Author Topic: GS 911 and brakes  (Read 1758 times)

Offline Sutty

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300 Dynamic
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Autocom, BSD remap, 170 at the wheel. SC project can with baffle removed.Lust 25mm lowering plates
GS 911 and brakes
« on: September 18, 2023, 11:16:51 am »
hello guys, just a quick question. just had new tyres, when I took the wheels out I noticed the front pads were low, new pads ordered.  I pumped the pistons out to give them a proper clean but was a little too enthusiastic and popped one out.
so having done that I decided to change the fluid, out came the rep-rom but it dosn't mention the ABS, I resorted to the forum and found that it's best to use a GS911 to bleed the ABS pump.
i've got a GS911wifi  from ebay, one slot used but I cant find out if they are compatible with an  iPhone 6s, does any one know please ?
Thanks in anticipation.

Best regards  Mick

(ps, been a costly week, £365 for tyres, £98 for brake pads, £275 for the 911, and £35 for the adapter dongle !)
No problems only Solutions

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: GS 911 and brakes
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2023, 02:11:06 pm »
Download the GS911 wifi app to your phone and give it a try.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline andym2

• View Profile
  • Location:: Stratford on Avon (District, the town is 'Upon' )
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2023, 02:25:43 pm »
The GS911-WiFi app says iOS 12 or later. iPhone 6s will run up to iOS 15 so you should be OK.

Offline Sutty

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Autocom, BSD remap, 170 at the wheel. SC project can with baffle removed.Lust 25mm lowering plates
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2023, 05:23:41 pm »
Thanks guys, i couldn't find that bit of info about the phone soft ware.  My phone's running  15.7.7 so should be ok. just have to wait till the GS turns up. I've flushed  a bottle of new fluid through the front, i'll finish them before i do the back brakes.
I did message Hexcode and they replied pretty quickly.

Regards  Mick

Offline Sutty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2023, 11:41:36 am »
Hello guys, the 911 turned up and i bled the ABS as the 911 said. All good just needed to bed in the tyres and new pads, done that a fortnight ago and all was good. The weather was great on Saturday just gone so took the opportunity to ride one of my favourite roads, the A463 Newtown to Crossgates. I passed a couple of cars in second gear and got a flash of red from the warning panel, I was too busy watching the road to work out what it was.
It came on again a mile or so farther on a i saw what it was this time, it waas the brake failure light, it was only on for  a split second. I made sure both brakes were working ok and pressed on.
It flashed on and off a few more time before we got home.
Out came the GS911 and the only fault showing in the ABS menu was an "over voltage fault <18v"  I checked the charging at the battery and 14.2v was the maximum.
I didn't bleed the rear brakes.

Best regards  Mick

Online Philip

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport STOLEN. Now on R1200GS which is a little slower.
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2023, 10:36:39 am »
I would start by checking the battery terminals are clean & tight, a loose connection might induce a voltage spike from the alternator.

Do you have a Lithium battery?
They have their own battery management system ( BMS ) inside that tightly controls the battery cell voltages.
Lithium cells don't like being either over or under their regulated voltage ( will be permanently damaged ), which is why they have a BMS.
If the battery voltage rises too high the BMS can just switch off the battery to protect it from overcharge, this again could cause a momentary spike from the alternator.

If you have a spare battery, try that.

Offline Sutty

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2023, 12:54:37 pm »
Cheers Philip,  I have a motobatt gel battery that's quite recent, all connections are clean and secure. The first time I noticed it I was in second and up towards the top end of the revs, but it also happened at lower revs in fourth or fifth.
Brakes work as good as ever, there's a lot of hard braking on the A483.  I didn't know if you had to bleed both front and back plus the ABS for both also. I can't find it on the reprom and the GS911 dosen't say either.

Regards  Mick

Offline Sutty

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2023, 03:23:26 pm »
Hello guys, last week i replaced the fluid in the rear brake and bled the rear ABS. I also bled the front brakes again just to be sure. took the bike out Sunday for 150 or so mls and the warning light was still coming on intermittently, I checked it with the 911 and this time I had under voltage and over voltage faults, checked the battery again and the charging circuit was good at 14.2v. I also checked the front wheel speed sensor was set at the correct distance and the ring was true. I tried the rear ABS while going up the gravel drive to Doms cafe and it worked as it should, I didn't fancy trying the front just in case.
It has to be something to do with air in the system I think as i've only had the problem since I popped one of the front pistons out when I was attempting to clean it but not sure where it could be as the levers are rock solid with no sign of sponginess.
Does anyone know of a detailed description of how the ABS/ linked system works on our bikes ?

Best regards  Mick

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2023, 07:10:16 pm »
I've never seen anything other than the description in the rider manual which says, inter-alia...

"Your motorcycle is equipped with partially integral brakes. Both front and rear brakes are applied when you pull the handbrake lever. The footbrake lever acts only on the rear brake.
While the brakes are slowing the motorcycle, the BMW Motorrad Integral ABS adapts braking-force distribution between front and rear brakes to suit the load on the motorcycle."

And...

"What feedback does the rider receive from the BMW Motorrad Integral ABS?

If the ABS system has to reduce braking force on account of the circumstances described above, (ice etc. - my words!) vibration is perceptible through the handbrake lever.
When the handbrake lever is pulled, brake pressure is also built up at the rear wheel by
the integral function. If the
brake pedal is depressed after the handbrake lever is pulled,
the brake pressure built up beforehand is perceptible as counter-pressure sooner than is the case when the brake pedal is depressed either before or at the same time as the brake lever is pulled."

Apart from that it is all a mystery to me (and I didn't know the stuff in the second quote above...)

Offline Sutty

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2023, 07:41:35 am »
Thanks for that Brian, I can feel that happening sometimes, i've nearly alway had and got a passenger, during my 20 odd years on Blades, it was always rear brake first and that stopped the missus head butting my crash hat. The habit followed me onto the K, and I can feel the rear brake pedal dip as I apply the front brake so that's working too.
The fault is a strange one, at first I thought if may be the front wheel just lifting a little on hard acceleration in 2nd causing a miss match between the wheel sensors but it's also flashed on at 30mph in 6th going through villages.

It's annoying not knowing !

Best regards  Mick

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2023, 09:13:34 am »
Yeah! Of all the warning lights I've ever had on vehicles down the years (ignition light flickering when dynamo not charging, oil pressure warning light, water temp light, you've left your door/boot/ bonnet open light etc. etc.) the one to do with brakes scares the 5#/+£ out of me the most!

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2023, 05:02:13 pm »
...I can feel the rear brake pedal dip as I apply the front brake...
Ah! Glad it's not just me who feels it. Always feels a bit weird.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2023, 05:26:28 pm »
I'm not sure how that could happen because I assume you're also manually activating the rear at the same time as the front! ;)
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2023, 08:11:35 pm »
I'm not sure how that could happen because I assume you're also manually activating the rear at the same time as the front! ;)
No, the rear brake definitely moves down without rider input on it. Most likely it's the pressure easing off whilst your foot is resting (very) gently on it.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2023, 10:57:45 pm »
That's because they is linky-braky thingies and David is having a wind-up...

As one who doesn't even know where his rear brake is, someone will have to spot it to see if it moves when I apply both brakes with just the front lever  :thumbsup: