Author Topic: Side-stand mounting...  (Read 3518 times)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Side-stand mounting...
« on: May 14, 2019, 02:22:59 pm »
Just cleaning up after giving the dog-bone and associated needle-roller bearings a good greasing (I have no idea where it goes to, it was done two years ago which is only a couple of thousand miles!) and as I folded the side-stand back up I was horrified by the amount of lateral play in the mount!

Pushing the side-stand 'in' and 'out' (with it on the centre stand), there must be almost an inch of play at the tip. I did it with the stand retracted and it was the same.

There are a couple of suspiciously worn (and very rusty looking) washers between the stand and the frame and one wonders if these need replacing.

The play allows the side-stand switch to wobble around and as this is a known failure on some BM models I'm a little bit concerned.

So, how much play has yours got?

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: Side-stand mounting...
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 03:57:43 pm »
Side stand extended:
- 6mm inward movement - with a reasonably hard press to overcome the spring. That's 1/4" in old money  ;D
- 0mm outward. And no movement when putting the bike onto the side stand

(No rust that I could see.)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 05:19:27 pm by richtea »

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 05:04:41 pm »
Yikes, and thank you for checking.

Even with a big-foot extender my K leans like a drunk on a lamp-post. It seems like six years has taken its toll on mine.

Even more Yikes! Collar Bush x 2  46537679105 $13.41 EACH!!!

PS All sorted, two bushes in the post from NOG, should be here by the weekend! £8.odd each!!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 05:54:09 pm by Phmode »

Offline paulotex

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2010 K1300R
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 08:54:38 am »
Just to confirm that my side stand also has no play outwards. And thanks for sharing the bushing prices. I know where to get them from when I need them...

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 05:41:53 pm »
New bushed finally arrived today, only took a week from Oxford, could have ridden over and collected them in less time! On the push-bike  ::)

Any way, no significant difference in the thickness of the 'brim' of the top hat bushes, but the wear in the centre was obvious to see.

Only lost two fingers getting the side-stand springs back on and now I have 7mm of play instead of about 27 and the bike looks like a normal person leaning on a lamp post rather than a drunk.

To be honest, at £17 I was expecting phosphor-bronze or at least Oilite but they were just white metal stuff.

Never pleased, some folk  8)

Offline Forcefield

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2013 K1300s Sport
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2024, 10:57:41 pm »
Hmmm... Mine is doing this also. 1st Noticed the movement in it when sat on the bike and placed my foot on it as normal to extend it. Didn't seem right. I've not measured the amount of travel at the tip, but it's defo a cm or so...

No movement outwards, only inwards in both extended and retracted positions.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 12:07:58 am by Forcefield »

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2024, 12:12:39 pm »
Call the salesman. He'll tell you they all do that sir! And they probably do.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2024, 12:51:19 pm »
Side stand extended:
- 6mm inward movement - with a reasonably hard press to overcome the spring. That's 1/4" in old money  ;D

This is still same on my latest Motorsport - lots of play when pushing the sidestand inwards, but no play outwards since it's sprung, so not something to worry about.

The only improvement to the sidestand I'd recommend is to fit a foot extension since the original is teeny tiny.
Something like this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/364634605354

Or if you like to spend:
https://www.nippynormans.com/k1200gt-06-on-k1300gt/wunderlich-side-stand-enlarger-k1200rs-k1300rs
https://www.motorcycleparts-hornig.com/BMW-K-1300-S/Alu-High-grade-Steel/Side-stand-foot-enlargement-2.html

Mine is a Touratech one - a flat base plate with shaped surrounding plate bolted on top to clamp the existing foot, but it doesn't seem to be on sale any more. Similar to this:

This looks closest to a Touratech, but it's lacking any bolt subtlety!:
https://advalp.pl/en/side-stand-extension/k1200s-k1200r-k1300s-k1300r-side-stand-extension.html

Offline Forcefield

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2024, 05:02:00 pm »
Side stand extended:

This is still same on my latest Motorsport - lots of play when pushing the sidestand inwards, but no play outwards since it's sprung, so not something to worry about.

The only improvement to the sidestand I'd recommend is to fit a foot extension since the original is teeny tiny.
Something like this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/364634605354

Or if you like to spend:
https://www.nippynormans.com/k1200gt-06-on-k1300gt/wunderlich-side-stand-enlarger-k1200rs-k1300rs
https://www.motorcycleparts-hornig.com/BMW-K-1300-S/Alu-High-grade-Steel/Side-stand-foot-enlargement-2.html

Mine is a Touratech one - a flat base plate with shaped surrounding plate bolted on top to clamp the existing foot, but it doesn't seem to be on sale any more. Similar to this:

This looks closest to a Touratech, but it's lacking any bolt subtlety!:
https://advalp.pl/en/side-stand-extension/k1200s-k1200r-k1300s-k1300r-side-stand-extension.html

Thanks! Yes this on the list!  I'm going to take a punt on the eBay one.

Offline Forcefield

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2024, 05:02:44 pm »
Call the salesman. He'll tell you they all do that sir! And they probably do.

Prob not bad idea..

Offline GlynH

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2010 K1300GT EE
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Touratech heated seats
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2024, 10:41:11 am »
I wonder if anybody can identify the manufacturer of this side-stand extension by any chance please?

It was on my K13GT when I bought it but have since removed it purely because it stood out too much being silver rather than black!

I had planned to get it anodised but I ended up having to grind it off so I purchased the 2-piece Hornig extender (wider & taller) but haven’t fitted it yet as I want to use black instead of the silver cap screws supplied.

Fussy? Moi?  ;)

-=Glyn=-
« Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 10:43:28 am by GlynH »

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2024, 04:32:36 pm »
Very fancy part!

If you have replaced it and ground it off, why do you need to know who made it? Just curious ;D

Offline GlynH

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2010 K1300GT EE
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Touratech heated seats
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2024, 01:13:01 pm »
For no other reason that I have been known to change my mind(!) and I always like to know exactly what is fitted to my bike!

Well that the fact that I have never seen one like this before and so curiosity always gets the better of me of course... ;)

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Offline Forcefield

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2024, 11:33:25 pm »
So the ebay one arrived today, and while the actual piece of metal seems really strong, Im really not sure about trusting the 3 washers and screws to not fail under the weight of the bike. Also it seems like the footprint of the stand is just slightly to big for the fitment.

Offline Swindon Andy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Straight bar conversion, HID dip, clear front indicators, LED rear indicators, TomTom mount, top box (on rare occasions)
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2024, 11:40:18 pm »
Looks similar to mine, which hasn't been a problem over several years.