Author Topic: Akrapovic baffle ... in or out survey.  (Read 9361 times)

Offline kfrogzx7

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K100rs & K13s Motorsport
Akrapovic baffle ... in or out survey.
« on: August 02, 2020, 08:40:57 pm »
I was just wondering what the consensus is on the K13 Akra baffle, in or out ? After my friend on his Fireblade told me he couldn't hear my bike beside him today mines coming back out, it may be a little more tiring on longer journeys to have the noise, but boy is it worth it when quick shifting up the box in a hurry :)  How do most people run theirs ?
K100rs : R1100s : R1150rs : R1200st : K1300s m/s

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: Akrapovic baffle ... in or out survey.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 09:21:21 pm »
Mine stays in. Can't stand noisy bikes.

I have removed the cable from the exhaust flap which does make it slightly noisier at lower revs (this keeps the flap fully open all the time). It doesn't put a fault code up on the dash but registers as a fault code on the GS911.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 09:38:39 pm »
Definitely in. Too anti-social out.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 10:00:04 pm »
In. I SAID 'IN'.

The less attention you attract, the greater chance of not being pulled over.

This is from experience of loud Laverdas & policemen waiting round corners for me. I've grown up now. Well, a little bit. :-\

Offline kfrogzx7

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2020, 10:11:53 pm »
It's difficult to judge exactly how loud it is without the baffle ( I think a lot of the noise is induction that the rider can hear so easily ), because I've had people tell me that the bike really isn't that loud with the baffle out ?

Offline SCM

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200R Sport
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 10:23:22 pm »
Hi,
When I fitted my akrapovic system I bought on of these.
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/sound-level-meters/1938698/
I get 95db with the baffle in. And it’s staying in.
Steve.
K1200R Sport
MotoGuzzi V50 III
M1000 RR
Yamaha R6 Race

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2020, 10:28:16 pm »
It's difficult to judge exactly how loud it is without the baffle ( I think a lot of the noise is induction that the rider can hear so easily ), because I've had people tell me that the bike really isn't that loud with the baffle out ?

Compared to ... what?
Compared to an unbaffled Harley, yes, it's quiet. Compared to a baffled Akra it's getting towards twice as loud - by my crude measurements.

Ride behind one unbaffled, and then decide!

Mine also gave me a headache after 2 hours, but that's just personal.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2020, 10:32:07 pm »
Blimey talk about an apt posting... currently have two carbon Akra cans one with a baffle and the other without, been out on the K this afternoon with the full Akra system and can with no baffle there’s no bloody difference from the other one with the baffle.

Offline kfrogzx7

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2020, 10:53:56 pm »
I'm not really convinced by the "anti-social / attracts too much attention" angle, I like people to know I'm there and a loud pipe certainly does that. I've frequently seen drivers eyes clocking me in their wing mirrors as I pass loudly - helps clear bunnies and pheasants out of the way too.
Lots of people like to hear a crisp motorbike on full chat too .... :)

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2020, 10:56:18 pm »
Should have said noise wise... the way the stock headers with the one Akra with baffle ran was a world away from the full system without the baffle,currently digesting the difference  ???

Noise or not noise is I guess a separate debate,but neither of the two cans I have i’d class as loud,now the Wings can I have on my KTM without the baffle... it’s deafening and i’d Class that as anti social.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 11:02:21 pm by chriscanning »

Offline Swindon Andy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Straight bar conversion, HID dip, clear front indicators, LED rear indicators, TomTom mount, top box (on rare occasions)
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2020, 11:42:40 pm »
In. Not only is the noise level about right for me, but I'm convinced the bike runs noticeably stronger with the baffle in.

Offline Sutty

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300 Dynamic
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Autocom, BSD remap, 170 at the wheel. SC project can with baffle removed.Lust 25mm lowering plates
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2020, 06:42:11 am »
Sorry guys, it’s out for me,  I fitted a SC Project can to the standard headers. such a sweet sound as you cane through the gears, with the crack the Q Shifter gives.

Regards. Mick
No problems only Solutions

Offline Owen2737

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2020, 07:32:48 am »
Out for me as well! Doesn't seem that much louder than with it in.Have had a V4 Tuono with an Austin Racing can with no baffle.Now that was loud. ;D

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2020, 07:42:52 am »
On a previous Old Gits trip to the Picos I spent a couple of days riding in a group with 3 other K1300Ss. One was a MotorSport with the baffle out. As the week progressed he was gradually moved to the back of the group as whoever was following found that, after a couple of hours following him the noise from his exhaust started to become very wearing and was spoiling the ride. And this was not because people were riding right up his exhaust pipe, there was a good 3 seconds plus between each bike all almost every point. (In fact, the favorite game of us all was to get far enough ahead of the person behind that the message "Rider B Disconnected" was heard from the intercom! :D )
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2020, 11:28:11 am »
Most definitely in. And that is on the BMW Akra with catalyser, not the empty bean tin of the after-market version.

I really don't get this 'I want them to know I'm there' stuff.

I'm invisible. I can't see me, my mates can't see me, you most definitely can't see me. It doesn't matter if they are looking or not and most aren't. I'm not there.

More glaring spot lights on the front of the bike won't make me more visible, it will just get me confused for a car in the distance and then they'll hit me.

I don't want anyone to hear me, otherwise they'll know I'm there and then they are more likely to hit me. A huge booming silencer only annoys other bikes and pedestrians and innocent gardeners in villages. It will never penetrate the thick skulls of idiot drivers nor get past the bass vibrators of the 'quick' boys. The noise of a bike simply annoys. It may announce your presence somewhere and while they are all looking around to see where the bloody noise is coming from they are not watching where they are going (even the ones who might have been before) and then they are more likely to hit you.

If you are relying on other road users knowing you are there and doing something positive about your presence you are riding dangerously, meaning you are putting yourself in danger. It means you are putting your safety and even your life in the hands of eejits, ne'er-do-wells and mothers on the school run. I shudder at the thought.

You should be riding defensively. Bloody quick, but defensively.

That means being in the right place at the right time in the right gear and the right frame of mind. It means knowing where every other road user is and what they are doing and not putting yourself in their way. It means being a wannabe biking super-hero.

As the subject of a SMIDSY wrote in Motorcycle News a decade or more ago, 'It wasn't that he pulled out in front of me on a roundabout. It wasn't that he caused me to take evading action and fall off the bike. It wasn't the fact that he never even looked to see my garishly painted bike nor my idiotically loud protective clothing and helmet. But somehow, and clearly this was my fault, I did rather think that the blaring two-tone sirens and the flashing blue lights might just have caught his attention!' Note that the copper blamed his own riding for the incident.

And in my books, coppers on bikes are biking super-heros.

It can happen to the best of bikers. Stop relying on dazzling lights and loud pipes to save your life.

Have loud pipes by all means if you must, but please, do not think it grants you anything other than a curse from the cagers and if the cager in front is me and your pipe intrudes on my peace and quiet don't be surprised when I 'absent-mindedly' manoeuvre myself into your way to impede your progress a little.

The saying 'Walk quietly and carry a big stick' is as much true of riding a motorcycle as it is to international affairs.

Rant over...