Author Topic: Hello from new member in sunny Barnsley  (Read 4076 times)

Offline Kev220

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: HP rear sets, Remus Hexacone, Baehr gel seat, some posh levers, plastic mudguards, a dark wind shield thingy
Hello from new member in sunny Barnsley
« on: May 29, 2018, 08:54:56 pm »
Hi Everyone,

Nice to be able to join your excellent forum. I'm a mid-life crisis biker (52), just got my A licence last August. Had a spell on a Tiger 800xc. Not for me at all. I only had a Kawasaki er6 learner bike to compare it to but found that much nicer to ride. So..... really liked the look of a K1300S but was terrified that the power might be way too much for such a novice. Did an insurance comparison, found it was no more expensive than the Tiger, so thought what the hell and pulled the trigger on my new pride and joy 2012 K1300S. Caught the train to Kent, plonked my rear onto the seat and at that very same second, the heavens opened!!!! So here's a vintage rider of some eight months sat astride a 175hp beast with a 200 odd mile trip around the M25 and M1 to contemplate! Need not have worried, she rides like a dream. Not twisted that twisty thing too far and will treat her with the respect she deserves, but can feel the potential - good job I'm not 25 or might not be here to type the tale... so will be reading your helpful tips and getting the experienced low downs on this wonderful machine. Probably ask a few daft questions along the way.

All the best
Kev

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Re: Hello from new member in sunny Barnsley
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 09:09:14 pm »
Hello and welcome aboard.
Just three words of advice "get extended warranty"  ;)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 10:55:03 pm »
Hi Kev and welcome to the madhouse that is EuroKClub  8)

Oh, and there are no daft questions in here, only inappropriate responses  ;D

I only have 'some' words of advice, the throttle works both ways!

The K13 doesn't like to be mollycoddled and responds best to a firm hand. I used to know a young lady like that back in....oh, never mind  ::)

I think, having just been out for the first ride since last year, that it can be a little overwhelming at first and the weight can seem intimidating if you pootle around too much. The firm hand is what is needed and hopefully you'll get a better result than I did with wassername  8)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 11:48:12 am by Phmode »

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 11:11:31 pm »
Welcome Kev - good write up, thanks.

You might want to consider an advanced riding course soon, to nip any odd habits that might build up.
There are some good courses out there. I did mine with the IAM (Coventry), and they're a good bunch.
For example, near you is:
https://iam-sheffield.bike/

You'll learn real-world stuff about how to approach corners, get the best view, positioning in town, getting in the correct gear early, etc.
Well worth the cost, I promise - and far more valuable than any piece of physical protection for staying alive, AND making 'good progress'.  ;D

Offline Blobby

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Fuel filler mod
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 06:38:43 am »
Hello Kev.. Just make sure you're on a nice open, straight and dry A road before giving it full beans.. Despite having ridden other powerful bikes the furocity of how quickly a 170+BHP bike accelerates still amazes me every time

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 08:15:31 am »
+1 for the advanced riding course, I am with the West Yorkshire IAM (WYAMS). They have a ride out every Tuesday from the Midland Hotel Woodlesford. Check it out, you won't regret it.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 08:45:57 am »
Hello and welcome. Great choice of bike and I'm sure the two of you will have many happy miles together.

I too support the advanced rider training suggestion. Normally, experience is what you get immediately after you need it, but advanced training will help fill the experience hole more quickly.

Ride safe and enjoy.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Kev220

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: HP rear sets, Remus Hexacone, Baehr gel seat, some posh levers, plastic mudguards, a dark wind shield thingy
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 06:13:09 pm »
Having read a few horror stories that definitely looks like a gold nugget piece of advice which I will take.

Regards,
Kev

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2018, 06:15:00 pm »
You will learn a lot Kev, it's one of the best thing I ever did second only to marrying my wife  ;D

Offline Kev220

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2018, 06:20:34 pm »
Hi Kev and welcome to the madhouse that is EuroKClub  8)

Oh, and there are no daft questions in here, only inappropriate responses  ;D

I only have 'some' words of advice, the throttle works both ways!

The K13 doesn't like to be mollycoddled and responds best to a firm hand. I used to know a young lady like that back in....oh, never mind  ::)

I think, having just been out for the first ride since last year, that it can be a little overwhelming at first and the weight can seem intimidating if you pootle around too much. The firm hand is what is needed and hopefully you'll get a better result than I did with wassername  8)

Thanks for the pointers, will heed your advice. Not struggling too much with the weight, maybe just the on/off throttle at very slow filtering speeds. Sure it will come with practice

All the best,
Kev

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2018, 06:23:14 pm »
I'm meeting up with a mate at Jemspeed Batley tomorrow who by coincidence is an IAM Observer (trainer for the uninitiated) you're welcome to come along if you have time and have a chat and a coffee or two.

Offline Kev220

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2018, 06:29:30 pm »
I'm meeting up with a mate at Jemspeed Batley tomorrow who by coincidence is an IAM Observer (trainer for the uninitiated) you're welcome to come along if you have time and have a chat and a coffee or two.

Hi Rae, thanks for the offer but got something on tomorrow. Seen your post on the IAM meet on Tuesdays. What time do you meet up please? would like to make the trip if I can

Regards,
Kev

Offline Kev220

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2018, 06:32:27 pm »
Welcome Kev - good write up, thanks.

You might want to consider an advanced riding course soon, to nip any odd habits that might build up.
There are some good courses out there. I did mine with the IAM (Coventry), and they're a good bunch.
For example, near you is:
https://iam-sheffield.bike/

You'll learn real-world stuff about how to approach corners, get the best view, positioning in town, getting in the correct gear early, etc.
Well worth the cost, I promise - and far more valuable than any piece of physical protection for staying alive, AND making 'good progress'.  ;D

Hi Mate,  sound advice so thanks for that. Rae is pretty close to me and hoping to meet up next week for the local IAM meet. Thanks for that
Kev

Offline Kev220

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2018, 06:34:01 pm »
Hello Kev.. Just make sure you're on a nice open, straight and dry A road before giving it full beans.. Despite having ridden other powerful bikes the furocity of how quickly a 170+BHP bike accelerates still amazes me every time

Hi, I will take the good advice once I get a little more experience.
Many Thanks
Kev

Offline Kev220

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2018, 06:36:03 pm »
Hello and welcome. Great choice of bike and I'm sure the two of you will have many happy miles together.

I too support the advanced rider training suggestion. Normally, experience is what you get immediately after you need it, but advanced training will help fill the experience hole more quickly.

Ride safe and enjoy.

Thanks for the good advice. Will do precisely that.
Many Thanks
Kev