Author Topic: Bike not starting.... press start and get a click ...everything else ok  (Read 5573 times)

Coully

The last 2 days when I've been stopping and turning the key to off the bike still kinda runs but dies gradually, where turning the key back to on she restarts . This has happened once before after I got her back from getting new plugs/ airbox / icv.  Yesterday when it happened I restarted gave it a min then stopped and she stopped. I checked at lunch time and she started ok ...filled her up and she did it when I got back to work so a quick once round the block and a few goes at turning off and was ok.run home was fine starting this morning fine  ...stopping at work it happened again and I just let it go this time . Didn't check at lunch time and I've come out and she won't start....just a click...lights on...dash on all ok but press start and just a click.
Went and bought a new battery just in case(was told when getting recalls done it needed a top up and a few cold mornings it's struggled )...fitted it ...nothing changes.

Starter motor? I've no clue and any help appreciated
Dunc (A bit desperate)

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Re: Bike not starting.... press start and get a click ...everything else ok
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 07:15:50 pm »
I think that's a new one on us Duncan. Not sure I have any ideas, someone else will be along shortly with some ideas.

Coully

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 07:29:14 pm »
Blimey...a new one for the books eh!
The cynic in me wants to think it's  not deliberate error on BMW s part..in rushing to put the bike back together they've maybe not tightened a wire or such. Given it happened the 1st time just after I got the bike back . But certainly then and yesterday I had taken it into reserve fuel ..  but today ..a full tank .

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 07:37:14 pm »
If the bike is dying slowly when the key is turned off it must have some residual current trickling through, or fuel is getting through after the key is turned off.

Coully

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 07:49:34 pm »
As it stands , bike left at work. Going to have to get it recovered tomorrow morning.
I'm thinking just to the nearest place which would be the honda garage,  if it's a straightforward swap out old part put in new .
Rather than the rigmarole with bmw..

Online Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 10:52:56 pm »
Well good luck with a BM in a Honda garage...I doubt they will even know where to start. And as to which part you think they are going to swap  :o

If a BM dealer fitted a new airbox and ICV then there are lots of pipes and stuff, the secondary air supply system etc. etc. and the set up of the ICV. I would have had it back to the dealer within minutes of the first problem and tell em to get it right. If the Honda dealer touches it then BM won't be too happy at having it back as 'someone else has been fiddling with it'.

Dieseling, or running-on is a pain and the causes can be numerous but a hot-spot in the combustion chamber is the most likely culprit and this is most commonly caused by the plugs. If you want to terrify yourself take a look here...

https://www.howacarworks.com/illustrations/causes-of-running-on

...or here...

https://axleaddict.com/auto-repair/Why-My-Engine-Keeps-Running

Wrong plugs can be a cause, (s'funny that they have just changed them) as can fuelling issues (s'funny they have just had the airbox and ICV out).

Get the BMW dealer to collect it and fix it. I can almost guarantee that it is their work that is causing it.

Coully

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 11:08:44 pm »
Noted, I only say honda as to the best of my knowledge , Aberdeen BMW have no technicians (as of the 21st dec) ....but I'll try them tomorrow

Coully

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 11:16:42 pm »
I should've after the 1st time but it was so close to Xmas and they'd stuck me with a wee 300cc puddle jumper I just wanted mine back.
And that was the 1st time it happened, then just the last couple of days .

Coully

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 11:17:40 pm »
I'm going to go in 1st thing tomorrow,  and get collection sorted and a courtesy bike

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 11:19:19 pm »
Noted, I only say honda as to the best of my knowledge , Aberdeen BMW have no technicians (as of the 21st dec) ....but I'll try them tomorrow

I'm confused. Are the technicians still on holiday, or do they literally have no technicians employed?
The latter deserves a call to BMW HQ to say "WTF are you playing at? How am I expected to keep my bike running? Please come and take it to a working BMW garage."

Coully

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2019, 11:20:34 pm »
Both have left ,
Which I find funny as they were trained up to do cars too,..why not up skill the car techs to do bikes eh!

Coully

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2019, 11:21:43 pm »
To the best of my knowledge I should add.
I think I recall being told a few years back that Aberdeen would send it's bikes to Dundee to get work done.

Coully

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2019, 09:53:41 am »
Just been in to bmw ...they have a bike tec and a new lad starting

Coully

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2019, 10:38:07 am »
Got to use recovery via insurance (Bennetts & RAC) , and ironically enough it's been contracted out to the same company bmw would use  :o, but hey ho.

Online Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2019, 10:49:17 am »
To the best of my knowledge I should add.
I think I recall being told a few years back that Aberdeen would send it's bikes to Dundee to get work done.

Back in the day when Cooper BMW in Reading had a Motorrad department, almost all of their bike work was put in a van and driven straight over to North Oxford Garage and then driven back again. And, having seen some of the work that came out of Coopers, the aforementioned relationship would have suited me much better   8)