Author Topic: Laphroaig vs Bowmore  (Read 8916 times)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Laphroaig vs Bowmore
« on: February 13, 2015, 03:24:54 am »
Just getting back into malts after a lifetime spent pickling me walnuts in gin  ::)

Getting close to the bottom of the Laphroaig 10 year old malt and was undecided where to head next when a bottle of Bowmore 15 year old came clattering through the letterbox, so that was the decision made for me; I'll be staying on the isle of Islay for a while.

Brian (too early for comparisons, but the Bowmore is shaping up nicely  ;D )

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
Re: Laphroaig vs Bowmore
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 09:47:26 am »
Best choice mate, 93 euros here, will stay put and conditioned with Balvenie DoubleWood 12 Year Old Speyside, 60euros.
Any way best addition to site by far. We from the south will learn a few for that water of fire.
See we too know something about malts
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 10:01:43 am by Costas »
Embrace the wind.

Offline bobtail

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S (05) departed but well loved! Now R1200RS I am now a Boxerboy.
  • Modifications and add-ons:: I had no bling on my K12 and was proud of it! And it never, ever let me down, honest! And it still had the o.e. battery going strong, honest!
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 10:47:49 am »
Bowmore: that's what the president of the USA drinks! Well at least in the series 'Scandal' ::)
Are we there yet? I said ARE WE THERE YET? I SAID ARE WE THERE YET?!!

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 03:28:25 pm »
Ah this has given me a bit of inspiration.  I'm almost done with my Nikka All Malt which I have very much enjoyed. 

I tried the Laphroaig at a friend's recently so might go there next.  Slowly I am working my way through the 101 Whiskies to Try Before You Die book.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Paul C

• Global Moderator
  • ...ooh, why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 04:52:00 pm »
I find the 10 year Laphroaig a little too aggressive on the smoky peat front for my taste. However, the Quarter Cask and the QA are more than palatable  :P
GSA, CCM GP450, Moto Guzzi Lemans II. Once had a K1200GT

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 05:32:40 pm »
I think the Bowmore is more at the acceptable end of the peaty scale while the Laphroaig 10 yo is at the OMG end of the scale but it does go wonderfully with a pipeful of old shag.

I intend to try the Quarter Cask as soon as the Bowmore has gone, which at its present rate of glugging will be in about 2 weeks time! The girlfriend, who can make a bottle of her favourite wine last a fortnight, has discovered she can sip the Bowmore neat and is currently doing so for England!

I can see we shall have to have the Bowmore as our house malt.

Brian (so many malts, so little time left)

Offline bobtail

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S (05) departed but well loved! Now R1200RS I am now a Boxerboy.
  • Modifications and add-ons:: I had no bling on my K12 and was proud of it! And it never, ever let me down, honest! And it still had the o.e. battery going strong, honest!
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 08:47:42 am »
Just seen Bowmore for sale in my local Tesco!!! Ordinary Bowmore for about £48 and a Bowmore Black 15 y.o. for nearer to £60.

Advice needed gents which to go for and are these reasonable prices?

Bob
Are we there yet? I said ARE WE THERE YET? I SAID ARE WE THERE YET?!!

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 10:51:53 am »
While not really a whiskey man had the opportunity to go around the Bowmore distillery having been on Jura for a clay pigeon shoot,bought my father a bottle of the 20 year old as they had sold out of the 30 year old at £100 that came in a black stone bottle and this was in the late nineties,one thing I learned anything older than 30 years and their not allowed to sell it as whiskey it's classed as a liquor.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200R Sport; 2007
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 07:25:34 am »
I'm not sure where that one came from, Chris, but to my knowledge, the only limitation regarding age for Scotch Whisky is the minimum 3 '
years' maturation in cask in Scotland. After that, you could leave it in the cask until the angels have drunk the lot, and it would still be Scotch Whisky! The brand owners, having spent a lot of money and effort persuading consumers that older whisky is better, make a tidy profit from whisky older than 30. However, one of the problems with the success of that marketing message about age is finding sufficient stock of the popular ages during boom times, like the industry has been experiencing in the past few years. There has already been comment on here about new offerings without an age statement...........

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2015, 07:29:06 am »
Just repeating what Bowmore tour guide said.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2015, 04:06:56 pm »
The Laphroaig 10 year is almost gone and the wonderful Bowmore 15 year is down to about 1/3 left, so sippable is it!

So, in a fit of unusual reasonableness, I just bought myself a bottle of 200th Anniversary 15 year old Laphroaig for my birthday!

Brian (who imagines a man is walking slowly across country with it cradled in his arms to keep it safe from the rigours of modern transport delivery systems  ::) )

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2015, 04:57:30 pm »
ahh yes birthday that always provided the perfect excuse for many of my actions.
And now that this was mentioned, maybe an addition to profiles visual to all should be the birthday,  just an excuse to extent our wishes, take a look might be a worthy addition.
Embrace the wind.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200R Sport; 2007
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2015, 05:53:32 pm »
You are good to yourself, Brian! That's one for a cold night in front of a roaring fire. Enjoy!