Author Topic: Not good.  (Read 13621 times)

gibbo

Re: Not good.
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2017, 07:17:12 am »
Another loyal BMW customer bites the dust. I just don't see their logic whatsoever.  >:( . That Multistrada is a nice looking bike though. Good luck with the new steed John and let us know how you get on with it. A piccie would be nice later on.  ;)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2017, 01:34:45 pm »
Possibly a very wise choice. One hopes you are only deserting the marque and not the madhouse 🤡

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2017, 02:09:08 pm »
FACT BMW’S retail price is crap pure unworthy shit.  We are stack with them , but thsi is what I love with this brand you're stack with it and you still ride it after 20,30 years or more with the same smile in your face.
We can always buy a decent  japan one for every day use .
Or in BMW case finance a part of some factory renovation by sticking to 3easy programme,  you're always with a new bike, but they are lifetime partners in your income.
Embrace the wind.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2017, 11:34:44 pm »
When I sold my R100RS many years ago and bought a new VFR750, I said that I would never buy another BMW.

I now have a K1300S and a R1150GS.

What went wrong? :o ::)
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

gibbo

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2017, 09:21:45 am »
When I sold my R100RS many years ago and bought a new VFR750, I said that I would never buy another BMW.

It's because you want to be a member of a select group of riders, and for previous BMW owners who've been bitten in the past, it takes great willpower not to go out and buy one despite all the fragilities of ownership. Many riders need to be accepted into some kind of clan with much in common with fellow members (like the EuroK Club). Must admit, I feel a bit out on a limb on this forum as I don't own a BMW now, but I like what I read and see, hence me hanging around reading forum members outings (which I enjoy) and their musings.

Who knows, in the past I've said I wouldn't buy another beemer due to my past experiences of the K, but memories start to mellow as time passes. You never know.  ;)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2017, 09:35:05 am »
We can always forward dealer's bills to you for encouragement and support in your time of need Jon 😂

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2017, 10:21:22 am »

It's because one of the things BMW have been very good at is designing bikes to meet the requirements of real world, on the road riders who don't necessarily want a bike that is best at one thing but is good at lots of things. BMWs used to prioritise practicality over fashion. It's one of the reasons why so many police forces used BMWs.

The sad thing is, I suspect that with the current BMW approach, those who "throw in the BMW towel" now are very unlikely to find themselves in your position (returning to the fold) in the future unless BMW make some radical changes to their approach. Both practicality and quality are being sacrificed at the alters of fashion and cost.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline lanerider

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1300r
  • Modifications and add-ons:: All sorts added on and still adding on and on cant see me stopping
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2017, 03:13:41 pm »
i bought my k13r because i liked the bike not to moan and groan that nobody wants a bmw when i move it on enjoy what you got life's to short to worry about selling it when im finished with it you will loose money on all bikes if you like your bike enjoy it im certainly happy with my bike and exspect to loose on it when i change to another bike but i have yet to find one better that does not have a chain and does not dive when i put the front brake on or wheelie when i give it gas ... thats my 2 peneth
lanerider

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2017, 04:07:43 pm »
Whilst all that is true Kris, the big killer is the fact that even the selling dealer won't buy it back in against a new or almost new bike!

Now, whilst it is many a long year since I bought new and traded back in with the same marque, I am fairly sure that even today a Japanese, American or Italian bike main dealer would offer a decent trade-in.

If the main dealer won't, why would any independent dealer? And many won't!

It is getting to the point where virtually new, undamaged bikes will be heading for Motorworks or James Sherlock because they are worth more in parts than as a rideable whole.

You may not care how much you lose when you come to sell, nor how difficult it might be to move it along, but I bet you are in a very small minority.

When non-bikers talk to me about my Black Beast their conversation nearly always includes positive terms like quality, reliability, service, longevity, back-up, premium product, classy, bullet-proof etc..

That was my perception when I first bought a BM and for the five years I owned my R1150GS I would say it matched up to my expectations, perhaps with the exception of the service aspect. Everything else was spot-on.

Eventually the young bloods who thrive on the RR and a Sunday blast or a few track days will grow up, marry, have kids and realise that the BMW way is a very expensive way to have a fairly ordinary biking experience once you have other commitments and especially when the lifestyle you bought into is no longer being supported by the dealers.

Like almost everyone else in here, I have to watch my pennies and also like almost everyone else in here, I too have no idea what will follow my second K bike once it goes. For sure, BMW don't want me and my values as a customer any longer.

Offline jqworle

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Ex K1600GT Sport owner
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2017, 06:56:54 pm »
I have loved my BMW experience , personally i have found it cheaper to run than my old ZZR1400, little things like getting a 10% discount off my 12,000 mile service because it was my birthday that day really give the added value and the fact that for me the warranty was solid gold is something i am going to miss, i am expecting the Duke to be a bit more expensive to run but not as bad as it used to be with 9000 mile service intervals, the 18000 mile is still an ouch moment though due to the valve check but that is atlas 3 years away for me .

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2017, 07:35:08 pm »

It's because one of the things BMW have been very good at is designing bikes to meet the requirements of real world, on the road riders who don't necessarily want a bike that is best at one thing but is good at lots of things.
Both practicality and quality are being sacrificed at the alters of fashion and cost.

Spot on.

I'm pinning my future biking an another K at some point - a 3 year old low mileage one, say in a year or two, and then by the time I've tired that one out run that one in, we'll have come back around to a sensible replacement - but not necessarily a BMW. Right now, I can't see anything else to replace it that I fit on, and does the job so well.

Offline lanerider

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1300r
  • Modifications and add-ons:: All sorts added on and still adding on and on cant see me stopping
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2017, 11:48:06 am »
i second that
lanerider

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2017, 12:26:22 pm »
Assuming BMW don't bring out a proper K1300S replacement (like the R1200RS with 150+bhp for example) then my next bike, likely to be in March 2019, will not be a BMW. I just hope Kawasaki don't ditch the ZZR1400PS before then!
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2017, 10:05:49 pm »
Ooh that ZZR1400PS looks nice!  The stock exhaust Eiffel Tower replicas always put me off, scale wise. That looks much nicer. And it has an economical riding indicator!!!!23344ohgodhelpus

"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2017, 11:00:42 pm »
... a proper K1300S replacement (like the R1200RS with 150+bhp for example)...

And a bit closer to vibe-free, please. With a tickover somewhere south of 1300 revs.
I know the newer ones are supposed to be smoother, but the 60 miles I had on the early model were disappointing. Nice suspension, though.
I was thinking it would be the next bike, but not at the moment - its too big a compromise.