go quite as well, but maybe the later bike has an updated tune.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2020, 08:25:26 am »
As Brian said the big plus is longevity,in the bigger picture they can be part of the jigsaw puzzle too improving the bike,first things first K’s don’t do 170hp....that’s just BM PR,mine still does do that even with mods.

The reality is BM’s priority is the TUV, sadly at best we come second depending on if the cost cutters get in before us...,ignoring the TUV which us Brits can do, after market filters,exhaust,some form of remap and the bike can be transformed, it’s not the HP but how you get it, the bottom end grunt that can be gotten is nothing short of amazing, both my K and X/R have been transformed from the stock BM offering,i’ve Found the biggest hassle is getting off ones backside and doing it  ;)

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2020, 09:08:19 am »
I ran K&N filters on both my K1300Ss as they ran up large mileages and it was economically sensible.

I didn't get either bike remapped but never had any issues suggesting a remap was required.  With 99RON fuel the bike would pull top gear cleanly from 25mph, ran happily up to full power and averaged 47-50mpg.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline S BMW

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2020, 09:16:53 am »
Many thanks for your comments chaps . It would not be for Increased power the beast has ample to be honest I haven’t been riding much if My memory serves me correctly I bought the K in 2017 with 13,700 on the clock , front pads are may be a couple of thousand away of  needing doing , Had an inspection and oil change a couple of years ago with adventec At 14,330 the bike now has 14,600 on it went for a short spin recently while flicking through a roundabout the bike kicked sideways a bit . Hmmm says I (like WTF) upon journeys end saw some oil on the floor . It would seem it is the rocker gasket. So there are more pressing needs at the moment that will need doing it will be the stealers .

Offline S BMW

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2020, 09:18:47 am »
So it will be getting its 18,000 service early.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2020, 11:24:50 am »
Hey Mr S. If my memory is still working, I had the rocker cover gasket leak a year or so ago. They fixed that under the insured warranty I think, but I could be lying and Philip probably has that paperwork now.

Of course, prior to that, and the cause of actual oil on the floor and proper rear wheel sliding fun was when the rear drive failed. Twice. But if it's that your pool will be dripping from a different place which I imagine you'd notice :P.

"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2020, 11:52:13 am »
For anyone thinking along such lines, the game has changed yet again.... by late 09 tuners were managing to access ECU’s and piggyback fuelling ie Power Commanders were considered old hat and on the way out...

My 2013 the dreaded TUV decided to change the rules of the game and forced manufactures to make ECU’s impossible to acccess,so it’s been back to piggyback for some years Power Commander/Rapid Bike and even they have their differences for those that want to delve deeper.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
Air Filters
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2020, 07:49:47 am »
So what happened too the thread?

DNA/K+N and I have other after market options (flat) that I have never used,while I have a Rexxer map in my K anyone on here,running either a PC or a Rapidbike in combo with the above.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2020, 08:29:30 am »
It got deleted Chris, don't know who did that but I have merged and restored.

Offline S BMW

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2020, 01:24:35 pm »
Hi Folks,
Yes I have seen the flat type on eBay from Italy these sprint filter are made of polyester. Anyone try foam filter such as piper cross there are Bmw also . The motor whiffs as it running rich . Do not know of anyone here in Paddy land that can do remapping . So your saying Chris that if the aftermarket filters are fitted you’d require a remap ? It’s years since I’ve seen a 99 octane fuel for sale here she’ll were the last brand and I haven’t seen a shell pump in Donkeys. Rae your a bit of a Sauceror😀😉

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2020, 02:37:37 pm »
Short answer... no not at all.

Long answer which I have posted before 10 years ago piggy fuelling was all but finished,the TUV forced manufacturers to make it all but impossible to access them and piggyback as Power Commander,Rapid Bike have made a come back.

To get the best out of an aftermarket end can and filter then you will feel a difference with some form of after market fuelling,but a necessity it ain’t.

Re fuel I religiously run mine on 99 Ron ,no matter what because I most certainly can tell the difference,in fact over the years done more than a few mile running on fumes because I coukdn’t Get the good stuff.

Re the different filters go into eBay,put K1200s DNA filter see how much more air coverage they have got by going conical.

Offline Belco100

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: ex K12R Sport, K13GT, K13S, multiple K16GTs. But now Ducati Multi V4S & KTM 1290 SAS.
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2020, 04:10:09 pm »
I have a pair of BMC flat filters sitting in the garage unused if anyone is interested in them. I cut the plastic tubes right back so just the bits that held the filters in place were left and the filters were exposed (a common mod back in the day). Sounded lovely and felt really crisp. Got an American Evoluzione kit a bit latter on but no real difference.

I also took the actuator pin out of the first gear restrictor. Unfortunately my K13S had Superbike bars and no ASC and was a bit too wheely prone for my liking  :o