Author Topic: Thoughts on these tyres?  (Read 3556 times)

Offline gramey

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S
Thoughts on these tyres?
« on: March 21, 2015, 09:49:12 pm »
My bike had been fitted with a pair of new Bridgestone BT021R Sport & Touring tyres when I bought it, with weather and work I've only done a little over 100 miles on them, does anybody have experience of these tyres?  :)

Offline Dusty

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200R Sport; 2007
Re: Thoughts on these tyres?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 08:12:19 am »
I had these on my Aprilia Falco and thought the grip and handling far superior to the BT020. However, the front wore rather quickly and strangely on either side of the centre, with a scalloped pattern. I think there's a reason why the 021 had a short production life. I think they were superseded in 2010 by the 023. I'll be interested to hear anyone's K experience, but if they were still available, they wouldn't be on my short list.

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 08:17:30 am »
Those are not the perfect tires for a fast rider, comment ends.
Embrace the wind.

Offline gramey

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 03:26:28 pm »
Okay, as I wouldn't normally have Bridgestone tyres it's news to me that these are obsolete  :( As for riding fast with these tyres and the imminent threat of the bike self destructing on me best I ride like a nun, now where did my Falco go?  ;D

Having looked Bridgestone still list these on their website but whilst these are listed as Touring the BT016 or the S20 are listed as the sport option for the K1200S.  :)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 03:41:10 pm by gramey »

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 04:03:50 pm »
There is a relevant thread with all tires types and brands available for K bikes.
Different compound and design among products of the same brand might confuse but what exactly suits better your riding style? Only you can answer that.
Embrace the wind.

Offline JackSnipe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 04:53:31 pm »
The 20 IMHO was a better tyre than the  21'sand the 23's are better than both. That being said there are better out there, including Pr 3's, Z8's and Storm XM's. Jury seems to be out on the Pr 4's.

JS
JS

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 05:33:31 pm »
I had the XM's and went back to Storm ultra 2's.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2015, 05:51:12 pm »
The jury came back in on the PR4's; guilty as charged on the following counts:

1) Being far too sensitive to white lines and/or longitudinal broken tarmac, particularly in the wet, but also the dry (as opposed to transverse broken tarmac over which they never bat an eyelid)

2) Being more expensive than both PR3's and 2's both of which grip as well in the dry

They are great tyres, but having ridden both the 3's and the 4's in similar circumstances the 4's are not a significant enough advantage over the 3's for me. If I were commuting in torrential rains then they might be a life-saver as they are great in the wet.

Briian (who could never fault the 3's, wet or dry and will probably be going back to them before the Old Git's trip to Spain in the summer  8) )

Online richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2015, 08:10:52 pm »
Okay, as I wouldn't normally have Bridgestone tyres it's news to me that these are obsolete  :( As for riding fast with these tyres and the imminent threat of the bike self destructing on me best I ride like a nun, now where did my Falco go?  ;D

Having looked Bridgestone still list these on their website but whilst these are listed as Touring the BT016 or the S20 are listed as the sport option for the K1200S.  :)

I agree Gramey - Bridgestones and Falcos go together well, but they did used to wear rather fast.

What I've found (very limited experience so far, so read other tyre threads) is the that there are several other manufacturers (Mich, Pirelli, etc) that will last longer than Bridgestones and still grip. 8k on my Pirelli Angel GT-A rear & 5.5k on the front, for example, which would be unheard of on a Falco. Well, unheard of with my rough throttle hand, anyway...