Author Topic: New Windows 10 and Garmin Maps - problem  (Read 7803 times)

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
  • My K bike model:: K1300s 2009
  • Modifications and add-ons:: rear splash guard, Sargent seat and pod, 35mm bar risers
New Windows 10 and Garmin Maps - problem
« on: September 05, 2016, 11:16:32 am »
Nicked from the VFR forum and thought it might be of interest to members.

Thought I'd pass this on as it has been causing me a head-ache which can't be resolved, even with a lot of pooled experience amongst my colleagues in the business, lots of technical group searches and calls to Garmin .

So, the new Windows 10 update has increased security - a lot. It now uses cloud based technology to filter malware as well as a host of other security measures. The problem is, it now blocks any plug-in drivers from being installed if they aren't certified and installed in a specific way - which most aren't, including Garmin Express.

If you already had Garmin Express working before the Windows upgrade, it should still work, however if you try and install it after, it will still update the maps on your unit, but it won't let you install the maps on your PC; the button is "greyed out" because the plug-in has been blocked.

I've tried everything, including manually disabling all the new Windows security, cleaning Garmin Express from the computer manually and reinstalling it in admin mode - it still gets blocked

So if you find yourself in this position, I'm afraid that there is currently no solution other than to wait for the Garmin developers to release a fix (which I'm told they are working furiously on now). I managed to get a work-around by manually copying the installed maps from my laptop's internal drive to my desktop, but if you don't have multiple computers that may be a problem and it's not that easy to do if you don't know how to copy over and edit registry entries.

Hopefully this might save someone some pain anyway...

PS, I'd recommend you don't run any third-party anti-virus with the new Windows update. Normally Anti-virus disables the built-in Windows protection to prevent doubling up and the resulting problems and slow operation, but until the other vendors have caught up with the new windows structure there could be unpredictable results. Also, the built in "Defender" protection is now as good or better then third party offerings - and free, so I'd just use that
Its not always the destination that counts its the ride, having a destination just stops you going round in circles.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: New Windows 10 and Garmin Maps - problem
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 11:46:26 am »
Thanks for bringing this to the forum Ron, I applaud you!

Getting these big corporations to get their act together, together as it were, is a nightmare.

Brian (who hates Windows as much as he hates his 660)

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
  • My K bike model:: K1300s 2009
  • Modifications and add-ons:: rear splash guard, Sargent seat and pod, 35mm bar risers
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 05:08:42 pm »
Brian, if you want to really hate something get a Zumo 590.

There are more to read on the VFR forum so here is the link to the thread http://www.bikersoracle.com/vfr/forum/showthread.php?t=132422
Its not always the destination that counts its the ride, having a destination just stops you going round in circles.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 05:53:05 pm »
Thanks for nowt mate!

There is something that tells me that Garmin has lost the plot! I can understand why modern units don't have 'real' buttons like my much loved and missed Streetpilot 2820 which had a bunch of sensible buttons that allowed you to make it 'Speak' the last command if you missed it, go straight to the 'Menu' or the 'Map' and I can't remember the last one, 'Find' perhaps, all at thetouch of a finger and all by touch and without taking your eyes off the road.

Either way, I wasn't too dismayed to get a 'new' Garmin with no 'real' buttons, cost saving and all that plus less to go wrong. I naively assumed (doh  ::) ) that it would have soft buttons for such things, especially on the motorcycle specific model where instantly finding what you want is so important as every second spent looking at the Garmin is one second closer to an early death!

But no, no such thought! Wherever you have been in the menu, you have to work your way back, one touch at a time on the 'Back' button until you get to the main screen from where, at last, assuming you haven't run into a blind trucker reversing at speed, you can finally press the virtual 'Map' button so you can see the bloody thing once more with every single button press needing a stare at the screen  >:(

Do these seven year olds that write the bloody software every try to use the product? Of course not you dumbass  ::)

How easy would it be to have a large 'Map' button on the top left of every screen so that, by feel, one could instantly get back to the important bit?

Grrrrrrr!!

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 06:24:57 pm »
As I said before I use a map. And when I get my new bagster installed I will be able to see it on top of the bag. I find paper seems to remember things longer than electricity

Offline Blobby

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Fuel filler mod
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2016, 11:12:47 am »
Thanks for bringing this to the forum Ron, I applaud you!

Getting these big corporations to get their act together, together as it were, is a nightmare.

I hate anything MS & Windows.. I use my iPhone for a sat nav.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2016, 11:49:31 am »
I hear time and time again that people have problems with Garmin, either Basecamp or Mapsource and lots of associated glitches, I don't however see very often people complaining or asking for help with Tomtom products or software. I wonder why that is?

Bullet

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2016, 10:59:03 pm »
It does make you wonder how we ever used to manage without electronics  :-\ 

FJ got it right, should have had map reading classes in school instead of algebra and logarithms, something i use everyday now !

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2016, 11:03:28 pm »
I'd rather have a driver listening to turn-by-turn directions than one looking at a map; that's the same as texting or typing a reply to this post while driving! Lethal!

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2016, 10:01:09 am »
When we are touring I have my Tomtom 400 and if by chance that should give up I have the Tomtom app on my phone and if my phone went bang as well we have Melanies phone and would just have to bite the bullet and use Google Maps.
I do have paper maps ...... somewhere  ;D

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2016, 01:32:05 pm »
I'd rather have a driver listening to turn-by-turn directions than one looking at a map; that's the same as texting or typing a reply to this post while driving! Lethal!

Was talking to my dad about the change in dashboard technology and he remarked that you used to reach out and you knew by touch without taking your eyes off the road that what you wanted was 3rd switch on the right, nowadays you have to look at a screen and select from a menu

Offline Niall

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 08 K12GT SE
  • Modifications and add-ons:: More lights than a mod scooter
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2016, 02:44:03 pm »

I hate anything MS & Windows.. I use my iPhone for a sat nav.

That's OK, I hate all things Apple
Sospes persantas? Age! Fac ut diem...

Offline Niall

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2016, 02:47:42 pm »
I hear time and time again that people have problems with Garmin, either Basecamp or Mapsource and lots of associated glitches, I don't however see very often people complaining or asking for help with Tomtom products or software. I wonder why that is?

People don't buy TomTom?

The biggest complaints I know of for their products is their capacity to fall to pieces and appalling customer service, leading to customer going and buying.... a Garmin

Offline Niall

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2016, 02:52:03 pm »
As I said before I use a map. And when I get my new bagster installed I will be able to see it on top of the bag. I find paper seems to remember things longer than electricity

Paper maps don't tend to give you traffic updates, speed camera alerts, speed limit changes and invariably are more out of date than the electronic provided by a Sat nav manufacturer

There is also the capacity to carry the maps. With just a 660 or a phone, I can travel across Europe. With paper maps, I'll be rolling out the truck to have maps to the same level of detail

Personally, I like having the map at just below eye level and I am rather risk averse to looking at the tank instead of the road. Tried it, sure as hell didn't like it.

I have a small eTrex with OS GB installed, so again, I have some degree of capacity instead of buying loads and loads of paper maps

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2016, 03:08:12 pm »

People don't buy TomTom?

The biggest complaints I know of for their products is their capacity to fall to pieces and appalling customer service, leading to customer going and buying.... a Garmin
Not so, I have had excellent customer service from Tomtom. I think it's because Tomtom users don't have as much cause to complain as Garmin users.