Author Topic: BMW HP Dash Retrofit - Guide  (Read 19475 times)

Offline sitting_duck

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2013 K1300S 30th Year
  • Modifications and add-ons:: LED indicators, LED H7 Conversion, HP Dash
Re: BMW HP Dash Retrofit - Guide
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2019, 11:41:13 pm »
I fancy the Akrapovic race exhaust system (as a 30th Jahre I have an Akrapovic titanium can as stock) but this is a full system:
http://www.bikenation.co.uk/akrapovic-racing-line-bmw-k1300-carbon £1129.00 -eek!

I also wouldn't mind them forged wheels:
https://www.bmw-motorrad-bohling.com/uk/bmw-hp-forged-front-wheel-for-k1200s-k1200r-k1300s-k1300s.html

But at getting on for 2 grand the pair that's a bit much. That said, with the exhaust system adding some grunt and dropping some weight off (a whole 4kg) and the wheels dropping off about another whole kg gives you a power:weight ratio gain of a whole 50hp per ton...... totally worth it (in daft man maths land)  :P

Save your money, and put it towards a Motorsport Edition K1300S.
You'll get both for free (well, something damned close if you take the baffle out of the Akra).

You'll even get tarty rearsets.

Personally, I wouldn't bother. Ah, sh*t, I did.  :-[

30 Jahre modles already come with tinted screen, HP rearsets, HP footpegs for pillion and a titanium Akra. Only stuff I'm missing compared to the Motorsport Edition as far as I know is the wheels and the paint scheme. The Akra I was on about here was the full system ie - manifold and link pipes and collectors.

I did think about replacing this K13 for a motorsport for a few years newer model (mines a 2013) but this one has only done 16k miles and I'm quite attached to it - never really cared for my ZX6R when I had it - but this K is a whole different unhealthy obsession, so I don't really want to part with it even if it is for another K13.

I think were I to do wheels, I'd seriously have a look at them BST carbon wheels cos I'm such a big tart  :P
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 11:43:27 pm by sitting_duck »

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2019, 08:37:02 am »

……

I think were I to do wheels, I'd seriously have a look at them BST carbon wheels cos I'm such a big tart  :P

Funny you should mention that!

I've heard so many good things about carbon wheels, and BST wheels in particular, that my order for a set went in 3 weeks ago! :) Will arrive just in time to fit to my new H2 SX in March.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline paulotex

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2010 K1300R
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2019, 09:23:40 am »
I'm taking the view that as I absolutely love this K13, there's nothing else currently I'd rather have instead so I'm going to keep this one for eons and make it the best K13 to me it can be.

That is my feeling too, although I just can't afford all those upgrades. I am just considering buying a cheap cat-C or cat-D (if possible to find at all) for spares...

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2019, 10:32:39 am »

……

I've heard so many good things about carbon wheels, and BST wheels in particular, that my order for a set went in 3 weeks ago! :) Will arrive just in time to fit to my new H2 SX in March.

Hey, big spender... 8)

Did you get a big payout when you sued that damned deer then?

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2019, 11:58:56 am »

……

Hey, big spender... 8)

Did you get a big payout when you sued that damned deer then?

Unfortunately not. It's just that I've wanted a set of carbon wheels for ages and decided that life's too short to miss out on something when it can be charged as a company expense! ;)
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2019, 01:13:28 pm »
Of course, silly me! It's been so long since I worked that I'd forgotten the company bike 'scam'  8)

I too used to stare lovingly at the BST website and almost went for a set off eBay, lightly used etc. etc.

Glad I didn't now, but that's not to say.... ;D

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2019, 01:18:39 pm »
Of course, silly me! It's been so long since I worked that I'd forgotten the company bike 'scam'  8)

I too used to stare lovingly at the BST website and almost went for a set off eBay, lightly used etc. etc.

Glad I didn't now, but that's not to say.... ;D
No 'scam'. Both of my last bikes did around 18,000 miles a year, almost all of which were business miles. While the wheels may be a little bit of extra expense it's no more than getting the higher spec model for your company car. Not essential but it makes 600 business miles a week a little more bearable.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2019, 01:34:34 pm »
Tax Efficient tm

I think that's the phrase Brian was searching for.  8)

Offline sitting_duck

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2019, 01:43:05 pm »

……

Do you know what the weight saving is compared to stock wheels?

I read somethign that said a kilo of unsprung mass removed has much the same effect as 8kg's removed from sprung mass. I don't think that necessarily quite translates to BM's with the suspension arrangement up front but I must confess I haven't really researched this point!

House is having an extension this year (starts in a few weeks) so I think the BST's will be a next year kinda thing.

Offline sitting_duck

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2019, 01:48:14 pm »
Tax Efficient tm

I looked into that too, I dont' do anythign like those miles - even in my car but I concluded that it wasn't worth it for me. Aside from the BIK for personal use, there's employers NICs to pay on the value of the benefit - and seeing as it's my company and I own half the shares effectively I get to pay twice  :'(

That said, if there was no personal use and I could have all the vat back on the purchase, the AIA relief on the cost and all the running costs through the business - that would make quite a difference.

So I guess what I'm saying is - I now need two bikes :-) One for fun and one for fun work

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2019, 02:51:55 pm »
Tax Efficient tm

I looked into that too, I dont' do anythign like those miles - even in my car but I concluded that it wasn't worth it for me. Aside from the BIK for personal use, there's employers NICs to pay on the value of the benefit - and seeing as it's my company and I own half the shares effectively I get to pay twice  :'(

That said, if there was no personal use and I could have all the vat back on the purchase, the AIA relief on the cost and all the running costs through the business - that would make quite a difference.

So I guess what I'm saying is - I now need two bikes :-) One for fun and one for fun work

Full recovery of VAT. Costs written off before Corporation Tax, and in one year if you want. All kit (helmet, suit, boots etc.) the same.

One bike for company business only (and keep a log book to prove it) and a personal bike for fun equals no personal tax implications what so ever.  What's not to like?

Offline sitting_duck

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2019, 02:59:52 pm »
ssssh stop it you temptress  ;)

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2019, 03:18:33 pm »
I envy you end am admitting it loudly, an excellent addition, many thanks for posting details.
Embrace the wind.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2019, 04:29:26 pm »

30 Jahre modles already come with tinted screen, HP rearsets, HP footpegs for pillion and a titanium Akra. Only stuff I'm missing compared to the Motorsport Edition as far as I know is the wheels and the paint scheme. The Akra I was on about here was the full system ie - manifold and link pipes and collectors.

Ah, quite right - my mistake. I didn't notice your model.

I'd say the forged wheels make little difference, except making it harder to clean.
But I'm insensitive to a lot of tweaks - it took me about 3 months to notice the difference between each ESA setting, so you should take anything I say with a pinch of salt.  :P

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2019, 08:06:39 pm »
I have a spare standard rear wheel that I swap to the bike occasionally to get full wear out of my rear tyres and I have to confess that I can't tell which wheel is fitted to the bike when I'm ridng it.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.