Author Topic: K1200S  (Read 131821 times)

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
Re: K1200S
« Reply #645 on: May 22, 2020, 06:21:51 pm »
So heres what it looked like after I stripped off the loose paint and oxidation, and then got Mr Dremel and his wire brush attachment over everything

Then I painted the Hanmerite primer on. Goes on very easily and evenly.

Currently I'm just waiting for the first coat of the Hammerite silver to cure. Think I'll leave that overnight and see if it needs sanding back before a second coat. It is quite thick and if I do any more I will dilute the first coat with thinners.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #646 on: May 22, 2020, 07:36:05 pm »
Now that is what I call flaking paint...

I just love the urban camo orange bits. You could start a trend here Martin  8)

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #647 on: May 22, 2020, 09:11:00 pm »
Keep buying the Hammerite, Akzo Nobel pay my pension.

Tip: leave it a couple of days before rubbing it down. Hammerite is a slow drying paint but once fully cured it's very tough. What were you thinking of thinning it down with?
White spirit would be your best bet.

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #648 on: May 22, 2020, 10:40:16 pm »
I was going to use some Hammerite thinners (your pension fund got a significant boost this morning) can also use white spirit if you think that's  better.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: May 23, 2020, 07:01:38 am »
No martin, use the Hammerite thinners that you have bought, most people don't have enough fore thought to buy the thinners.
Although I must admit I use white spirit, which is ok as long as you don't get to saturation point.

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #650 on: May 23, 2020, 08:51:47 pm »

Used about 10% dilution of the hammerite and a softer brush and got a smoother finish. I tried sanding the first coat  but it was marking the original paint without having much effect on the hammerite. It was never going to be a good looking job as I as working around the stand and couldn't get the wheel out and use bigger tools, feather all ithe original paint edges in etc, but I hope its sealed it all up for a while. It's not a bad colour match so if you were just touching up chips and small areas it wouldn't look bad

Tomorrow I'm going to try out some foaming cleaner for air con coil cleaning on the radiator.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: May 23, 2020, 09:18:20 pm »
Now you know it's a decent match Martin you can make a better job of feathering the edges, or just leave it and look at it with your eyes shut  ;D

I would leave it about two weeks before touching it again.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #652 on: May 23, 2020, 10:15:29 pm »
It looks to me like it would be best to strip it off completely and then paint.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #653 on: May 23, 2020, 10:25:09 pm »
Yeah correct but I lack the space skill and tools to do that at the moment. Once I get past 100k I will think about some serious recon

rdryder

« Reply #654 on: May 24, 2020, 01:21:28 pm »
My k1200s was badly pitted.Now this was about  8 years ago.When Bmw had it in for a service I got them to strip the forks and I took them away to be stripped and powdercoated. Colour was very close.

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #655 on: May 24, 2020, 01:25:23 pm »
Yes was thinking along those lines.  Also thinking about doing the same with the rear. And the front wheel needs doing. Oh and replace the suspension while it's all in bits.

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #656 on: May 24, 2020, 01:34:55 pm »
Tried this stuff out this morning. The foam didnt come out full of gunk that I could see, although discoloured in places. Reapplied several times till the tin ran out from front and back, used a paint brush to work it in and found an old part from the washing machine plumbing to get an angled head on the hose. Theres water coming through from back to front now. All the dirts disappeared but I think I will get some more brake cleaner  as there are fins clogged with brake dust and rubber.

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #657 on: May 24, 2020, 11:12:53 pm »
Here's a couple of pictures to give you an idea of the general condition of the bike under the fairings

Having the front stand makes it immeasurably easier to get the front wheel cleaned, and even better with the mudguard off and the fairings off. Autoglym wheel cleaner is very good. Wouldn't want to be doing it every week though. Which is why I haven't...

While I had the radiator guard off I took the opportunity to give that a good clean. Having used an old paintbrush to get in and clean all the little openings it occurred to me I could use a paintbrush to get some rubber bumper gel in there after cleaning and considerably improve the appearance. That worked. Annoyingly the guard would not fit snugly back into the top of the radiator, maybe it had expanded slightly in the sun as its a pretty snug fit, or maybe it didn't fit anyway and I just didn't notice during dismantling.

Starting to lose paint around the odd bolt hole. Also losing the lacquer here and there off things like the front mudguard and the belly pan

This is the worst bit, on the inside of the front right fairing for some reason. Might be a dodgy paint job, the piece on the lefthand side is fine.

No bolts or fixings were harmed or lost during the making of this post, surprisingly. Would like to know which bit of precision design and production engineering caused some of the fairing fixings to be T25 and some T27. When I came in SWMBO condemned the clothes I was wearing and said they are going in the bin. Bike must be properly clean then....

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #658 on: May 25, 2020, 03:16:36 pm »
I agree about the T25/27 nonsense, especially as the only bit missing from my set is T27.

It probably stuck in the bolt and came out of the end of the driver after a re-fit and is now firmly embedded in someone's rear tyre.

It is the German 'discipline' of insisting on the 'correct' size for the job whereas the Japanese make things like the axle nut a different size from the head of the bolt so you don't need to have two spanners of the same size...far too illogical for the Germans.

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #659 on: June 02, 2020, 03:07:29 pm »
So after emailing, phoning (message with car department not passed on obv), filling in the online form, I finally got through to Ocean to book in. Eva says COVID 19 working practices have put her in a glass box with do not feed on the outside, there's a new manager in residence who I have yet to meet, but horror James the tech is leaving. James has looked after my bike for most of the last 5 years so we have just manged to squeeze in for tracing this starting fault/wheel bearing /tyre before he leaves.
To mend busses in Newquay, which is a better paid job apparently  ???