Author Topic: Weight and subsequent oversteer  (Read 1445 times)

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Re: Weight and subsequent oversteer
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2024, 01:12:14 pm »
Take a look at this
https://youtu.be/gvFpGHarOO0?si=S3qT12i7owym_pAT
I'm not suggesting you aspire to this standard but it shows what can  be done once you have the confidence.

An absolute beginner compared to Chris Pfeiffer (RIP) though... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsLO05UZyi8
I saw that and thought it might be too ambitious.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2024, 01:44:41 pm »
This is, most likely,  another "look where you want to go" issue. While the bike is heavy and ponderous,  it sounds like you are not looking far enough into the distance.  Watch the US plod on their slow, lumbering HDs on the bike gymkhana and watch where they are looking when doing tight turns.

Good point. I especially found this on the BMW Off Road thing in Wales. There was no neighbour driveway there so it got hammered in pretty fast! I especially remember one loop we were playing on and I had to fit the wheels through a gap about as wide as them (steep fine grain slate either side) right after a tight left turn. The first time I ended up in a right state as I saw it and focused on it. The next and following several times round I kept my head up, focused on the other side, and nailed it.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2024, 06:37:55 pm »
The 'problem' with look where you want to go is that when 'where you want to go' is back on yourself round the neighbour's hedge, the furthest distance I can see is about 8 feet in front of me unless I want to go through the fence immediately opposite. Add uphill, gravel and deep deep ruts and it is a recipe for a bugger's muddle. At least that's my excuse, you get your own  :winkthumbs:

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2024, 06:42:21 pm »
Take a look at this
I'm not suggesting you aspire to this standard but it shows what can  be done once you have the confidence.

And he didn't start riding like that on a K16, rather a teeny dirt bike. And I was impressed till 1:30 when he dabbed...

Offline alaskier

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1600 GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Top case
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2024, 07:36:30 pm »
The 'problem' with look where you want to go is that when 'where you want to go' is back on yourself round the neighbour's hedge, the furthest distance I can see is about 8 feet in front of me unless I want to go through the fence immediately opposite. Add uphill, gravel and deep deep ruts and it is a recipe for a bugger's muddle. At least that's my excuse, you get your own  :winkthumbs:

:download:

My thoughts exactly
« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 07:39:08 pm by alaskier »

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2024, 09:13:24 pm »

:download:

My thoughts exactly

Looking where you want to go is THE key to successfully riding any motorcycle in any situation.  Giving yourself reasons for not doing it is never going to sort any issues.

It's not always possible to look exactly where you want to go for all sorts of reasons including a humans inability to turn their head through 180 degrees, but we can all make good efforts to get as close as possible and, most importantly,  we can all try to ensure don't look at where we don't want to go.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline GlynH

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2010 K1300GT EE
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Touratech heated seats
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2024, 07:57:32 am »
Take a look at this

Holy shit!  :D Can I even say that here?  ???

Makes it look so easy and then he really shows off at the end by riding one-handed, lifting a cone and then taking it for a ride before plonking it down on another!

And all this on a 300kg/700lb behemoth although as the video went on I could hear his bike getting lighter by the second as he wore his footpegs away!  ;)

The only bike I've owned that I could do anything like that on might have been my FS1-E which was 230kg/500lbs lighter with me being half the weight I currently am and almost 50 years younger back then!  ;D

-=Glyn=-

Offline Belco100

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: ex K12R Sport, K13GT, K13S, multiple K16GTs. But now Ducati Multi V4S & KTM 1290 SAS.
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2024, 09:27:27 am »
As per an earlier post I swapped my old K1300GT for a new (to me) 2022 K1600GT a few weeks ago. The new bike is absolutely fantastic except for its enormous weight and consequent oversteer. Do other K1600 riders have problems with their bike’s weight and if so how do they manage it, especially when riding under 10mph and/or manoeuvring tight spots. At the moment it is quite embarrassing turning right into my drive as I sometimes end up in my neighbour’s drive! I find that using the Road or even the Rain mode helps but it is still difficult to execute tight turns, especially with my wife on board. Gawd knows what it will be like in the summer when we tour Europe!!

Any help will be gratefully received.

Tony

Hi alaskier, as the previous owner of six K1600GTs I can say that it is probably one of the sweetest steering big bikes I have ever ridden. Just keep the tyre pressures at 42/42 or it will steer like a bus  ;D

Being quite large, the weight never really gave me a problem when manoeuvring, just a bit of forethought when parking to make sure your not backing out up hills. I only ever had the same problem as you once on when on a holiday in Wales, where you had to ride up a steep hill and turn left up a driveway which was almost a 360 degree turn back on yourself. Sometimes you just have to admit it is a very big bike and clumsy at walking pace. The first time I tried I got my missus to get off and walk across the road and up the drive, the second time I admitted defeat and just drove up the road to make a safe U-turn and coming back down the hill you could just slip off the road and straight up the drive.

I guess what I am asking is can you drop your wife of at the top of you drive, or come in from the other direction? I know these bikes are brilliant, but if it wasn't a problem with your K13GT then it does sound like you have a situation where the bike is causing problems and the only answer would be to change how you do things and look for options that can make things easier? :o

Offline alaskier

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2024, 05:21:08 pm »
To let you all know I have been reading a few internet pieces about how to ride slowly and make sharp turns so today I put myself on a speed awareness course. What a revelation! My confidence has returned and the bike’s weight no longer bothers me, or at least until I drop it it doesn’t. I might not be as proficient as Rae’s friend on the YouTube clip but at least I can turn in to my own driveway without ending up next door.

Thank you all for your help and advice. I always find that talking a problem through with other people is the best way to a satisfactory conclusion.

Best wishes all,
Tony

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2024, 05:32:20 pm »
Great news! Can you link us to the supplier of said course?
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2024, 05:45:41 pm »
I thought speed awareness courses were punishment for first time speeding offenders...

Offline alaskier

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2024, 05:52:55 pm »
Great news! Can you link us to the supplier of said course?
Just Google “how to ride a motorcycle slowly, slow speed control” and up they all come! Doesn’t cost a bean!!

Offline alaskier

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2024, 05:56:07 pm »
I thought speed awareness courses were punishment for first time speeding offenders...

Some times a little education goes a long way. It certainly makes you think about all those bad habits you have picked up over the years

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2024, 06:04:11 pm »
Studied more of those vids than I can remember, still can't ride slowly for toffee. OK at speed, some say, it's just getting there that is the problem...

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2024, 06:10:19 pm »
I'm confused. But I just switched from French to Australian Shiraz so it's probably that.