Author Topic: K1300s Rear Tyre  (Read 3593 times)

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
  • My K bike model:: K1300s 2009
  • Modifications and add-ons:: rear splash guard, Sargent seat and pod, 35mm bar risers
K1300s Rear Tyre
« on: May 25, 2017, 09:06:12 am »
I'm have to replace my rear tyre.
I'm vey happy with my PR4's.
I recently replaced the front with a GT and found a big improvement and I have been very happy with the firmer front and the overall feel of the bike.
Should I replace the rear with a GT as well?
Its not always the destination that counts its the ride, having a destination just stops you going round in circles.

Offline peterwbaker

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
Re: K1300s Rear Tyre
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 09:59:11 am »
Interesting thought and something I would not have thought to try, glad it made a difference for you.  I have used PR4s and PR4GTs on different bikes both are good.  They recommend the PR4GT for my R1200RT LC which one up is not much heavier than my K1300S which has run PR4s and both ride well on their respective tyres so I can't see anything wrong with your plan.

Not really the answer you asked for :-) as you should keep them paired of course but as a lifetime PR fan I recently tried the RoadTec 01 and they are amazing...  For me at least much greater confidence rolling into the corners and the PR4s were not bad as they say!  Peter

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
  • Modifications and add-ons:: rear splash guard, Sargent seat and pod, 35mm bar risers
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 11:47:46 am »
I guess I'll rely on my tyre fitter's advice.
Its not always the destination that counts its the ride, having a destination just stops you going round in circles.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 12:20:00 pm »
Yes, definitely, use the GT. I've tried both on my K1300Ss and the GT is better suited, especially if riding "enthusiastically".
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 03:37:11 pm »
When I had new PR4's fitted a week or two ago I asked about the GT and was told it had 'softer' sidewalls!

Didn't seem at all right to me but stuck with the standard tyre.

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 05:22:54 pm »
I understood the GT had stiffer walls.
When the front was changed to GT it certainly felt stiffer but then was a new tyre.
All I know is the bike has felt more stable.
By the way my tyre man had no hesitation in approving the GT rear. I know it costs a little more £8 but.....

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 06:35:40 pm »
IMHO
Best for me is PR3
Ran PR4 but found less of a glued to the road feel
Had a PR3 GT rear and was starting to wear away the Michelin man as the weather improved, no really noticeable change in feel or grip over the ordinary ones
Now running roadtec01, finding they have taken a couple of thousand miles to get properly scrubbed in  but i now have no chicken strips left. However they are nowhere near as good as the pr3 in the wet, I've had some bottom clenching moments

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 06:47:09 pm »
PIRELLI ANGEL GTA

Subliminal or what. Actually, sub lime.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2017, 08:23:46 pm »
As one who rides no slower in the wet than in the dry (and there are those who say I couldn't ride any slower in the wet than I do in the dry  ::) ) I think I will stick to Mssr. Michelin's products. Buttock clenching moments I do not need, I ain't good enough to collect 'em and not big enough to pick it up unassisted  8)

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2017, 11:07:52 pm »
As an all year round rider I would willingly sacrifice some dry weather grip for that bit extra in the wet when it will most likely be needed.
But then I'm not that quick in either wet or dry, more a steady Eddy.

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2017, 12:17:31 pm »
PR4 GT fitted.
Gone up in price yet again.
PR4 up by £11 GT+£8
Price paid £163 loose wheel.
Bob's Tyres Stevenage.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2017, 12:22:28 pm »
I'm getting a new pair of GTs (I think - unless anyone persuades me there's a better option ...) fitted next week ready for the Gap trip. My current tyres aren't quite worn out (almost 7k miles) and would probably just survive the trip but I don't fancy limiting the fun in the South of France because my tyres are near their limit. It's only money after all!!
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2017, 12:45:01 pm »
PR4 GT fitted.
Gone up in price yet again.
PR4 up by £11 GT+£8
Price paid £163 loose wheel.
Bob's Tyres Stevenage.

Don't forget to claim your money back from Mssr. Michelin....

https://myoffer.moto.michelin.com/en_GB/catalog/details/46434/

Credited direct to your bank account.

Actually, I think you only get it for a pair.....oops  :(

Yup, £30 back on a pair, nowt back on a single   8)

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2017, 01:29:03 pm »
I've got a pair.
Just bought at different times.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2017, 05:34:52 pm »
As one who rides no slower in the wet than in the dry...

I'm more of a bum-clenching "go easy in the wet" rider for the first 30 mins, until I realise it's actually just fine and dandy - hey let's crack on.
And then invariably I get a little reminder about wet braking distances... ooooerr  :o

I certainly get more movement from the front on wet roads - it feels looser & easier to steer when wet. Which dampens (ha) my enthusiasm.