Author Topic: Extended carbon fibre front mudguard!  (Read 25029 times)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Extended carbon fibre front mudguard!
« on: January 20, 2016, 02:19:19 pm »
I have just had a rather exciting conversation with the director of an English carbon fibre company. His company makes a ridiculously affordable carbon front mudguard for the K12/13S. This product is currently out of production due to a defect in the mould they have which produces a slight twist in the finished article. Although most owners would never notice this defect, they are not happy to continue selling them with this twist.

So here's the real twist. This guy has previously owned two K12S's and a K13S and knows the issues of the short mudguard only too well. He is fully aware of the cracking at the top of the rear section on the standard mudguard. He is also fully aware of the market in fender extenders, especially for the K bike.

His company are currently majoring on some non-carbon products which will hopefully be the short term bread and butter of the company.

But here's the thing. He is fully committed to looking into the feasibility of producing an extended carbon front mudguard for the K12/13S; potentially a much neater solution to the rotting radiator problems than using a stick-on extender, which in my case, never did!

So, two questions, firstly, how many of us might be up for an extended front mudguard in great quality English produced carbon fibre?

Secondly, does anyone out there have a 'spare' front mudguard that they can have a play with. Guaranteed no damage and perhaps a discount on any future product into the bargain. If it meant it being a go'er, I offered to buy him a new one but he balked at this offer and would obviously buy his own if this goes ahead.

Brian (who has his name down for the first off the production line so please form an orderly queue behind him)

PS The last thing this guy needs is all 180 members bending his ear, so please, let's keep this in house for the time being.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
Re: Extended carbon fibre front mudguard!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 03:34:21 pm »
Are they all the same?

« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 03:43:25 pm by chriscanning »

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 03:43:39 pm »
Knew I could rely on you Chris  8)

As far as I know all the S models are the same; shame about the GT and R guys!

Are you happy to loan it?

Brian

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 03:45:41 pm »
I am  :) the bad news I don't want one I'm way too much of a slave to fashion for such things  ::) so wait and see if there are any other offers and if not I'll send it to you,bloody hell it was cold in the loft  :o

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 03:54:03 pm »
Ha ha! Funny, I was just up in mine looking for my pond heater, the fishshivering under a blanket of 1/2 inch thick ice!

Rather than send it to me, I'll get in touch with the guy and get his delivery address for you.

If this comes off, you will receive many plaudits and far too many rewards in heaven.

Brian

Offline Expo

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1300s
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 04:47:21 pm »
Seems like the holy grail you've been seeking all those years Brian. Would like to register my interest in it
"Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence."

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 04:51:52 pm »
It's early days but it mit just come off. Your interest is duly registered.

Brian

As an aside, the guy is interested to know how 'long' the new mudguard should be. So, waddayerall think? I reckon as big as if it had a Pyramid Plastics Extenda Fenda fitted. Lemme know!

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 05:30:57 pm »
Put me down for one Brian. Let's hope it goes ahead because I will not be fitting a Fenda Extenda.

A carbon fibre rear hugger would be good at the right price.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 05:48:12 pm »
Their currently 'out of stock' stock carbon mudguard retails for less than £100. I reckon a longer one would have more buyers and at, let's say, £125 - £150 should see em flying off the shelves!

Your interest was assumed, but is duly noted!

Brian

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 05:52:27 pm »
I'm assuming that it will be strengthened in the area where it tends to flex too much when an extender is fitted.

Not sure if I would prefer a gloss carbon fibre finish or a finish suitable for spraying white.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2016, 06:21:33 pm »
I'd take one

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2016, 07:11:32 pm »
According to them, the inherent stiffness in a carbon fibre item would preclude any flexing, which is what causes the cracking.

I guess the market is too small for different finishes so it will be full gloss to match the Ilmberger hugger.

Brian

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2016, 07:12:16 pm »
I'd take one

Duly noted; I thought you might!

Brian

Offline Greenman

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: A 2009 my 1300s (maybe the sport model as it has all the options)
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Zumo 550, optimate, rear rack, tail packs, panniers, front and rear R&G axle protectors.
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2016, 08:03:54 pm »
I'm in!

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2016, 08:15:02 pm »
Normally, I hate carbon this and that, but having inherited an Ilmberger hugger I'll make an exception for a decent extended mudguard.
Count me in, Brain, but please could you get an indicative price, to make sure its reasonable.

And do we get some input into the dimensions (length, width at bottom, etc)?
I have a hacked extender which probably does a half-good job, but since I've never ridden it without it, its difficult to gauge what splatters I'd get without it.

We'll need a splatter test  ;D

Re pricing, here are some prices for std length mudguards:

http://www.the-carbon-king.com/Product/TCKBK__and__KCFFMFF3_0140/BMW-K1200S,-K1300S-K1200R-Sport-CARBON-FIBRE-FRONT-MUDGUARD-IN-PLAIN-WEAVE
£170, but a slight second.

http://creamcarbon.co.uk/bmw-k1200s-and-k1300s-carbon-front-mudguard-fender.html
£99 (sounds too cheap, but who knows)

http://www.vinesmotorradshop.co.uk/product/K1300S_HP_Series_Carbon_front_mudguard_SCFFM
£282.  Ho ho

https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop/Parts.php?T=5&NU=15&M=50&Ct=OM&SbCt=BA_15_50_OM_55
£215