Author Topic: Duck V4S  (Read 3621 times)

gibbo

Duck V4S
« on: November 28, 2019, 10:54:42 am »
Mentioning in a previous post about Ducks and Kwackers, here's a nice example of a said Duck (available Spring 2020)

As a fan of some naked bikes, this is a good example which might set the adrenalin moving faster than usual. Nice...…...…………….. :)

It's a DUKE now, so I've been informed by higher up.  :) 

Hold on a minute. Don't KTM do a Duke? Damn it! I'm calling the above bike a duck from now on.  :)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 09:11:22 am by gibbo »

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: Duck V4S
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2019, 04:00:05 pm »
Now if they converted that into something usable, it might be a bit more tempting.

But Ducati insist on chasing the usual adventure tourer market.* Hey ho. Some of us don't want to sit bolt upright (well not yet - give it another few years, and I might be creaky enough for an 'adventure').

Maybe plug that engine into this - but obviously a modern equivalent:

*Same goes for Triumph. Having been highly impressed by the factory tour, I'd like to buy British.

gibbo

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 04:48:16 pm »
I see your point Rich. The ST4 looks like the Grandad of Multistrada. We need two piccies of the ST4 and Multistrada together for comparisons.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2019, 05:34:14 pm »
Side by side is pushing it for space, but here's one below.
Which of the two 'tourers' looks more usable to you?

And only you can tell me which year this is.  ;D

(Edit: Although in it's defence, I did travel round Scotland with another rider on one, and he was reasonably happy.)

« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 11:53:46 am by richtea »

gibbo

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2019, 09:25:00 am »
If memory serves, the ST4 started life in the late 90's? As for the latest incarnation I'm shafted as there were about three different engine sizes (at least). And, I'm not sure which model that is. Back to you Rich.  :)

Offline flatfour

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 1300 GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Headlight protector, clear front indicators
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2019, 02:35:24 pm »
I owned an ST2 from 2003 - 2007. It was reputed to be the last one imported into the country before the ST3 arrived and was a good bike, with many miles in France and Spain covered during those four years.

Problems were limited to the paint flaking from the underside of the engine and a leak from the clutch slave cylinder (much later on, not the cause of the flaking paint). On tours, others always said that I should call the breakdown service before we started riding for the day, yet it was without exception the one that finished the trip without problems. The downside of ownership was that, as the dealer once remarked to me, they do sound like a cement mixer when idling!

In the end, I sold it solely because the local dealer closed (the second in a short time) leaving me with a 140 mile round trip for any work that I was unable or unwilling to carry out myself.

I really do think it's a great pity that Ducati did not persist with the sport touring range. Whilst I agree that the Multistrada could do everything that the ST could, it has a totally different feel to it and, with its very high pillion footrests, would not ever suit our needs.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2019, 03:11:18 pm »
If memory serves, the ST4 started life in the late 90's? As for the latest incarnation I'm shafted as there were about three different engine sizes (at least). And, I'm not sure which model that is. Back to you Rich.  :)

I think the ST4S (the bike in the picture above) was a 1000cc and used a detuned 996 engine while the ST4 was the detuned 916 engine.

The ST4S may just have been a 2000 bike, although may have "scarped" 1999.

I preferred the Aprilia Futura! :D
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2019, 03:55:49 pm »
Brings back some memories had a 3/4 year spell working for Ducati freelance a lot PR stuff track days etc first question I put to them ‘When are you going to put the water cooled motor in the Multistrada and there was great resistance not only from insiders in the company but from the owners club much huffing and puffing about water pipes etc being able to be seen.

Finally when it arrived got a highly amusing phone call from the great and the good ‘Hey Canning seeing as you’ve asking about one for so long better come down and ride it’  :) :)

Very kind man dropped one off for a week but we never got on with it although the flybywire on the later ones is way better.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 05:34:48 pm by chriscanning »

Online Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2019, 09:45:12 pm »
Where does the Supersport fit into this history? I mean the current one. V twin, 110hp or thereabouts, bars a bit high but not multistrada high. Sports fairings but "it's not a supersports!" says Ducati.

I sat on one at MotoGP and it seemed ok, though the plastic tat pretending to be the side of a cylinder head was rather strange.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2019, 10:01:14 pm »
Ah, good spot, Matt. I didn't even know it existed any more. It's not the same as the older model obviously, but it's aimed at a similar 'one notch down' market.
Price isn't bad with the touring pack thrown in for free:
https://www.ducati.com/gb/en/current-offers/supersport-touring-pack-offer

Touring Pack (includes Panniers, Heated Grips, and Touring Screen)
110BHP - it's not in K territory, but still nice.

And a Nintendo Switch thrown in for free? I can definitely see the word 'Player' in there: ;)

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2019, 09:39:26 am »
I borrowed this off a mate last year for 3 weeks took the part worn Angels off and fitted Mich 5's

That impressed I bought this.

As is the way there's always a glitch not the riding position or the if's and but's of reliability?? but finding the right dealer think I/we went in 5 or 6 before being happy and that was Redline.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 09:49:33 am by chriscanning »

Online Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2019, 01:54:12 pm »
Rich: hah! Yeah I believe it's a fair bit lighter which made me give it a bit more time. That dash is fully embracing the trend! Thank god it has...whatever DQS-U/D IS... ok can probably guess that one.

Depending on my employment status it's on next year's list.

As is that GT Chris got! I sat on one when I'd forgot to take my plastic licence bit to Oxford KTM in the summer. Felt a bit higher but also new position and not actually rose it so who knows.

You make a good point in dealers Chris. I tried... 2 other BMW dealers before finding and being happy with Maidenhead. Any brand change involves me consideing that potential pain in the arse.

Anyway, I just force carbonated my pretend some kind of lager I made, so I'm off to pour a pint of foam!

Edit: oh yeah! One thing that annoys me with KTM is the constant flipping colour scheme changes, and that with at least the R I want half one scheme and half the other! And they better not do that ridiculous discount to get rid of new stock again. As a potential owner that opinion comes from!
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2019, 08:43:58 am »
Talking of dealers are after Clark’s on the Lickie hills closed do not have a decent local BM dealer.

Re Ducati at the end of their V Twin journey got themselves in a pickle with the Panigali big pistons short skirt and short stroke although they did get rid of the cam belts for a cam chain,problem being the motor lost its classic bottom end grunt,I know guys who went back to the 1198.

Re KTM pricing oh blimey...... one certainly needs ones dancing shoes on so as not to pay too much but theirs no doubting their racing heritage when riding one.