Author Topic: ASC K1300r  (Read 3585 times)

Offline Gracaz

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300r
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Carbon Hugger, Carbon Oil Cooler protector, SW motech rear rack, MIVV Carbon exhaust, Headlight Protector , AC Schnitzer Superbike handlebar conversion
ASC K1300r
« on: January 16, 2016, 09:16:50 pm »
Hi all
I have a K 1300r without ASC have been told that it can be retrofitted, would appreciate peoples views is it worth £400 ish realise that I have built in ASC with throttle control but would be nice to have a bit of a safety net in the wet weather. cheers

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: ASC K1300r
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 09:37:38 pm »
The best safety net in the wet is Michelin PR's.

Maybe I'm not as much of an animal as some, but in all my hooning around in the filth, I have never had the rear break traction.

Brian (who is being very picky whilst looking at K13's and isn't considering them unless they have ALL the toys, including ASC  8) )

Offline Gracaz

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300r
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Carbon Hugger, Carbon Oil Cooler protector, SW motech rear rack, MIVV Carbon exhaust, Headlight Protector , AC Schnitzer Superbike handlebar conversion
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 09:46:33 pm »
I currently have Michelin prs on much better than the standard metzeler but maybe I am still being a hooligan not had a total back end step out on me but had a couple of twitches...... only slight heart stoppers

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 10:06:14 pm »
My two pennies worth:

- ABS is needed to save you from other mad road users = VITAL

- ASC only saves you from yourself = NOT NEEDED if you trust your own throttle judgement

I don't have it.
I did lose traction once, very slightly, on a white line line + worn rear = completely my own fault, so now I ease off a little in the wet, and keep my tyres fresh.

So I'll go along with the others on the tyre front - dripfeed the £400 on good tyres instead.

Offline gramey

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 12:13:37 am »
I'm not as fast as I was but I've had several scary moments in the wet on my K1200S even in a straight line accelerating sensibly from 50 - 60 mph in 5th gear.
The only other bike I've had a similar thing happen on was a GSXR when I was younger and a little more enthusiastic. Apart from a Pan European which was fitted with traction control and it certainly saved me from sitting on two or three occasions.
If I had the option I'd have it, better to have and not need than need and not have as they say. :)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 04:03:05 am »
What tyres was that on Graham?

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 10:42:22 am »
When I went for the K I was only bothered about getting abs.  However after 4 years now I'd say ASC is worth it for me. Me, with the caveat that it's me.  And I ride like me.  And I'm not you.

Generally in summer I hardly ever break traction, and it'll be a slight drift if so.  In winter and roundabouts I've had it kick in a few times, and over these years I've got to the stage where I don't panic!  So I like to think it's been a learning aid hehe.

With the new bike and on these annoying BT016s I had a bottom clenching rear end bar waggling couple of seconds last week.  I put this down to diesel or an iced ferret.  Either way I think the traction control helped save me.  And the steering damper.

End result: perhaps it's a generational thing, like the... confusing viewpoint of some that abs isn't required because everybody used to be superhuman and make no mistakes.  People make mistakes.  You make mistakes.  Especially when you bought those shoes.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline gramey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 12:28:06 pm »

BTO21's, but even these shouldn't break traction accelerating from 50 mph in a straight line in 4th or 5th gear??? :o

Offline Duc750

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200R Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: R&G's all round, Laser end can, Ilmberger Hugger and a big grin
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2016, 05:57:06 pm »

BTO21's, but even these shouldn't break ever be fitted to anything doing approaching 50 mph in a straight line in 4th or 5th gear??? :o

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2016, 06:40:06 pm »
I have more faith in the government, my parole officer, my bank manager and the drug dealer who lives over the road than I do in Bridgestone tyres.

That's me, with my limited experience of bike tyres and no ASC so far.

In the car I am wayyyyyyyy more of a hooligan and way more skilled at getting into and out of trouble. I can drift, slide, spin and J turn to my little heart (attack's) content as long as the ASC is turned off. Not in the quattro of course, even I can't overcome the laws of nature and Vorsprung durch technic  ???

If my PR's let go in similar circumstances, I know it would be ice, diesel, oil or too much accumulated leaf mulch. I cannot force a rear wheel breakaway without suddenly changing down a couple of gears, slipping the clutch and giving it the beans all the way to the scene of the accident.

Brian (who watched a young guy on an old Suzuki GSX rush past him as he was braking hard for a local roundabout and he never knew a big bike could bounce so much for so long and so far  8) )

Offline gramey

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2016, 10:42:15 pm »
I'm not the best rider out there by a long way but apart from being on two wheels most of the time, the odd accident aside, I did manage for 15 of those years as a police motorcyclist. Riding in all weathers bar snow and ice but certainly in the wet more often than I cared for. I therefore like to think I have a reasonable degree of throttle control.
I can honestly say though as much as I wasn't a fan of the Pan European the ASC saved this piggy's bacon on more than one occasion. :)

Offline Duc750

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200R Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: R&G's all round, Laser end can, Ilmberger Hugger and a big grin
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2016, 03:09:30 pm »
I guess the straight answer to the OP is "no idea". Hypothetically though I would imagine the main loom is all there - its probably just a black box and sub loom needed