Author Topic: Bar risers  (Read 4504 times)

Offline farmermo

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2005 k1200s
Bar risers
« on: March 24, 2015, 07:51:18 am »
Anyone using bar risers, I'm looking to take a little weight off my wrists and there's a set of 85mm risers on eBay.
I'm not sure if 85mm will be too much, I know with them I'll need to extend pipes.
I could do with a view of someone who has some experience of risers.
Cheers

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Re: Bar risers
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 08:58:01 am »
Which bike do you have?

Offline farmermo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 09:38:06 am »
2005 k1200s
ill try adding it to my profile

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 10:56:00 am »
85mm sounds a bit too drastic to me. If you needed that much you should perhaps be thinking about a different bike.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 12:00:18 pm »
I too had the problem of 65 year old, '7 seven year old girl's' wrists and too much weight.

The answer for me was Helibars, Grip Puppies and perhaps most importantly, sorting out my core muscles so I don't rest on the bars. This is a dreadful habit, it deadens the steering response and makes the bike feel like an ocean going tanker in the 'turn-in' department.

Some have fitted the yoke off the R(?) which gives lift without losing the stock look.

Brian (who started resting on the bars after losing his 3 stone 'chest rest'  ::) )

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 12:01:18 pm »
Go back 6/7 years ago there was all sorts of stuff posted on the net about such because anything over a certain height needed pipes and cables some kit actually came with them I reckon those bars on eBay did but the previous had left them on the bike.

The norm is to use Helibars because they will go with the stock controls if you buying second hand check what they came off the bars for the Ks are different from the Kr.

Brian has them on his so he must like them I hated mine with a passion riding position was great the the way the engine resonated back through the bars on deceleration drives me nuts hardly surprising because the stock bars have a rubber mounted support bar that you don't get with the after market stuff.

I sold mine on eBay and then found a guy in California (IDI) and tried which were different angle and  I didn't get on with those either.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 12:04:11 pm by chriscanning »

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 01:08:31 pm »
I too have the IDE (company now is out of business am afraid ) from Jerry the pirate for 76 euros and happy with them.
The issue is that we all have different hand dimensions and we ride differently so what ever advice we might offer could easily proved wrong.
The MVerholen offers bars, in my opinion very expensive and come in different dimensions and height, some versions need extension cables for brake and clutch cables.
Shnicher is offering another solution, and by seen those on a friends K12s I would go that way.
Embrace the wind.

Offline scootinstevey

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 07 K1200s
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Remus can, R&G protectors, baglux cover, bar risers, booster plug
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 08:23:22 pm »
Hi, I have the MVerholen 100mm risers!   Yes, 100mm or 4 inches in old money. 
They were on the bike when I bought it and I find them fine for my ageing body.   My last bikes were a triumph tiger and Guzzi California so I'm sort of used to big bars/ ape hangers!!!!

I do think they are too expensive for what they are and would probably go with Costas suggestion if I were wanting to change from standard.

Offline brian63

• Ex K owner
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: R1200RS
  • Modifications and add-ons:: garmin,pmr radio with remote arial,Auto Com
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 09:16:10 pm »
Hi
I have heli bars fitted giving 25mm or 1 inch old money  lifts the bars up and back also don't have to
Change brake lines, being a short a.. Makes life easier
Brian

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 10:20:11 pm »
Brian do you notice more vibration through those bars than the standard rubber mounted ones?
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 10:30:11 pm »
No! However, I did fit Grip Puppies at or about the same time. I was getting tingles in the fingers and thumb of the right hand on long, boring m'ways and dual-carr'ways.

I also fitted the throttle lock to lessen the grip needed to hold the throttle on those very journeys.

Today I have no tingles and no vibes except at exactly 6,000 rpm, so I normally ride above that speed.

Brian (who is all leg and no body so the reach to the bars was the original reason for the Helibars)

Offline farmermo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 06:54:56 am »
I'm now thinking I'm going to try and get a k1200r top yoke/bridge or whatever you want to call it.
It seems to improve things and keep the standard look.

Offline brian63

• Ex K owner
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: R1200RS
  • Modifications and add-ons:: garmin,pmr radio with remote arial,Auto Com
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2015, 07:21:38 am »
Hi Tom
There is some vibration on the right bar bur only at certain revs makes my
Index finger go numb so try not to ride at those revs.

Brian

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2015, 08:29:16 am »
I was glad I tried the different options  hey you have to try these things but I was more than happy to go back to the stock set up but then mine is an R .